Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: reverse gear
david

posted on 13/7/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
reverse gear

i have fitted a electric reverse gear and want to use it only when the gearbox is in net. The fireblade net. operates the earth. I have power to the net. warning light and when the net. is selected the warning light comes on. How do I get the live to come on only in net.. do i need an other relay. hope this is clear. any circuit or help would be welcome. David
Stott

posted on 13/7/10 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
You could have the power to the starter solenoid through a relay. Standard 30a automotive type.

The connections would be switched live to terminal 85, terminal 86 then being teed into the switched earth on your neutral light. So when the neutral light is activated, and earths the lamp, it also earths the coil of the relay bringing it in.

Terminal 30 and 87 of the relay would then be interrupting the power to or from your reverse motor switch

[Edited on 13/7/10 by Stott]

Like this:

[Edited on 14/7/10 by Stott]

jlparsons

posted on 14/7/10 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'm planning a similar idea, with a reverse select switch which can engage reverse only when the box is in neutral and the brake pedal is pressed. The reverse motor then engages whenever the brake pedal is lifted until either the clutch is engaged, handbrake put on or the reverse switch is pressed again, which will disengage reverse. Hence reverse movement will be entirely foot operated as "normal", with the driver free to steer and twist to look behind without having to free a hand to press a reverse button at the same time.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

nitram38

posted on 14/7/10 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Theres no need to get too complicated with brake pressed linked in etc!
On my R1 I used the neutral warning light as a relay control wire and a 3 position toggle switch off on momentary with a doomsday cover.
The first on position brings on the reversing lights. The momentary controls the starter solenoid so that as soon as I let go the car stops.

[Edited on 14/7/2010 by nitram38]

BenB

posted on 14/7/10 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
You could have the power to the starter solenoid through a relay. Standard 30a automotive type.

The connections would be switched live to terminal 85, terminal 86 then being teed into the switched earth on your neutral light. So when the neutral light is activated, and earths the lamp, it also earths the coil of the relay bringing it in.

Terminal 30 and 87 of the relay would then be interrupting the power to or from your reverse motor switch

[Edited on 13/7/10 by Stott]

Like this:

There's a slight error on that diagram. At present the relay is attached to the earth. You want it attached the other side of the switch. IE between the neutral switch and the neutral light. But otherwise it's all good

40inches

posted on 14/7/10 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlparsons
I'm planning a similar idea, with a reverse select switch which can engage reverse only when the box is in neutral and the brake pedal is pressed. The reverse motor then engages whenever the brake pedal is lifted until either the clutch is engaged, handbrake put on or the reverse switch is pressed again, which will disengage reverse. Hence reverse movement will be entirely foot operated as "normal", with the driver free to steer and twist to look behind without having to free a hand to press a reverse button at the same time.

I am thinking on simular lines using a ZX9R-B clutch switch on the pedal, like the idea of using foot control

Stott

posted on 14/7/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote

There's a slight error on that diagram. At present the relay is attached to the earth. You want it attached the other side of the switch. IE between the neutral switch and the neutral light. But otherwise it's all good

Yeah well spotted, that's 1am, wine and drawing in paint for you!

I've altered it now so the diagram in the 2nd post in this thread is now correct,
Cheers
Stott

david

posted on 14/7/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
reverse gear

Tks. lads, wired it up today and it works great. david
MartinDB

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

On my R1 I used the neutral warning light as a relay control wire and a 3 position toggle switch off on momentary with a doomsday cover.

[Edited on 14/7/2010 by nitram38]

Do you have a part number or supplier for the 3-way toggle? I'm looking for one but not having any luck.
Thanks.

nitram38

posted on 17/7/10 at 04:59 AM Reply With Quote
Its sold as an ignition switch. I know Demon used to sell them.
Longacre are the Manufacturers

MartinDB

posted on 17/7/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Martin, they still do them .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.