Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 (2003) sump oil leak
r1_manx

posted on 4/7/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
R1 (2003) sump oil leak

Hey guys,

I've had a great couple of days on my bike engined mini, getting the engine frame tweaked to fit (it distorted when it was finish welded) and fixing an overpulled clutch (classic R1 issue!). I had a brain out of gear moment when after getting the frame uber hot in order to tweak it, I proceeded to rest my arm on it and have a tasty burn to show for it now! Anyway, I managed to get the engine back in and all wired and plumbed up again, and she was sounding sweet, but I noticed a small and very slow oil leak from the middle of the sump. I had a look from underneath and it's a small hole (2mm diameter) in the sump which from looking at the digital manual, appears to be the thin oil drain pipe outlet and I am thinking it could be a duff O ring? Has anyone else experienced this on their R1 please? I only have to take the exhaust manifold off to remove the sump in situ so if it is just the O ring, I think that could be the next step. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Ben

If im not in action, im in traction!

fesycresy

posted on 4/7/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Get 2x O rings for either side of the water tube.

Don't forget to lube them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

adithorp

posted on 4/7/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
The hole is the leak off pipe from the waterpump. It's there so that should the water pump seal leak it doesn't leak water into the sump. There should be an O ring on it. They have a habit of getting knicked as you put the sump on and leaking oil.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

r1_manx

posted on 4/7/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
great stuff, thanks guys! I'll get the sump off tomorrow and will replace the O-rings.

If im not in action, im in traction!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.