Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: why are these so cheap?
nnrouty

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
why are these so cheap?

Hi all

been looking for the sierra mushroom inserts for my project and found they are around £40 for the pair at most places.

But why are the rally designs inserts so cheap?

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1375_1594_1600_1601&products_id=13003

As long as its fast.... i don't care

LBMEFM

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Not so sure why they are cheap but I would trust Rally Design though. Barry
big_wasa

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mass produced and the center tappered hole instead of being offset will also make them cheaper to make.
dan_g8

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
not sure why but they do not have the offset hole which you need if your building the haynes roadster.

big_wasa

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
why do they need to be offset for the roadster ?
austin man

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
the offst allow for adjusting of castor as it gives a cam effect I believe

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

big_wasa

posted on 7/9/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Many a thread on here that says it doesnt actually alter the castor.
Minicooper

posted on 7/9/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well on a test build up I had the offset mushroom adapters in the wrong way and the castor was no where near the 20mm quoted. Turned them round and got the castor that I expected.

Cheers
David

big_wasa

posted on 8/9/10 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
Well on a test build up I had the offset mushroom adapters in the wrong way and the castor was no where near the 20mm quoted. Turned them round and got the castor that I expected.

Cheers
David

Thanks so worth the extra twenty quid then.

Mark G

posted on 8/9/10 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
It's always been a hot topic on here as to if they adjust the caster or not.

I say that they do as the centre point of the wheel is moved in relation to the top and bottom ball joints when the mushroom is adjusted. It is worth the extra to get offset inserts because you'll struggle to setup your suspension without them.

Minicooper

posted on 8/9/10 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper

Cheers
David

Thanks so worth the extra twenty quid then.

It happens to be the truth, what else can I say, I have no axe to grind here

I looked at the Rally Design mushroom adapters and could have easily moved the top wishbone mounting brackets a small amount to compensate, but a cheap pair of offset mushrooms came up so I used them

Cheers
David

[Edited on 8/9/10 by Minicooper]

procomp

posted on 8/9/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Like a lot of stuff supplied these days it originates from China.

The offset items do not adjust the Castor. It's the joints centers that dictate Castor not the upright it's self. It was Mk that started to do the offset items to supposedly correct the Castor. Then every one else copied them. Complete stupidity and a complete and utter lack of understanding of basic geometry.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hellbent345

posted on 8/9/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
the offset centre sorts the anti dive geometry of the sierra upright (apparently) and doesn't adjust castor really... There could be a small effect induced with moving the wheel centre behind the 'line' between top and bottom joints (i.e. like a supermarket trolley wheel) but this will be small, and the inserts shouldn't be used for that anyway.

They are cheap because they can be mass produced with a bar feed on a normal lathe with a three jaw chuck - offset inserts require either a 4 jaw chuck or some sort of live tooling to create the offset, or moving it to a mill etc. Basically more work.

Minicooper

posted on 8/9/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Procomp you know much more about than I ever will, but something is very different depending on the offset mushroom adapters position.

I will take a couple of pictures to show people what I'm trying to explain, one way must be the right way.

Had a poke round the Haynes forum it appears as the offset mushroom is for this quote:
"The reason they are offset is to align the top and bottom pivots with the axle centre line better, If you draw an imaginary line through the Sierra upright you will see that if the mushroom insert is concentric it will miss the centre line of the axle, requiring more effort to self centre." Another quote: "The effective castor is less than the actual castor the further away you get from the centreline of the axle"

I'm not claiming to know anything about suspension geometry that's why I followed the book exactly, including the offset mushrooms.

Even with any potential defiences it will be way better than anything I could do

Cheers
David

procomp

posted on 8/9/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
In very basic terms they are using the offset to align the axle center with the joint centers. But the amount of movement is not enough to worry about given the very small effect it has upon the handling as a result given the very basics are so far out in the first place.
By all means use the offset items but moving the axle center a few MM without getting the rest of the basics right is a little pointless.
Its still amusing how they have gone from being sold as Castor adjusters to now being sold as highly technical handling improvement devices.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
l71300cc

posted on 19/10/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
If someone can give me the exact dimensions of the mushroom insert with the offset then i can make a pair for a good price for those interested.

thanks,

Albert.

Talon Motorsport

posted on 19/10/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
current price is £45 a pair with free postage , off you go then....
NigeEss

posted on 19/10/11 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I've read somewhere that the offset mushroom affect KPI and camber but
not caster.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

TheGecko

posted on 20/10/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a diagram scanned from "Car Suspension at Work" (ISBN 1-899870-31-8)

What turning one of those offset mushroom things is changing is the Castor Trail NOT the Castor Angle. The Castor Angle is fixed by the relationship between the top and bottom ball joints which an offset mushroom isn't changing.

Simples?

Dominic

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/10/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l71300cc
If someone can give me the exact dimensions of the mushroom insert with the offset then i can make a pair for a good price for those interested.

thanks,

Albert.

That's kind of you to offer your time for someone on here...

quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport

I don't work in the motorsport industry, so I don't know how it worls there, and I've never been regarded as intelligent, so I could be wrong, but;- I'm not sure that telling someone what something costs (inc free postage) constitutes exact dimensions...................

Or is it that I'm just not up on the young persons vernacular when it comes to sarcam?

40inches

posted on 20/10/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:
Originally posted by l71300cc

thanks,

Albert.

That's kind of you to offer your time for someone on here...

quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport

I don't work in the motorsport industry, so I don't know how it worls there, and I've never been regarded as intelligent, so I could be wrong, but;- I'm not sure that telling someone what something costs (inc free postage) constitutes exact dimensions...................

Or is it that I'm just not up on the young persons vernacular when it comes to sarcam?

Ah! young persons sarcasm, thought I recognized it. Having a 17 and 18 year old in the house, you sort of get used to it

snapper

posted on 20/10/11 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a camber adjuster where the top ball joint joins the wishbone then some washers either side of the chassis mo ts can adjust wishbone trail for caster.
Usually the offset top hole in the mushroom is for the ball joint taper to be set at the correct angle in bump and rebound as wishbones are straight and not kicked up (or down)

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Talon Motorsport

posted on 20/10/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
The dims for the mushrooms are on the haynes forum easily found with a basic search,funny that haynes parts drawings on the haynes forum? Knowing how long it takes to set a manual lathe up to do a pair of off set mushrooms and what the material costs per pair I mearly stated that if some one wants to give their work away for next to nothing then they are more than welcome to.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.