Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interesting key and immobiliser poser
smart51

posted on 27/7/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting key and immobiliser poser

My new build uses a Cinquecento column and Scooter electrics. The scooter immobiliser uses a chip in the key to disarm and a coil that clips to the ignition barrel to pick up the signal. The fiat column has an ignition lock permanently fitted which also has a coil so presumably a chip in the key. The scooter loom also has a start button.

What am I best doing? I want to keep the piaggio immobiliser (tampering is too much trouble) but can do without 2 key switches. I can wire the Fiat ignition switch to the power but I'd still have to put the piaggio key in the slot to immobilise. Can you suggest a neat solution?

big_wasa

posted on 27/7/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
If its an Rdif chip then if your carfull you could swap them. Ive done a few ford keys.
britishtrident

posted on 27/7/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Tape the transponder chip from the removed from the scooter key close to the antenna coil.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

smart51

posted on 27/7/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'd thought about fixing the scooter key's chip to the coil permanently but then it isn't an immobiliser. The Fiat key is over-moulded so the chip can't be removed. I'm not sure if the two would interfere. I guess I could try it.

Is there any way I could "nuke" the fiat key to kill the transponder? I still wouldn't have the Piaggio chip in the Fiat key.

paulf

posted on 27/7/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
How about a few secs in the microwave, would be bound to destroy the chip.
Or could you remove the blade from the Fiat key and fit it to the Piaggio one?
I think the antenna coils work at a standard frequency so using the Fiat one should be ok.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I'd thought about fixing the scooter key's chip to the coil permanently but then it isn't an immobiliser. The Fiat key is over-moulded so the chip can't be removed. I'm not sure if the two would interfere. I guess I could try it.

Is there any way I could "nuke" the fiat key to kill the transponder? I still wouldn't have the Piaggio chip in the Fiat key.

RichieHall

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see that nuking the chip would help, you would still have the immobiliser in the column and without the code from the key you'd be stuck!

Attaching the key fob to the column would permanently disable the ignition lock and shouldn't interfere as they would use different codes.

Is the fiat column an ignition lock or a steering lock?

Rust is lighter than Carbon Fibre!

britishtrident

posted on 28/7/10 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
The second transponder will simply be ignored.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 28/7/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Chop the offending key and use the plastic portion as a keyring only.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 28/7/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
After exhaustive "before" and "after" testing I've found that the fiat key does interfere with the Piaggio key - immobiliser communications. I'll either have to make a Frankenstein key using the blade from the Fiat key plus the chip from the piaggio key or nuke the Fiat immobiliser chip and use the Piaggio key as a key ring as suggested.

paulf

posted on 29/7/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think the keyring idea would work as the chip has to be within the transducer coil and close to it, I experimented a while ago with my rovers imobiliser and found that putting the chip next to the steering lock would not work reliably.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
After exhaustive "before" and "after" testing I've found that the fiat key does interfere with the Piaggio key - immobiliser communications. I'll either have to make a Frankenstein key using the blade from the Fiat key plus the chip from the piaggio key or nuke the Fiat immobiliser chip and use the Piaggio key as a key ring as suggested.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.