Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Celica GT4
FlansS14

posted on 3/9/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Celica GT4

Random one i know but im thinking of getting one to have a little winter fun in

im looking at the GT4 st205

has anyone had any dealings with these... what common faults there are ect.

most forums are biast... you lot speak ur mind

Why didn't i just make it simple!

minordelay

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Freind of mine has a gt4 up for sale, not sure if it's an st205. Pretty sure it's budget priced. Looks nice with white OZ 5 spokes on it.

PM me your number if you'd like me to put you in touch.

Cheers

scootz

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've driven one and was a bit underwhelmed by it!

*shameless plug to assist struggling younger sibling opportunity*

My brother has an EVO IV for sale. Much better car IMHO... and 450bhp on a rebuilt engine!

It's Evolution Baby!

x_flow57

posted on 3/9/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I had an ST185 Carlos Sainz GT4, wonderful car which I did 60K miles in 3 years without a single reliability issue.
Mine was lightly modified and had a genuine 250 flywheel bhp, the only downside was 15-20mpg average or 24max on a long run.

Celica GT4
Celica GT4

Nick

shaun fulcrum

posted on 3/9/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I had an ST205 for 2 years, it had 292bhp and 289ftlb and I can tell you they are great reliable cars and a lot of fun on the twisty bits

Main things to check are the suspension bushes (figure of 8's) and diff mount. Other than that just check the normal bits you look for on any car. Also clutch is an engine out job so if it's worn that usually costs £1000ish.

Only reason I sold it was to build the Fulcrum

MakeEverything

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Didnt the GT4 have rear wheel steering that played up?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

COREdevelopments

posted on 3/9/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Great cars. although i do prefer the st185 to the st205. They are getting on a bit now so do buy the first one you see. As said above check clutch as its an engine out job and I have done one! Its a big job!! so dont be affraid to give it some on the test drive. They do have different suspension to the standard GT (st202) and can be expensive to replace.
Good luck

Rob

Strontium Dog

posted on 3/9/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have run a 205 for years now.

It will kick any Scooby OR Evo's arse year for year. I can hold on to a Evo 6 and it takes a modded one to even think about pulling away from me anywhere. On the twisty's it is great and in the wet it is near unbeatable. I take mine out in the snow every year just cause it's sooo much fun. No traction control bollocks, just you and a machine! Torsen rear diff and viscous centre.

Evo 4, I've seen one in my rear view mirror once, briefly!

As to reliability they are OK if you leave them alone and are around 240hp. Mild mods to 280-300hp and few issues. The thing to look for is the front suspension. Lower arms and figure 8's are loose at 60,000miles and fubar by 80,000miles. These cost around £6-700 to replace. Easy to do though! I use mine as my daily drive. It even has some boot space, sort of!

There has never been RWS on any GT4 ever in any model as far as I know.

Try asking on the GT4DC. Yes it's a enthusiasts forum but it is the tech forum of alll GT4 forums. No bullshit and little banter, just honest expert opinions.

I would definitely go for the 205 as the earlier cars are getting long in the tooth and need £98724392355667676 throwing at them just to get 205 power.

And no, I'm not selling mine, not ever. Just about to fit a LPG kit to it in fact for cheaper motorway cruising and round town economy. So there you go. That's what I think anyway!

I will be at Rally day at Castle Combe in September on the DC stand. You'll spot mine easily as it'll be the scruffy, used looking one! Fell free to pop over for a look if you're there by any chance.

[Edited on 3/9/10 by Strontium Dog]

Stott

posted on 4/9/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
My colleague is selling his ST205 now, it's black on a P with white rims, the big wing and some splitters of sorts, he's on GT4OC.

It's last dyno run saw 354BHP so it's pretty swift, and he's just finished water methanol injection on it (he was going for 400BHP but bought a van and a new mx bike instead)

He's got it up for £4300 I think, if you want I'll get more details on it for you

It's pretty swift, and goes sideways well, and of course it sounds awesome. Perhaps most surprisingly is the fact it does 32 ish MPG on the commute if he's chilling.

Stott

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.