Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tracking needs doing!
robcool

posted on 13/6/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Tracking needs doing!

Hello people

Wondering if anyone can help me? I need to adjust the tracking of my locost 7 as I am getting wear on the inside of the tyre.
I am not shore what it is set too at the moment. Has anyone got any idea what will be the best setting?

Cheers

Rob

myeates

posted on 13/6/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
i set mine to 0 degrees last year and seems fine. mine was doing the same with wearing the inside edge of the tire
robcool

posted on 13/6/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
yeh well that what i was thinking about setting it to.
thanx

austin man

posted on 13/6/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I set mine up using a laser level marked an equal measure at the front and rear of the tyre held the level flat on the rim and aimed it at the line front and rear, then measure distance between the fron marks and the rear marks and adjust to suit.

Took it to be tracked and it was spot on

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dusty

posted on 13/6/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Agree it's probably tracking but excessive negative camber can do this too.
britishtrident

posted on 13/6/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Camber first then toe-in --- also check the tyre pressures aren't on the high side.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RazMan

posted on 13/6/10 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Camber first then toe-in --- also check the tyre pressures aren't on the high side.

Surely excessive side wear normally indicates that pressure is too soft doesn't it? High pressure wears the centre too quickly.

I would set the tracking with a fraction of toe in (0.5mm ish) This allows for any slack to be taken up and tends to make the steering less twitchy.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 14/6/10 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
If the pressure is to high the tyre wall won't conform to the road so if the camber is wrong it will only run on one edge of the tyre.

Steel belted radials don't change shape as much with as pressure as old fashioned textile radials or xplys.

Most modern low profile steel belted radials the crown of the tyre is designed depressed when deflated and because the steel belt doesn't stretch much remains that way when under pressure. Or to put it another way the shape and outer diameter of the tyre tread dosen't change much with with changes in pressure.

[Edited on 14/6/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.