Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do I need to use the clutch??????????
marcjagman

posted on 2/9/10 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Do I need to use the clutch??????????

As I am not really a bike person I was wondering if you need to use the clutch when changing gear on a BEC. The main reason is I have very wide feet and don't want to be catching the wrong pedals all the time. If I only need a clutch to set of/stop then I can rig a hand operated one on the gear lever. Does any one have any theories/help on this?
BenB

posted on 2/9/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on the bike in question and how long you want it to last
jack_t

posted on 2/9/10 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
you can clutch less upshift all bikes but its not recommended to do clutch less downshifts

for upshifts
accelerate so you the car is pulling put gental pressure on the the gear change not to hard not to little you will get the knack you want it so its against the gate so if u were to pull a little bit more it would change gear then lift off the accelerator and it should just slip into the next gear
i wouldn't recommend drying to do it on from 1st to 2nd through neutral until your really confident with doing

GBaggott

posted on 2/9/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
No clutch on high rev up change, I always clutch on down shift (matching revs is a bit trickier). Trickshift.

Our formula student car had a hand operated clutch that automatically de-clutch as you went to down shift. I wasn't involved just heard about it pretty neat mechanism.

r1_pete

posted on 2/9/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Its ok for upshifts, very rare I use the clutch on my R1 going up the box, downchanging is more difficult needing to match the revs to the gearbox speed.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mikeb

posted on 2/9/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of Formula Student cars running bike engines use a hand operated clutch. The gear lever turns into a v shape with two lever's interconnectedm the idea being as you grab one to change gear it disengages the clutch first. Sure there will be pictures somewhere.

Mike

marcjagman

posted on 2/9/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Would like to see how that worked, similar to what I am after doing, in fact, sounds exactly like what I am after.
bonesetter

posted on 2/9/10 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
You've also got to avoid 'pulling a neutral' - however thats happening??
greggors84

posted on 2/9/10 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
The 'auto' clutches i've seen on setups like this work by having a cable or pushrod and m/c depending on clutch set up mounted on the gear lever.

As the gear lever is pushed forward from neutral to get first it engages the clutch as you bring the lever back it releases the clutch, as you pull back to up shift there is no clutch but when you push forward to change down it engages the clutch as the gear is selected.

You either need a long lever to give some feel for pulling away or a clutch pedal which you can use for pulling away, but sort of defeats the object. Although it you still have the near seamless change with the lever.

RAYLEE29

posted on 2/9/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, clutchless changes are fine if your happy to be fitting new gearboxes every now and then.
you can change up on full throttle with no clutch on a bike if you flick the kill switch and it will save time on accelerating but eventually something will break.
personally I WOULD USE THE CLUTCH ON EVERY UP AND DOWN CHANGE especially as the car weighs more than a bike and most people fit uprated clutches because of the added stresses on the transmission.
Ray

paublo999

posted on 2/9/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Never had any problems with a properly setup trickshifter setup.

All the guys have been doing sprints and trackdays without issues and we have been known to give it some.

Paul.

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

coyoteboy

posted on 2/9/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Is it not just far easier to have a switch that spark-cuts on shift to reduce driveline load during the change?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.