Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on Buying a car
JonBowden

posted on 26/7/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Advice on Buying a car

If I look at a car and find that it seems fine but the person selling it turns out to be a part time trader. He has the V5 but it is in someone elses name, He says he took it as a trade in last week.

Is this as dodgey as it sounds
Or do I just do an HPI check and if ok then buy it?

Jon

MikeFellows

posted on 26/7/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
i thought most traders did this?

saves them adding a registered keeper and waiting on docs

I dont think its dodgy, I would HPI anyway for the couple of £ it is

[Edited on 26/7/10 by MikeFellows]

GMPMotorsport

posted on 26/7/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Why does it sound dodgy? if he is a part time trader so what, it's always adviseable to do a HPI check on any car.
Is he offering any warranty etc?

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 26/7/10 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
The person selling the car to him should have completed and sent the v5 to Swansea, as they are now still liable for any naughties the car is involved in.

The sale to a trader section should have been used.

Not sure on any other implications.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 26/7/10 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
my issue is that i would be buying a car from an apparantly private individual but the V5 is in someone elses name - that sound dodgey to me - or am I just too supicious

Jon

GMPMotorsport

posted on 26/7/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know the V5 is just the registered keeper not the legal owner of the car, you should still do a check on the car to see if it's not stolen or on HP etc, if you are still conerned contact the last owner if the guy selling it has nothing to hide he will let you do this with out any issue.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

interestedparty

posted on 26/7/10 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
thing is if he is a trader he is selling it for more than he paid for it. You could do the same, find the ame car from a private person and buy that, no point in buying a traders lunch for him, he isn;t going to give you anything except an overpriced car, you wont be getting any warranty. He might say you are getting a warranty, but when the car goes wrong you will be on your own.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

nitram38

posted on 26/7/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my last car from a trader, V5 in old owners name. HPI cleared so I bought it. No worries

gottabedone

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
What car is it?
MakeEverything

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMPMotorsport
As far as I know the V5 is just the registered keeper not the legal owner of the car, you should still do a check on the car to see if it's not stolen or on HP etc, if you are still conerned contact the last owner if the guy selling it has nothing to hide he will let you do this with out any issue.

No, the other way around.

The V5 is the registered OWNER of the vehicle.
I have a company car with no V5. That belongs to the owners of the vehicle, our fleet department.

When a car is traded in, the "sold to trade" section needs to be sent away. they dont need to wait for any paperwork back, as the DVLA wont issue another until you buy the car and the dealer has sent off the new keeper supplement in your name.

The system is only to track when the car is sold on.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

interestedparty

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked my V5C, it says "Registered Keeper"

later on it says the registered keeper is:
not necessarily the owner of the vehicle

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Ninehigh

posted on 26/7/10 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Dvla say the keeper and the owner can be 2 different people, and dealers don't usually register themselves as a keeper so it doesn't put another person on the list of previous owners

sonic

posted on 26/7/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hello i am a motor trader.

The trader should have the v5 not in his name but the yellow part at the top right hand side should have been sent off in the traders name,this tells the DVLA who has control of the car and removes the registered keeper from any issues in the future.

Just a tip for you all do a HPI check and make sure you include a National Milleage register check not all HPI do,i find 4 cars a week that have been clocked and some are advertised by dodgy dealers!!!

Another thing is get a reciept for the car when bought and make sure you include the date and time when you take ownership (very important) I once took ownership of a car that had been flashed on a speed camera 2 hrs before the guy said he had sold it to me and i was the guilty party!! took me alot of time and money to fight that off with the police who believed he had sold it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.