Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Options to convert Open to LSD diff
JoaoCaldeira

posted on 16/6/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Options to convert Open to LSD diff

Hi all.

I have a LHD MNR with a 7" 3.62 open diff, push in halfshafts, originally fitted with drums.

During the last trackday, while alone (on the left side of the car ), I was having grip problems on all slow corners to the right side:
During the exit, I was losing quite a lot of time managing the throttle, because if I floored it, I could hear the wheel spinning, and there was no further accelaration.
With a passenger, I could floor it and I was able to put down the power.

Also, I was hitting the rev limiter for the last few hundred meters of Estoril GP straight.

In order do overcome this 2 problems, I was thinking about converting to LSD and lowering the ratio.

I recon that I can't change the internals to Sierra LSD, and I don't want to change diff / halshafts / ...

Is there any other feasable option (not to expensive) like AP Suretrac or Quaife?

What are your opinions?
Thanks in advance,
Joao

coozer

posted on 16/6/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheapest option is the back end out of a 2wd Cosworth or DOHC Sierra.

Aftermarket LSD's cost a fortune!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Johneturbo

posted on 16/6/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
The Cheapest option is to get a lsd diff about £150/£200

and buy two inner lobro joints then use ur push in driveshafts.. BUT and it's a big BUT that's if ur push in drivehshafts have the right number of splines to match up with the inner lobro

and sadly the only way of knowing is to cut open the inner joint of the push in.

if it's a match then you can keep shafts/hubs the same ie push in on the outta joint and bolt on for the inner joint

i tried this with an old pair of push in shafts and they were the wrong type ) can't remember the number of splines)

so i ended up chaging the whole rear end shafts/hubs and also had to get mnr to make me new rear uprights!

[Edited on 16/6/10 by Johneturbo]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.