Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine fitting problems
JeffJeffers

posted on 9/8/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Engine fitting problems

I have got to admit my build has been going a little slow but at the weekend I decided I would try fitting my engine.

After a few hours of head scratching I decided it wasn't going to fit.
The bellhousing is to wide to go any futher down the tunnel.

Gearbox and engine needs to go alot futher back

Spoke to MK about it today and after they called me back I was told I have to cut the bellhousing to make it fit.
I must admit I'm a little disapointed I paid alot of money for a chassis to fit a Zetec engine and now I have to modify the engine to fit the chassis. At no point did anyone tell me I would have to cut the bellhousing.

Has anyone fitted a Zetec to a Indy R yet with pictures of the mod to the bellhousing?

theconrodkid

posted on 9/8/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
thats as far as the engine goes back infact it should come forward till you can get the gear lever in,no need to cut the bellhousing.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MakeEverything

posted on 9/8/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cant you get a remote for the gearbox and some additional / replacement mounts rather than weaken the bellhousing?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

austin man

posted on 9/8/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
surely MK have some pictures they have built and supplied several but they where black tops. This makes no difference to the location of gear boc as they are thesame. I think the indy R was more designes around bike engines

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Neil2004
Contributor

Posts 44
Registered 21/1/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Purchased Sylva Star, updating with Zetec engine,

posted on 9/8/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
You could use a remote gearleaver like the one shown on this Westfield website. It moves the gearleaver back 9 inches which should position the gearleaver away from the scuttle and dashboard.
http://www.toyne.org.uk/kc-mods-gearbox.html

JeffJeffers

posted on 9/8/10 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
thats as far as the engine goes back infact it should come forward till you can get the gear lever in,no need to cut the bellhousing.

Apartently the gear lever should come the other side of the brace.

I will have a look at the remote gearlever. I will also see if MK have any pictures of the modifid housing.

Macbeast

posted on 10/8/10 at 04:58 AM Reply With Quote
But it looks as if the engine mounts will not line up with the mounting platforms on the chassis if the engine is any further forward.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

franky

posted on 10/8/10 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
If you told them that you were fitting a zetec and what gearbox and they sold you an engine to suit surely they should collect the chassis and modify it to suit what it was ordered for?
JeffJeffers

posted on 11/8/10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I cut the bellhousing today and have refitted the engine.
The gearbox fits a lot better in the tunnel but the engine doesnt seem to be square. Does it matter if the engine isn't square?

The gear lever is still in the wrong place. The gearbox is as far back as it goes because the length of the propshaft.

procomp

posted on 12/8/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

It is quite common practice to cut bellhousings to move engines back. However it is normally done using alloy housings which can be easily re welded and strengthened. Just cutting a cast iron housing is no good is wont have the strength left and dose not take to being r welded at allwell.
Also what you have there is a BEC chassis fitting a car engine in it is not going to be too good an idea as your fighting the small problems all the way and it will need extra chassis mods.

Simply get them to supply the correct chassis or Carry out the modification required. Again another case of take the money and let the customer sort the problems out.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 12/8/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Matt there, I would have advised cutting the chassis to accommodate the bellhousing.

My mate, two in fact, have Indy's with zetecs in them and the I'm sure one of them will be along soon to advise.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JeffJeffers

posted on 12/8/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
It is quite common practice to cut bellhousings to move engines back. However it is normally done using alloy housings which can be easily re welded and strengthened. Just cutting a cast iron housing is no good is wont have the strength left and dose not take to being r welded at allwell.
Also what you have there is a BEC chassis fitting a car engine in it is not going to be too good an idea as your fighting the small problems all the way and it will need extra chassis mods.

Simply get them to supply the correct chassis or Carry out the modification required. Again another case of take the money and let the customer sort the problems out.

I wasn't keen on cutting the bell housing but I decided I would be able to mig braze it. If I can get it all to fit I may think about getting a alloy bell housing anyway.

I realize this chassis is used more for BEC but when I ordered it I told them what engine was being fitted. They have also said that they have fitted Zetec engines in this chassis before.

JeffJeffers

posted on 12/8/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone have or know someone with a MK Indy R with a Zetec engine?
procomp

posted on 12/8/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Not a Zetec but there's the guy who races one in the 750 Kit car championship with a Toyota 4age setup. Not sure as to how much mods it has had done though.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.