Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: AGM WLR V12 - Arrival
interestedparty

posted on 14/8/10 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Always worth remembering that unlike power, torque is multiplied by gearboxes and CWPs.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

StuartBJ

posted on 17/8/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Weekend 1 - Diff, Gearbox, driveshafts etc

Well most of my first weekend involved some lengthy chats to passers by asking "What the **** is that ?"....but that asside I was fairly happy with progress this week. I installed the diff and driveshafts, the diff required some light trimming to fit perfectly but nothing a well aimed hacksaw couldn`t cope with. I also offered up the gearbox, steering wheel and enjoyed my "right of passage" from the soon to be cockpit.... "brum brum". The cone filters may cause some future concerns but I`m sure these can be accomodated via some means. The alternator will require relocating to allow the steering column to be positioned correctly but this sin`t an unexpected problem.

I`m just waiting on the bolt pack from AGM and the car will be in rolling chassis form (fingers crossed that will be this weekend).

You will see from the pictures that my propshaft will be alittle on the small side. Ha Ha......its not the size that counts

And yes.....i gave it a bit of a wipe too

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

MakeEverything

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent. Keep the momentum, otherwise it stalls.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

StuartBJ

posted on 17/8/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Richard...... I can but try.

kb58

posted on 17/8/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have you sat in the car to see if the shifter location works for you? In my cars, the shifter ends up being nearly in line with the steering wheel for best fit. In the picture above it looks like the shifter's about two feet behind it. Just sayin...

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StuartBJ

posted on 17/8/10 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I have and it "isn`t bad" but could be better with a gear stick mod...... to be brutally honest. Not a show stopper though.
StuartBJ

posted on 23/8/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Build Progress Weekend #2

Hi Guys,

Well weekend #2 - The plan for this weekend was quite a relaxed one, get her on all four wheels.

Well, It was easy enough to attach all wishbones to their respective pickups but my coilover bolts were still in the post, but I did have enough odds to build one corner.....as you will see.

Then my next issue, my mushrooms didn`t fit well (becuase I`ve used Granada hubs). So... I have asked Talon Motorsport to turn me a couple of new ones to suit...which means a trip to the garage on Tuesday night to measure the Hubs up.

So hopefully this time next week I will have moved past the suspension on to another of my many jobs.

Description
Description

Description
Description

I think that combination of engine, discs and alloys will always make me smile.

scootz

posted on 23/8/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

kb58

posted on 23/8/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of brake caliper clearance? Those rotors are huge.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StuartBJ

posted on 23/8/10 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, all fits nicely
l0rd

posted on 24/8/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Impressive

But

How on earth are you going to fit the steering column?

Unless you are planning on a rudder

StuartBJ

posted on 24/8/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Good question......

The alternator is going to be relocated to the opposite side

chrsgrain

posted on 26/8/10 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
You are insane......

but I LOVE it!!!

Keep up the good work!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

StuartBJ

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
AGM V12 - Suspension, Brakes & lots of holidays

Well after two holidays (USA and France)..... I thought an update is well overdue......on a side note France may be one of the style capitals of the world but thats no excuse to spray a Rolls Royce Phantom in matt black.....

Anyway......the suspension is completely done, although I will have to re visit the IRS and change out the threaded bar in favour of some very large bolts (see other posts).

The rear brakes are on and ready for lines (in progress), I`ve opted for the vented cosowrth rear discs, pads and calipers (new) ...... ohh note to be mentioned here, I have three pairs of granada hubs and yet two pairs didn`t fit and had me scratching my head for hours.... the hub carriers from the cosworth granada and standard granada are about 10-15mm different in mounting points due to the brake disc width difference, so I`m now left with 2 sets of standard granada hubs..... (any takers???).

The engine is fully in..... and mounting it was .....hmmmm well ...... easier than I would have thought..... as far as aligning and lifting a few hundred kilos gets..... but it had been a job that I wasn`t looking forward to so a lot of satifaction now it is complete.

ohhh and I have fitted the steering rack with some solid style alloy mounts from eBay and the top part of the steering column are now in place.

The Front 8 pot caliper brackets are now slightly overdue .... but hey they are being machined up by a mate for the price of some beer so I can`t really complain.

The oil cooler, handbrake cable has been offered up ready for fitting this week.

Friday should see a delivery from Alan at AGM with the fuel tank and nose cone/radiator bracketry.

I've just ordered the tyres and wheel spacers for the car, when these and the fuel tank etc are on (and I have had a good garage tidy upsession)....I will post some more pics.

Still lots to do..... but looking forward to seeing the radiator installed and rolling rubber.

[Edited on 13/10/10 by StuartBJ]

coyoteboy

posted on 13/10/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be fascinated to see how well this handles. I love the insanity of it, but I feel like it's risking being a boat anchor with no rear traction due to the frontal weight? Quite excited to see!
StuartBJ

posted on 14/10/10 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
I know what you are getting at.... its not a bike engined car and thats for sure (well mine isnt and I`m sure Alan from AGM will thank me for pointing out that it can be easily fitted with one) but my WLR is an ali lump and should weigh similar to a cast iron V8, so left to its own devises it should handle similar to something like an Ultima, but really its all down to the setup.

I will fine tune as much as possible, camber, toe, aero and pressure all round until I`m happy..... but you can`t go far wrong with DBL wishbones all round.

Where the WLR should shine is the swing axel lengths as they are near parallel, similar to single seaters, so im guessing im in for a sharp (turn in) but spine shattering ride...... but when I spent an hour or so in one on the motorway it seemed fine....so perhaps its a case of suck it and see with respect to the damper settings.

When all is said and done its a car for a LeMans style track (Long) and power comes in handy on the straights, in comparison it will be intresting to see how it handles on the B roads and short twisty circuits.

[Edited on 14/10/10 by StuartBJ]

JacksAvon

posted on 19/7/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
whatever happened to this car?
40inches

posted on 20/7/13 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JacksAvon
whatever happened to this car?

Looks like it was finished http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=167404

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.