Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A little disapointed really...
carpmart

posted on 11/7/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
A little disapointed really...

I was at the F1 race at Silverstone today and I have to say that despite a brilliant 3 days including camping etc, the racing is just too sterile!

I actually direct this comment at all the support races too particularly the slicks and wings ones but the F1 has just left me dissapointed! These cars are just so aero sensitive that they are running a minimum of 100 meters apart. The last time I went to an F1 race was 1999 and I am sure the cars ran closer (Much closer) than they were today.

I watch F1 all the time on the TV but I hadn't appreciated in quite the way I did today, just how bad the current F1 racing is!

Something needs to change quickly or I'm going to stay watching club motorsport as they run close and overtake each other! I didn't see anyone within 100m of each other through Maggots and Beckits today!

Anyway, mini rant over....... whats the solution?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

daviep

posted on 11/7/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
....... whats the solution?

Watch MOTO GP or MOTO 2 proper racing by blokes with big balls.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

GreigM

posted on 11/7/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't agree more. I've given up going to "big" motorsports events and instead go to my local race days (at Knockhill for me). The boys racing in some of the "cheap" series really do provide a great spectator event....full commitment, pushing, shoving, drafting, nudging, sideways at every corner - thats what its all about.

Go and see a "legends" (or even caterham/westifeld/7 style) race, now thats good entertainment

deezee

posted on 11/7/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Watch some BTCC instead. They regularly push each other around the track!

Steve Hignett

posted on 11/7/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Welderman Joe has been there the whole weekend too, but I've not spoken to him to know whether he enjoyed it or not - Hope he did mind as it was a pressie from his missus!

Talon Motorsport

posted on 11/7/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
For tarmac racing it has to be BTCC but I like Autograss (grasstrack) racing it can be as cheap as £300 a car and theres theres 50 clubs around the country.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 11/7/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
As above watch motogp or wsb.

Real talent on display and about 10000000 times more overtaking

StevieB

posted on 11/7/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
My neighbour has been marshelling all weekend. Not only does he get free access and camping, but he gets the best seats in the house as well (last year he was opposite the pit exit). That along with the bbq's that are thrown on for them as a thanks.

Hard to be dissapointed when you do it all for free (and a bit of work on your part, but he said last year he never had to get our of his deck chair all weekend).

Next year I'm geting my name down for that job, otherwise I'll go to quali day to see the spectacle of F1 cars at their very fastest and then watch the race from home on TV.

I've always thought it's a better TV sport than live event nyway as it can get a bit complicated to know what the hell's going on when it comes to pit stops etc.

greggors84

posted on 11/7/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
The problem I find is for the race you are limited to one corner or complex really. Maggots and Becketts are a bit too quick in an F1 car for much over taking.

A race like Le Mans is good as you can watch from almost every corner over the race distance and although there isnt much racing for position it is still a spectacle. Talking about Moto GP, the only race I went last year at Estoril was probably the most boring of the year!

Got to say though, I have been to all the European GPs this year and the atmosphere at Silverstone is amazing. The first few laps I watched the crowd were going mad when Hamilton was getting close to Webber, such a buzz in a big place like that.

Have been there since wednesday and have heard people saying that part of the new complex has had some good action over the weekend. There was definitely some action in our (GP3) races apart from that I managed to watch the start of the F1 race and that was it! Although I was home by 3pm instead of 3am like most race weekends!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

LBMEFM

posted on 12/7/10 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
Agree Bikes Bikes Bikes: MotoGP, WSB and BSB all will give you edge of the seat overtaking on most laps.
MikeR

posted on 12/7/10 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
if you want to make F1 close you need to lose the aero, therefore allowing the cars to run close.
carpmart

posted on 12/7/10 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
The problem I find is for the race you are limited to one corner or complex really. Maggots and Becketts are a bit too quick in an F1 car for much over taking.

A race like Le Mans is good as you can watch from almost every corner over the race distance and although there isnt much racing for position it is still a spectacle. Talking about Moto GP, the only race I went last year at Estoril was probably the most boring of the year!

Got to say though, I have been to all the European GPs this year and the atmosphere at Silverstone is amazing. The first few laps I watched the crowd were going mad when Hamilton was getting close to Webber, such a buzz in a big place like that.

Have been there since wednesday and have heard people saying that part of the new complex has had some good action over the weekend. There was definitely some action in our (GP3) races apart from that I managed to watch the start of the F1 race and that was it! Although I was home by 3pm instead of 3am like most race weekends!

I wasn't expecting overtaking at Magotts and Becketts, just love the speed through there. I also love the atmosphere of Silverstone and enjoyed the whole weekend from Thu - Sun. I was just expecting the cars to be a little closer!

For me, F1 is just too sterile!

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

carpmart

posted on 12/7/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
if you want to make F1 close you need to lose the aero, therefore allowing the cars to run close.

I agree and said this as I started the thread, the question is how do they loose the Aero?

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

carpmart

posted on 12/7/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
OK, some good comments from everyone but unfortunately slightly missing the point of my post.

How can F1 be made more exciting/competitive/closer racing?

Random rain showers (sprinklers)?
Swapping of cars by drivers through the season?
Properly reduced Aero?
Random drive through penalties?

The above are somewhat tongue in cheek but in my mind something NEEDS to change.

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

welderman

posted on 12/7/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Welderman Joe has been there the whole weekend too, but I've not spoken to him to know whether he enjoyed it or not - Hope he did mind as it was a pressie from his missus!

Had a great weekend, i thought the racing was good from where i was sitting, wife did me proud, camping was good all, got some fantastic pictures of the cars, no ladies im afraid, will post some up later when im not so busy at work.
IT WAS VERY HOT THOUGH !!!

Joe

welderman

posted on 12/7/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
tester not sure on file size and the bloody sd card is corrupt so ive lost over 100 pictures, gutted

pic wont show must be too big, was the one were sutil under took shoemaker if you can imagine

[Edited on 12/7/10 by welderman]

james h

posted on 12/7/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I went for my first grand prix, and and had seats at Beckett's - absolutely loved it! The speed that they went through there was incredible, and we had a great view of the infield section too.

The support races were pretty entertaining, much closer racing too.

I have quite a few photos and vids, will get them up as soon as possible.

James

scootz

posted on 12/7/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've got to say that I loved my first GP.

We used to go every year, but I started to find that the anticipation was no longer living up to the reality!

Think I'll try and save a few quid and go to one of the middle or far eastern circuits next time as part of a twin-centre hol.

Long weekend in Abu Dhabi followed by a week in the Maldives

Did I ever mention that I had an MX5 engine and gearbox for sale!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

welderman

posted on 12/7/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
again

after the picture a marshall ran out to collect a bit of the shoemakers car, he got a big cheer

[Edited on 12/7/10 by welderman] Rescued attachment Silverstone GP 2010 272resize.jpg
Rescued attachment Silverstone GP 2010 272resize.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.