Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Breather Take Off Valve
couch22k

posted on 13/9/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Breather Take Off Valve

Ive just bought a breather take off elbow for my Pinto to go to a oil catch tank and im not sure about the set up.

Is it like this, with what im guessing is a sort of baffle out off the block.

Or do i remove everything and have it going straight into the block.

Cheers

Steve

Stott

posted on 13/9/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Supposed to be the 1st one IIRC, the lower half is a flame trap and the top half is the pcv valve, both should be run together.

I just use a brand new (Burtons) OEM PCV valve and the flame trap

Does that elbow have the valve in it though or is it just hollow?

HTH
Stott

EDIT: just re-read. If you are using a tank then I guess you won't need the valve, if it were plumbed to vacuum as std then you'd need one

ATB
Stott

[Edited on 13/9/10 by Stott]

couch22k

posted on 13/9/10 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Stott

I guess i still need the flame trap then.

Wish I knew you needed a PCV valve i got one from Burtons too, then had to order this one after i realised it was no good with a tank.

Steve

Stott

posted on 13/9/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nevermind, at least it only done you for about £6 whereas Ford wouldn't sell me one separately, only together with the trap, and it was just shy of £40!!!

no - thank - you, mr ford parts person

EDIT: that sounded like I bought it from ford, I didn't I laughed a bit, then rang burtons, lol

[Edited on 13/9/10 by Stott]

nick205

posted on 13/9/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I ran mmine the 2nd way although I had to turn a little off the diameter to get a good knock in interference fit in the block. Run a suitable oil safe hose up as high as possible then back down into a vented catch tank. Use a hose clip to secure the hose to the breather elbow or it will leak

What breathing arrangement have you got on the rocker cover? I ran a filler cap with breather take of plumbed into the same catch tank.

If the engines healthy and properly vented up top and the sump is well baffled you should get little or no oil vented into the catch tank - maybe a bit of oily condensation at worst.

jacko

posted on 13/9/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
You will not need a valve if you are going to a catch tank.
If you do use a valve and the pipe it is not connected to the carb / inlet manifold to get a vacuum to open the valve you will presser the sump and blow oil out of the rocker filter
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 13/9/10 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
2nd picture defo

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
couch22k

posted on 13/9/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I ran mmine the 2nd way although I had to turn a little off the diameter to get a good knock in interference fit in the block. Run a suitable oil safe hose up as high as possible then back down into a vented catch tank. Use a hose clip to secure the hose to the breather elbow or it will leak

What breathing arrangement have you got on the rocker cover? I ran a filler cap with breather take of plumbed into the same catch tank.

If the engines healthy and properly vented up top and the sump is well baffled you should get little or no oil vented into the catch tank - maybe a bit of oily condensation at worst.

Yes, im running it with a take off from the filler cap to the same catch tank which is vented (see piccy) Think this is right.

I'll take it to my friendly engineering company to get it turned down a little.

Thanks all for your help.

RichardK

posted on 13/9/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted mine to go straight up so used the burton one as a template.

This maybe of use, it should be a tight interference fit, sjust a few taps of a rubber mallet should be enough, doesn'nt have to go all the way down.

Cheers

Rich

nick205

posted on 13/9/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by couch22k
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Yes, im running it with a take off from the filler cap to the same catch tank which is vented (see piccy) Think this is right.

I'll take it to my friendly engineering company to get it turned down a little.

Thanks all for your help.

Spot on IMO and...if I might say, what a ridiculously clean and well rpesented engine bay you have there

Stott

posted on 14/9/10 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK

This maybe of use, it should be a tight interference fit, sjust a few taps of a rubber mallet should be enough, doesn'nt have to go all the way down.

Cheers

Rich

That's not the PCV valve though, for anyone reading this, running a std breather and who is now confused. The left most item in your photo is the flame trap, the pcv valve pushes into the top of this.

If you are running a catch tank then you can replace it with a turned up elbow or straight bit, but then you can use it either with or without the trap. There's no point in leaving it out IMO as it makes a good seal as std with the fit to the block and the grommet to seal to the valve/elbow.

This is the PCV valve, which pushes into the bit on the left of your pic:

[Edited on 14/9/10 by Stott]

flak monkey

posted on 14/9/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
The first pic is correct. The PCV valve would have been fitted to the flame trap as a seperate item.

The elbow DOESNT go straight into the block!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RichardK

posted on 14/9/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I stand corrected then, I stuck mine into the block as it wasn't a good fit in the flame trap thingy ( I thought that was the pcv valve as its got a spring and shutter inside when I took mine apart)and it kept falling out! Since then always thought that's where its meant to be.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 14/9/10 by RichardK]

couch22k

posted on 14/9/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all

Dropped it off at engineers today to get it turned down for a better fit.

Steve

DRC INDY 7

posted on 14/9/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have mine fitted to the flame trap and to stop it vibrating loose i superglued it to the rubber its still there after 2000 miles running this year to date

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.