Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall's electric car will make history today
Ninehigh

posted on 22/6/10 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall's electric car will make history today

By making the trip from Luton to Ellesmere Port.

Apparently it'll be the longest single trip by an electric car. I hope they do it so I can tell them to "stop messing about and bring it out already"

coozer

posted on 22/6/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Get away, there's already been longer trips than that in EV's...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

balidey

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I think this one is being classed as the longest as Vauxhall are not using batteries, its a really long extension lead*

* actually several all plugged into each other. They would have gone further but they didn't know how to unwind those ones on drums

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

MikeRJ

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
The annual Solar Challenge in Australia is from Darwin to Adelaide, about 1877 miles...
Ninehigh

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I dunno that's what they said on the news, it might be longest in Britain, or longest with an electric production car (I'm sure the range on that G "Whizz" isn't too far)

karlak

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Quote -

A PROTOTYPE Vauxhall electric car that could be built in Cheshire is set to make the longest-ever journey by an electric car on British roads.

The new Ampera – which will go on sale in the UK in early 2012 – will be driven on Tuesday from Vauxhall’s Luton headquarters to its Ellesmere Port manufacturing plant, a journey of more than 170 miles.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

blakep82

posted on 22/6/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
hmm doesn't look too bad

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Rob Palin

posted on 22/6/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, shame the Ampera isn't actually an electric car. It's a (thankfully) restyled and rebadged version of the Chevvy Volt range-extended hybrid. It can only do about 40 miles on batteries and there's still a petrol engine on board.

And there is already an EV that will do 245 miles on batteries alone. The Tesla Roadster. One did 313 miles on a trip across Australia. They'll also do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds and 125mph. A bit pricier though!

Ninehigh

posted on 22/6/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Iirc the original blurb said that it was a hybrid, but it relied mainly on the electric while the petrol motor was for charging... Let me check it and get back

Yep from what I can see here the petrol motor doesn't drive the wheels whatsoever, and theoretically if you work less than 40 miles away you could get away with not using any petrol at all.

[Edited on 22/6/10 by Ninehigh]

Rob Palin

posted on 22/6/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
That's what they mean by "range-extended hybrid". The engine is really there jsut to drive a big alternator, and doesn't actually drive the wheels, as you say.

I do think this type of REEV arrangement is the near-future for most 'transport only' cars, but just wanted to point out that it isn't a true Electric Vehicle. Driving it from Luton to Ellesmere point isn't especially difficult and not really a news item at all - it'll still reply on burning petrol in an ICE to get it that far.

It seems like a pre-emptive move in case people think it's an EV and get that notorious 'range anxiety'. Strange though that they don't emphasise the really big benefit which is that possibility of a zero-CO2 daily commute for many people.

Ninehigh

posted on 22/6/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah and if they actually build it up here then there'll be about 7000 made over the next couple of years, as the entire staff will be able to get to work for pretty much free.

And I'm still undecided if it looks bloody angry or not.

smart51

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I like it. The engine driving a generator to charge the batteries type of electric vehicle is the best type of EV at the moment. It's what I would do if I were making one. It even looks nice. How much will they be? If its the price of a normal car, I'll buy one.

Ninehigh

posted on 23/6/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted to do something similar on the 7..

Emailed Vauxhall about it, hopefully I'll get a reply soon and post it here.

Ninehigh

posted on 24/6/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Becky Lancaster, Vauxhall customer service manager
Dear Mr Bridge

Thank you for your email dated 23 June 2010, regarding the new Vauxhall Ampera.

Regrettably, at this moment in time we have no indication as to the prices of the new Ampera, as it is still at the development stage. May I suggest you remain in contact with the Sales Manager at your local or preferred Vauxhall dealership, who will be happy to keep you informed on future developments.

May I thank you once again for taking the time to contact us and allowing me the opportunity to comment.

Yours sincerely

Rob Palin

posted on 28/6/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/28/uk-tesla-superfan-goes-772-miles-from-london-to-lands-end-in-a-r/
JoelP

posted on 1/10/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
resurection alert!

ISTR the ampera will be £28k, which i think largely eliminates the benefit of saving a maximum of 80 miles of fuel (40 commute with a charge whilst working). Assuming an alternative normal car would do that trip on 2 gallons or maybe £12, so over a 250 day working year, £3000 of fuel would become (if 2p a mile is correct as they state) £400 of electricity (or £200 if your employer didnt bill you for the charge at their end!).

Saving £2.5k a year wouldnt persuade me to spend £28k, esp with the exposure to expenses such as battery replacements.

And that example is the ideal situation, others might only save a grand a year.

When the price comes down, and petrol goes up, it will make more economic sense.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 1/10/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
They're actually making it?

morcus

posted on 2/10/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that the when the engine is used to generate electricity you got more miles per gallon than you would from a normal car so the total saving would be more per year (Though as you say paying £28k for a car to save money is nonsense). The engine only needs to drive the generator so has no ancincleries and is less complex, added to this what you doing doesn't have much bearing on the engine so when your breaking or stopped your not wasting fuel and you get the benefits of all the power available all the time.

I love the idea but I couldn't afford one and wouldn't trust a used one (In the future).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Neville Jones

posted on 2/10/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I worked on an electric project for an old fella for a number of years. A car slightly smaller than an (Austin) Mini, did over 120 miles on 6 deep duty truck sized batteries. 50mph in 4 secs, but only 50mph max! Project died with the old guy about 5 years ago.

I'll be using all the same running gear in a classic Mini copy, just as soon as I get the moulds finished. Tax exempt, no congestion fee and no parking charges in City of London. For a local runabout it should be great, and about 70 pence to fully charge, or zero if I charge it during the day from the solar.

The big misconception about most electric 'hybrids', is that 99% are just petrol engines with an electric transmission, and batteries for a buffer. Just like trains!

Cheers,
Nev.

JoelP

posted on 2/10/11 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Very true there nev, but hopefully as technology improves the all electric range will improve. Am i right in saying that cars like the toyota prius start the engine very soon after setting off, and aim to keep the batteries full? This defeats the point, since really you want to charge the batteries from a cheap source.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Rob Palin

posted on 4/10/11 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
The Ampera is just the Europeanised version of the Chevy Volt which is already out for sale here in the States (tho few are actually buying it). It's a 'parallel hybrid', in that either the electric motor or the gasoline motor can drive the wheels. It's actually a really cool system but the car it's in and the surrounding politics and marketing disaster have made the whole thing a sorry tale.

The Volt can drive up to 40ish miles on pure electric power, though the engine kicks in at higher speeds both for extra power and because it's just more efficient than using the electric motor at high rpms. The Prius can't stay fully electric for very long at all (even the new plug-in one is just 13 miles), and not at all at higher speeds, but overall the system works so well that you still get very good mpg. The difference is that there are people with Chevy Volts saying that they can manage most of their daily lives with just that 40 electric miles per day and so only have to fill up with petrol every few months. Pretty good going!

Fully electric is the (rapidly approaching) future, but these aren't bad efforts for right now, and the Ampera looks a damn sight better than the butt-ugly Volt and will hopefully be a bit classier inside!

Ninehigh

posted on 4/10/11 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Of course it will look great, all concepts do!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.