Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tips on Fitting Ally Trim required........
Bumble

posted on 15/9/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Tips on Fitting Ally Trim required........

Can anyone give me some tips on how best to fit the ally trim (Hockey stick profile) along side of car and where it curves over up to the rear bulkhead panel. Want to fit in one piece and I'm sure there's a knack to this.
Thanks.
Matt

shortie

posted on 15/9/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
You just need to put a small cut in the rounded edge at the point where it starts to curve up the arch.

Bend it smoothly along the curve of the arch and rivet it as you go to keep it in place.

bigpig

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I did it without a cut, just very careful bending, and as I bent it, I kept hammering the bend back in to shape to avoid a crease. You will also find it tries to twist too.
Just do it slowly in small stages.
Annealing it will help too (put a bit of washing up liquid on one side, heat the other side until the liquid starts to go brown, then immediately quench it). Repeat the annealing a few times if needed will help make the ally nice and soft.
After that once you have the shape, you can heat it again followed by a slow cool to re-harden (non-ferrous metals temper in the opposite way to ferrous).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.