Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Q?? Starter Ring Teeth
Dick Axtell

posted on 30/8/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Q?? Starter Ring Teeth

Hi All, especially those who have been thru this prob.

My nice new starter doesn't seem to be engaging the flywheel starter ring. Having checked with the starter off, I'm now worried that the shape of the starter ring teeth may be wrong.

So - Question: - For pre-engaged type starter motors, should the starter ring teeth be straight, i.e. without any lead-in?

This is how I recall previous advice, but would welcome some confirmation.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

rusty nuts

posted on 30/8/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
If it's for a x flow there are at least 2 if not 3 different ring gears IIRC the inertia type had 110 teeth and the pre engaged had 135?
Dick Axtell

posted on 30/8/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
ARRRRGH!!!! Memory failure!! forgot to specify engine info.

Yes, it is a Xflow (1600), coupled to a 4-speed Capri g/box. But my Q re tooth profile remains. Is there supposed to be any lead-in on this tooth profile, to allow the starter pinion to engage?

Re inertia type starter - the pinion clearly has coarser teeth than the pre-engaged type. so that accounts for the different rings.

[Edited on 30/8/10 by Dick Axtell]

Chippy

posted on 30/8/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have never seen a starter that didn't have lead in on the teeth, (but I haven't seen every make of starter motor), it's done so that the teeth don't just jam end to end. IMHO Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Dick Axtell

posted on 31/8/10 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
I have never seen a starter that didn't have lead in on the teeth, (but I haven't seen every make of starter motor), it's done so that the teeth don't just jam end to end. IMHO Ray

Agreed. But my query referred to the starter ring teeth on the flywheel.
If I've got it wrong, it'll mean an engine out job, plus more work involving much heat + new starter ring etc.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/8/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
Question: - For pre-engaged type starter motors, should the starter ring teeth be straight, i.e. without any lead-in?

Correct - the flywheel ring teeth for the old x-flow inertia starter had a very pronounced chamfer to help the pinion engage.

There is no obvious chamfer on the flywheel ring teeth for pre-engaged starters - IIRC the chamfer is on the starter's pinion.

Dick - is the pinion actually reaching the starter ring? For example, is the starter solenoid actually throwing the pinion forward enough? Does the starter actually match the engine/gearbox combination, i.e. will the pinion ever reach the starter ring, or even over-shoot it?

The older I get, the better I was...

Dick Axtell

posted on 31/8/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Dick - is the pinion actually reaching the starter ring? For example, is the starter solenoid actually throwing the pinion forward enough? Does the starter actually match the engine/gearbox combination, i.e. will the pinion ever reach the starter ring, or even over-shoot it?

What Ho, David. Thanks for your input.
Yes, this is a crucial point. Measuring the distance from sandwich plate to engine side of starter ring - 30.5mm.
Distance from starter mounting flange face to static end of starter pinion - 27mm.

Unfortunately, I have no info on the correct/recommended clearance between pinion end and flywheel gear ring. Can you advise? May be you know someone who does?

Engine - Xflow; g/box - Capri 4-speed (fitted with pre-engaged starter, which appaeared to be dead!)

[Edited on 31/8/10 by Dick Axtell]

Chippy

posted on 31/8/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ah! sorry Dick, got the wrong end of the stick there. Looking at your measurements the starter would only need to throw 3.5 mm to meet the ring gear, (1/8" in old money), and from memory P/E starters throw a great deal more than that, so you "should" get engagment. HTH (this time) Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.