Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oxygen.
bigandy

posted on 21/8/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Oxygen.

Morning all.

Does anyone know a good source of those little Oxygen tanks that you used to be able to buy in places like B&Q. They were the ones that were to be used with a propane tank of a similar size, in conjunction with a brazing torch. I think they had cylinders of Mapp gass too?

I'm after one for use in another project

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

NigeEss

posted on 21/8/10 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
There's a few on ebay, search for oxygen cylinder or bottle.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

britishtrident

posted on 21/8/10 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I known it is no longer available, I tried to get a cylinder from Halfords a few years back but the cylinders all had the wrong handed thread for the oxygen adaptor.

For awhile a web shop called "The House of Hasting" were selling replacement kits of a new adaptor/regulator and a disposable bottle but they don't seem to be around anymore.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/8/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have one of those mini brazing kits from Halfords, and as you say, you cannot get the oxygen anymore even though they still sell the acetylene

I did manage to get an adaptor to take another oxygen bottle which I sourced elsewhere though and it works fine.

I'll try and find the details as it's a while since I bought it.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Peteff

posted on 21/8/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Welduk does a small oxygen cylinder here for £20.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 24/8/10 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one Pete

That's the one I was looking for, been so long since I ordered mine.

I got the adaptor too as the bottle will not fit directly onto the Bernzomatic head.

Works a treat

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Peteff

posted on 24/8/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I like to give him a mention, he's only 10 miles from me and I've nipped up for bits in the past but not been for ages.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bigandy

posted on 24/8/10 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, brilliant, thanks for that link Pete.

The regulator they sell will suit me too, as it has a hose tail aoutput. In case you were wondering, all this is for igniting a small Hybrid rocket engine (40N.s total impulse).

Cheers
Andy

paulf

posted on 26/8/10 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
If its a hybrid then you must be using nitrous oxide for the oxidizer and if I remember correctly the gas contained in the small oxygen bottles is nitrous oxide rather than pure oxygen .
Isn't the normal method of lighting these to use a small solid fuel Estes type rocket motor pushed into the tail pipe?
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
Ah, brilliant, thanks for that link Pete.

The regulator they sell will suit me too, as it has a hose tail aoutput. In case you were wondering, all this is for igniting a small Hybrid rocket engine (40N.s total impulse).

Cheers
Andy

bigandy

posted on 26/8/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
That;s right, the Oxidiser for the main engine is Nitrous Oxide (and the fuel grain is currently a blend of wax/hotglue and iron filings to give it a bit of sparkle, because I am a bit of atart like that ). Igniting the motors with chunks of Estes black powder motors is bloomin expensive though, three Estes motors are not far off a tenner now.

So, I want to use gaseous oxygen to create an oxygen rich environment in the motor combusiton chamber, then use a high voltage spark to ignite the fuel grain. Start the nitrous going, and away the motor goes My calculations show that a disposable oxygen cylinder (400ml size) will contain about 120 litres of oxygen, so I reckon that will give me at least 100 ignitions, far cheaper than Estes motors

The idea is that once the little motor is proven, I can scale it up a little too

Andy

paulf

posted on 27/8/10 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes thats how i understood it to be working, what I was trying to say was I think the Oxygen in the disposable bottles is actually nitrous oxide or at least it was in some of the smaller kits you could once buy.If that is the case then maybe you could just bleed of some nitrous at low pressure and use that although it may not work if theres no heat to decompose it .
It sounds like an interesting project and is something ive meant to experiment with myself but never got around to.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
That;s right, the Oxidiser for the main engine is Nitrous Oxide (and the fuel grain is currently a blend of wax/hotglue and iron filings to give it a bit of sparkle, because I am a bit of atart like that ). Igniting the motors with chunks of Estes black powder motors is bloomin expensive though, three Estes motors are not far off a tenner now.

So, I want to use gaseous oxygen to create an oxygen rich environment in the motor combusiton chamber, then use a high voltage spark to ignite the fuel grain. Start the nitrous going, and away the motor goes My calculations show that a disposable oxygen cylinder (400ml size) will contain about 120 litres of oxygen, so I reckon that will give me at least 100 ignitions, far cheaper than Estes motors

The idea is that once the little motor is proven, I can scale it up a little too

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.