Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 test
r1_manx

posted on 26/7/10 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
r1 test

Well I am 2 and a half years in so far on my bike engined mini project, and I finally got the first test drive in at the weekend...it was certainly worth the wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYqI5-dkMlo

There are a few issues, one was the battery drained itself completely after the first short run which is strange when it is pretty much new and kept stocked up with an oxford charger. Secondly, one driveshaft is possibly a little short and I think is fairly close to disengaging from the output shaft but I will investigate further this week. The other thing I noticed, only when playing back the video, is the slight rattle under acceleration, has anyone experienced this? Or do you have any clues as to what it might be? The temperature was pretty steady, up to about 99 degrees after several runs, and the motor seemed to pull really well, but that rattle does concern me a little. It could be chain slipping being it's first run so I may need to add a little more tension. Expected some teething problems, but overall, really chuffed!

Ben

[Edited on 26/7/10 by r1_manx]

If im not in action, im in traction!

blakep82

posted on 26/7/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
awesome well done

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MakeEverything

posted on 26/7/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent!
Could be a cam chain rattle at takeoff? Worth a check.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

interestedparty

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
dont know about the rattle but you need to get a meter across the battery terminals when the engine is stopped, and then when the engine is running, to see if it is charging. Probably be about 14v when the engine is running if not that is where the problem is.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

r1_manx

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Right ok, i'll do a check on the battery and see if it's charging. I've run the engine a few times in the garage, just in neutral for 10-15 mins at a time, and when I switch off it was easy to re-start each time. But after only the first 5 minute drive yesterday, switched off, then tried to start her again, but dead battery. I remember hearing something about cam chain rattle, how do I go about checking for that please?

Stott

posted on 26/7/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Is it right that you can just register it as a manx car and there's no IVA or anything?

If so, lucky sod!

r1_manx

posted on 26/7/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
In a way yes, we don't have what you would call an IVA over here, but we do have an SVA test. I recently registered a UK car here and it has to pass the SVA in order to become manx registered. With my mini build, as I am retaining the original suspension and engine position and drive configuration, (effectively just an engine change) I don't think I need to re-test/re-register the vehicle. If it was a Z car, then it would need to be tested as the engine would be in the back and the suspension would no longer be using the original mounting points.

Minicooper

posted on 26/7/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
If the chain is jumping teeth if that is your problem it should be obvious on the sprockets, I would expect them to be fairly chewed up.

If your saying the driveshaft is to short I think that's possibly where I would look first

Cheers
David

r1_manx

posted on 6/9/10 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys,

Well at the weekend I decided the time had come for the mini to undertake a full on shakedown at the trackday circuit here on the Isle of Man. I'm really pleased to report that putting a bike engine in the front of my mini wasn't such a stupid idea after all, and we had an absolute blast stretching her legs around the track. Apart from a few minor issues, the mini is everything I dreamt it would be about 6 years ago when the idea took hold during a night on the steam at uni. And then 2 and a half years ago we finally started the build and it's one of the best decisions i've ever made..it may have cost me several thousand pounds, too many hours to bear thinking about and 2 girlfriends, but by christ it was worth it! With a few more tweaks and some bodywork jobs to sort, she'll be painted up and ready for action by the end of the year hopefully.

*Obviously I wouldn't want the locost members to miss out some youtube action, so I hope you enjoy this footage. Cheers, Ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV9d3zQsjyg

[Edited on 6/9/10 by r1_manx]

[Edited on 6/9/10 by r1_manx]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.