Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clay pigeon shooting
jos

posted on 27/8/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Clay pigeon shooting

Anybody do it???

Any tips on guns/equipment for a beginner.

I'm thinking of taking it up and am planning to get a cabinet installed followed by my license followd by the gun but dont know what sort of price i should be looking to pay for the gun/equipment and any names to look out for

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

steve m

posted on 27/8/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just an observation.
But you actually want Guns at home ??

Yes i have an air rifle, but would not even think of have anything more powerfull

Steve

gregf27

posted on 27/8/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jos,
Yep been shooting for years.
Better off going for a couple of lessons at West Mids shooting ground, would recommend a s/h 12g over /under either Beretta/ Browning or Miroku 28 - 30 "barrels multichoke. Have a go at Sporting / skeet and trap and see what you like best - depends then on what type of stock you will go for on your gun.
Personally I like sporting and trap , give me a shout if you want to pop over.

Greg

ashg

posted on 27/8/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
The best tip I can give is don't spend too much on your first gun. Browning's are usually pretty reliable/accurate for the money. go for 12g as they usually keep a better choice of ammo. Don't get lured into spending loads of money on a fancy stock and engraving its pointless unless you have money to burn.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

jos

posted on 27/8/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
it takes a person to pull the trigger and as its a gun it'll be treated like the weapon it actually is and not a toy.

Ive had a lesson at a local range but cant remember which one it was it may well have been WMSG.

It'll definately be 12g but I'm trying to work out all the terminology like skeet/trap etc so i'll definately take you up on your offer greg.

do i need ear defenders/goggles etc

ashg

posted on 27/8/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
you will be better off with plugs as defenders get in the way. well they bother the hell out of me. no need for goggles although you can get some pretty good glasses with different colour lenses for different light conditions dont get a cartridge belt they are a pain in the ass just get a good leather pouch. some places insist on a high vis jacket so make sure you have one.

the only other thing i can say is get yourself down to a club get yourself known and you will soon learn everything you need to know.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

jos

posted on 27/8/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
thanks ash. Ive got a set of wiley's with interchangable lens for the aeroscreen and theyre US special forces CQC anyway so should be suitable. Ive got a high vis vest for work & ear plugs for driving without a helmet too. Looks like I'm pretty much set

I'll drop into WMSG soon to show a face and pick some more brains. Thanks for the help

RAYLEE29

posted on 27/8/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Id definately say join a club and have a few lessons to see how you get on it can get very expensive very quickly and unnecessarily
also you dont need to keep guns at home
Ray

jos

posted on 28/8/10 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Fair point Raylee and thanks for the reminder.

My local club is very local so all i really need to sort out is license and buying it as i'll only be using it at the club.

any idea how much it costs to store a gun at a club for a year???

fesycresy

posted on 28/8/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
A word of warning, it gets addictive!

I used to shoot sporting and could knock out a 100 shells in practice in no time, the costs were spiralling chasing consistent high scores.

I would always recommend lessons (CPSA) and find others to shoot with, it extends the days shooting.

Stay away from automated skeet layouts, it's the quickest way through 200 shells!

One last thing, when you get a gun, buy a good one (browning for me) and get it fitted, never underestimate how important this is.

Give me a shout if you want anymore info.

I would

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

fesycresy

posted on 28/8/10 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know where the 'I would' bit at the bottom came from and can't edit it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Marcus

posted on 28/8/10 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I like this kind of shooting, about a minute in
Linky doo

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jos

posted on 28/8/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
The duck hunting & high 5 look like my sort of thang!!!

marcyboy

posted on 28/8/10 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
Anybody do it???

Any tips on guns/equipment for a beginner.

I'm thinking of taking it up and am planning to get a cabinet installed followed by my license followd by the gun but dont know what sort of price i should be looking to pay for the gun/equipment and any names to look out for

My advice would be buy a 12g Baikal o/u, they're cheap to buy new & even cheaper secondhand, alot of people will say they're scaffold poles... but so are all smoothbores practically...you might like it & want to buy a more expensive brand later on! Just bare in mind that most of it is the shooter not the shotgun!
I shoot clays with a fella who spent £1300 on a semi auto Beretta & he doesn't like getting beaten with a Baikal that I paid £75 for

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.