Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pressure regulator
ChrisW

posted on 7/6/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel pressure regulator

I need to get a fuel pressure regulator as the pressure from my electric fuel pump appears to be too much for the carb on my v6. Thinking of the 'pressure regulator only' one on here:

http://www.raldes.co.uk/catalog/page102.htm

Anyone got any experience of these things? Can you tweak the fuel pressure as required or do they just limit it to a fixed pressure?

Chrisd

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cosworth

posted on 7/6/04 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yes this will work-the fuel pressure is adjustable
SteveF

posted on 7/6/04 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Only problem is that there is no calibration on the adjustment - so you need to borrow a fuel pressure guage to calibrate it - or shell out the extra £20 or so for the one with a guage.

Alternatively - you could get one of the purolator regulators - which have a calibrated dial, and cost less

A couple of interesting comments on this site - which contradict the general view of 3 psi for feeding webers & use of facet pumps

ned

posted on 7/6/04 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Why bother with calibration?

just run the pump through the regulator into a measuring cylinder/jug over a timed period ie 1 minute, then work out the throughput, simple. adjust whichever way is necessary on the regulator from there.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 7/6/04 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Probably ned because your talking about flow rate and you want to calibrate pressure...

Cheers

ChrisW

posted on 7/6/04 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of those Facet pumps. Looks like it was a bad choice! Once the float chamber is full it pumps fuel through the jets straight into the carb

I'll get a pressure regulator and have a go. Raldes don't sell one with a guage but I'm sure I can just tweak it down until the problem stops then a bit for luck and see what happens.

Chris

My gaff my rules

Mk-Ninja

posted on 7/6/04 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
What about a bike fuel pump, ie low pressure and cheap.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

britishtrident

posted on 7/6/04 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Do the job right get a low pressure high volume pump -- the reason is that no regulator is 100% reliable under no flow conditions -- regulators can only reliably regulate pressure when the fluid is actually flowing. Under no or very low flow conditions ie when the engine is at idle speed any wear on the regulator valve will result in the pressure going up to full pump out put pressure.

If you want still use a regulator then the only safe way of doing it is also to fit a small bore return line going back to the tank

robbydee

posted on 7/6/04 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
just finished fitted twin 40,s to my 2.0 pinto with a silver top facet feul pump and the filter king regulater and i have the same problems as described earlier.. one the float chanber is full just forces fule out of jets straight into carb.. hance only runs on 2 cylindars... suggestions..?
greggors84

posted on 8/6/04 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
This could have happened to me too, i had fuel dripping out of the carbs. Im using a facet fuel pump with filter king regulator.
It seems to have stopped now, but would like to know if it can be fixed.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Dave J

posted on 8/6/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Whist we are on the subject of electric fuel pumps, I have a Carter 4070 rotary fuel pump. Does anybody know if these pumps require priming if they are above the bottom of the fuel tank?. Unfortunately owing to lack of space mine is almost level with the top of the tank.

Anybody found a contact or website for the company (Carter)?, Can't seem to find anything myself.

Thanks,

Dave.

britishtrident

posted on 9/6/04 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
A good source of reliable low pressure fuel pumps is scrap pre 1988 Rover 216 models with carbs (216S and 216Se) they have a nice AC electric pump -- very quiet and good delivery rate..

I don't know if this pump was also fitted to the 213 of the same era.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.