Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow to Sierra Diff Prop Shaft
nnrouty

posted on 12/8/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow to Sierra Diff Prop Shaft

Hi

Can anyone tell me where i can find a propshaft that will connect my 4 speed crossflow box to my sierra rear diff

mcerd1

posted on 12/8/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
what length do you need ?

-

nnrouty

posted on 12/8/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Any size as long as the gear stick lands in a suitable position. I'm planning to fit my sierra diff, connect the prop to it and use the length of the prop shaft to determine the location of the gearbox and engine?
Marcus

posted on 12/8/10 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Not a particularly good idea M8. The Sierra prop is way too long. The gearlever will be in the engine compartment!! (if it's a book ish chassis). Better to mount engine and box where you want and get a prop made up. You may still need a gearlever extension made up to get it in the right place.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DavidM

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
If youare intending to do any long drives in the car, fitting a Type 9 five speed would be worth consideration.

David

Proportion is Everything

nnrouty

posted on 12/8/10 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
i had thought about a type 9. Was hoping that mabe some body would make a prop shaft that would br suitable that i could buy off the shelf.

I am using a 1300 crossflow, if i was to use a type 9 would i get a reasonable amout of power from this setup?

blakep82

posted on 13/8/10 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
i've got 2. one is 10cm long, the other 3m long. any good? lol

nah, really don't build your car around the length of prop shaft you can find. most standard ford props will be far too long!

you will find someone on here, at some point, who happens to be selling one a decent length for your set up, but i'd recommend building your car, and placing the engine, and diff, and getting a type 9 for road use (it won't give you more power, but a more barable engine speed on motorway cruising) and approaching one of the prop manufacturers like Dunning and Fairbank, or Bailey Morris (i can't remember which i used unfortunately, but they were were good! i think it was D&F... i had it made to my specificacton within a week from order to delivery i think. was about £120 inc vat and delivery with brand new UJ bearings, and yokes? even specified the tube diameter i wanted.

do it that way!

here's mine

mines a bit long than you'd need, but my car is slightly different

[Edited on 13/8/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nnrouty

posted on 13/8/10 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tip.

Soo, next question. Once i have placed the engine/box and the diff. Where do i measure from to find what length prop i need?

mcerd1

posted on 13/8/10 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I think alot of cars use 900mm long shafts, but my dax one is about half that

-

James

posted on 13/8/10 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nnrouty
Thanks for the tip.

Soo, next question. Once i have placed the engine/box and the diff. Where do i measure from to find what length prop i need?

Your prop manufacturer will tell you where to measure from.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

blakep82

posted on 13/8/10 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Thanks for the tip.

Your prop manufacturer will tell you where to measure from.

yep, i sent this off to a few of them
http://www.baileymorris.co.uk/pdf/kit_car_single_piece_shaft.pdf
you're best to measure from the diff flange to the the oils seal in the back of the gear box. they work out how much of the yoke goes in the box

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Nash

posted on 13/8/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i had thought about a type 9. Was hoping that mabe some body would make a prop shaft that would br suitable that i could buy off the shelf.

I am using a 1300 crossflow, if i was to use a type 9 would i get a reasonable amout of power from this setup?

This is exactly my current setup. I have a 1300GT x-flow with a trick cam, oversize bores etc. about 90BHP I'm told? I run a 5 speed type 9 box and its a good marriage. 5th is ideal for the motorway but do expect to have to work the box to get the best out of the car. Its half the fun after all.

............Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

ritchunt

posted on 15/8/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
ive got one in the garage which i removed from my car when i fitted my redtop, the car was running a 1300 gt with 4 sd box if its any good to you?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.