Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Got my hands on a new engine. 750ps!
AndyW

posted on 1/9/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Got my hands on a new engine. 750ps!

Unfortunatley I could not do anything with it once I got to touch it!! One is the engine that won Lewis the title and the other is the one that Jenson used. Also not pictured was the first "KERS" engine and a complete shell of the vodafone car...... A hugely impressive set up and a very nice bunch of guys at Mercedes High Performance Engines in Northampton.

The head of FM even said to me, "Give me a bit of extra discount and I will sort you out a full factory tour!" So I am going to give loads of discount for VIP tickets to next years british grand prix....

Dangle_kt

posted on 1/9/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
wow, thats amazing!

before any of you bec haters start...

"I see it lasts longer than most BEC's"

ha

ha

ha.

GeoffT

posted on 1/9/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm.....750 whatsits in just 95 kilos - sounds like an ideal motor for a seven to me...
Liam

posted on 1/9/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh... so beautiful. Look how small that cute little clutch is. I love it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 1/9/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
A thing of beauty

skodaman

posted on 1/9/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Will my english axle cope with that sort of power and do u think it will pass IVA on emissions?

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 1/9/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
whats 750ps?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Howlor

posted on 1/9/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Did you manage to slip any goodies into your pockets?!
mcerd1

posted on 1/9/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
whats 750ps?

= 750 Pferdestärke

-

AndyW

posted on 1/9/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to let you all down, but could not get my hands on too many goodies, although at only 90kgs that bad boy almost ended up in my pocket.
AndyW

posted on 1/9/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to let you all down, but could not get my hands on too many goodies, although at only 90kgs that bad boy almost ended up in my pocket.
AndyW

posted on 1/9/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
NigeEss

posted on 1/9/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm..shiny....

Mmmm....discount tickets......

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

matt_gsxr

posted on 1/9/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
looks a bit too tall to fit up-front. I guess you'd need to go with the perspex bonnet bulge to show it off a bit! emissions might be a bit tricky too.
AndyW

posted on 2/9/10 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
emissions easy to sort, I think it might just work I they let me at least take one and try. I think I would stick an electric motor in the car and say its electric powered, then once its passed, fire up the bad boy.......
David Jenkins

posted on 2/9/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Might have a problem with the IVA noise test...
...even if they measure it at 100 metres, instead of 1!

Cheffy

posted on 2/9/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
whats 750ps?

From Wikipedia:-

Metric horsepower
Metric horsepower began in Germany in the 19th century and became popular across Europe and Asia. The various units used to indicate this definition (PS, CV, hk, pk, and ch) all translate to horse power in English, so it is common to see these values referred to as horsepower or hp in the press releases or media coverage of the German, French, Italian, and Japanese automobile companies. British manufacturers often intermix metric horsepower and mechanical horsepower depending on the origin of the engine in question. Sometimes the metric horsepower rating of an engine is conservative enough so that the same figure can be used for both 80/1269/EEC with metric hp and SAE J1349 with imperial hp.
Metric horsepower, as a rule, is defined as 0.73549875 kW, or roughly 98.6% of mechanical horsepower. This was a minor issue in the days when measurement systems varied widely and engines produced less power, but has become a major sticking point today. Exotic cars from Europe like the McLaren F1 and Bugatti Veyron are often quoted using the wrong definition, and their power output is sometimes even converted twice because of confusion over whether the original horsepower number was metric or mechanical.[citation needed]
[edit] PS
This unit (German: Pferdestärke = horse strength) is no longer a statutory unit, but is still commonly used in Europe, South America and Japan, especially by the automotive and motorcycle industry. It was adopted throughout continental Europe with designations equivalent to the English horsepower, but mathematically different from the British unit. It is defined by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB)[8] in Braunschweig as exactly:
1 PS = 75 kilopond-meters per second
(75 kp•m/s)×(9.80665 N/kp) = 735.49875 N•m/s ≈ 735.5 N•m/s ≈ 735.5 W ≈ 0.7355 kW ≈ 0.98632 hp (SAE)
The PS was adopted by the Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN) and then by the automotive industry throughout most of Europe, under varying names. In 1992, the PS was rendered obsolete by EEC directives, when it was replaced by the kilowatt as the official power measuring unit. It is still in use for commercial and advertising purposes, in addition to the kW rating, as many customers are not familiar with the use of kilowatts for engines.

750PS = around 740HP according to the online converter I found.

HTH,

MArt.

[Edited on 2/9/10 by Cheffy]

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

mcerd1

posted on 2/9/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheffy
750PS = around 740HP according to the online converter I found.

or 750PS = 551.6KW

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.