Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which os?
skydivepaul

posted on 2/8/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
which os?

ok finally pi55ed off with windows so going to try a linux os.
went to the linux website yesterday and didnt realise there are many different os systems available to download.

i went for the zorin os as it has a windows "look" to it, thought it would help me. I have loaded it onto the lappy and seems to run o.k. boots very fast and no problems with the tinternet.
However i have had the mouse freeze up a few times on it and had to pull the plug to reboot. just wondering which is the best / reliable linux os to use or have i picked the right one?

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

stevebubs

posted on 2/8/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
ubuntu appears to be flavour of the month....
andy350z

posted on 2/8/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Ubuntu
McLannahan

posted on 2/8/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I also use Ubuntu. Use Fedora too but it's not quite as slick as Ubuntu but I prefer the look and speed.
Davey D

posted on 2/8/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
As above, Ubuntu is very popular at the moment. I have it installed on one of my laptops, and get each release on CD from Canonical to try it out. It is quite good for the newbie/average User as it "Just Works" where as some other releases need some tweaking, and configuring which is a bit more involved than with MS windows that tends to wipe the users ass
Dangle_kt

posted on 2/8/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU7yMnGi91M
britishtrident

posted on 2/8/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Zorin is a bit of an unkown Normally I would recommend Mint but I have been testing Peppermint my Netbook and it runs wonderfully on limmited hardware Peppermint is a small quick download, Open Office software and Thunderbird can be installed awith a couple of clicks after installation.

I wouldn't advise Ubuntu as it casts its web a bit too wide for a newbie. A linux newbie is better with a release pre tailored to a desktop or laptop/netbook.

Although any of the distros that use the KDE desktop are tempting because KDE is similar in feel too windows its also a weakness as although KDE can be tweaked by the user much more than Gnome it is not as robust as the Gnome interface, it is very hard to break Gnome.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Dangle_kt

posted on 2/8/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
thanks britishtrident, i hadnt heard of pepermint and my mrs has a netbook that isn;t crushingly fast!

Might have a bit of duel boot fun!

David Jenkins

posted on 2/8/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I currently use Mint, but I'm leaning towards Ubuntu for the next 'upgrade' (when I can be bothered to do it).

Ubuntu just works. It's as simple as that. The main downside is that they give you too much - you'll get 2 or 3 MP3 players, 3 or 4 editors, and so on. Finding which one works for you can be a challenge.

I prefer the default Gnome desktop to KDE - it is a little different to Windows, but not excessively so. KDE isn't as well finished as Gnome, although it's still very good.

The upside to Linux is the software that's available - Open Office (same as MS Office, with extra bells and whistles), GIMP (like Photoshop), GnuCash (like MS Money, but better). All free.

Another big thing is stability - every program will crash now and again, but unlike Windows a crash will only result in the loss of your session and the main OS will carry on - Alt-Backspace reboots the windows system and you just continue.

I use Windows 7 at work, and I must admit that I'm quite impressed... but I will continue to use Linux due to all the other advantages (mostly cost).

I suggest that you load Ubuntu as a dual-boot system on your PC (if you have enough disk space). You can continue to use what you've got, and try out Ubuntu when you have time. If you don't like it it's easily removed.

RazMan

posted on 2/8/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I was tempted by Ubuntu a while back but went for Windows 7 instead - which is by far the best and fastest os I have used. I have it on both my netbook and 8 core workstation running all my mapping software, graphic design, office stuff etc.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skydivepaul

posted on 2/8/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys. downloading ubuntu as we speak. will load it alongside my current os until i get used to it

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

Irony

posted on 2/8/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a Apple. They work, they don't break, they have second hand value. They look good. The end.

I bought my laptop 6 years ago. I am typing on it now. Its got a 17inch screen that has zero dropped pixels and is viewable from any angle. Its made from Titainium and its 1 inch thick. And should I wish to I could get £400 for it secondhand. Job done.

balidey

posted on 2/8/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using Ubuntu for about a couple of years now. Mainly as its free, but its very forgiving on older hardware (which I tend to run).

The real test in our house though, is SWMBO. She is a real techno-phobe but it only took a couple of days before she got into the swing of using it. Thats how simple it is really.

And as Ubuntu is probably the most popular distro then its usually got better support. I can't think of anything I have struggled to do on it.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

jlparsons

posted on 2/8/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I vote ubuntu. There are lots of distributions out there with lots to say for them, but for a new linux user you need ease of use and plentiful support. Without that, you'll be pizzed off and back to bill in no time. With ubuntu, 99% of problems can be solved with a google search of existing forum.

I like Mint, but to my mind it offers nothing ubuntu can't with a few minutes spent updating repositories. Given that there are mint-specific issues and there is less support about for mint, again I'd stick with ubuntu.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Tim 45

posted on 2/8/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Second vote for Mac.

Just got a Mac mini, 6month old for £300, upgraded for £120..now rocking on the fastest, easiest to use computer I've ever owned.

Typically apple. It has awkward compatability, but when you submit and transfer over...life is so. much. easier.

RIE

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I use OpenSuse, very simple to install and had no hassles.

Ubuntu and others (including Suse, I think) can be run from a live CD/DVD, so you can try them out without having to do a full OS install. Try a couple, make your mind up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.