Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know about throttle bodies???
David_17

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know about throttle bodies???

Does anyone know if the vaccum take offs on my gsxr 600 throttle bodies will be big enough to feed my fuel pressure regulator and map sensor on ecu (if i join them all together with vaccum hose)

Cheers

Dave

doddy

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
i dont know on mine i use them for the map sensor and have a nomal adjusterable pressure regulator
paulf

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it will be fine, I have the same TBs and made some tee pieces from brake pipe silver soldered together and then joined up with rubber vacuum hose.
Paul

David_17

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, thats good to know.

What did you do with the extra one (left hand side in pic).

doddy

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
mine are blanked off
coozer

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David_17
Cheers guys, thats good to know.

What did you do with the extra one (left hand side in pic).

On mine it goes to the rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David_17

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Will just one vaccum nipple be enough for the regulator? (standard zetec one)
paulf

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yes just join it to the pressure reg, it is connected to all the others internally.
Paul

David_17

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, think i've got it...

i'll have 4 nipples all joined together going to the ecu's map sensor. Then the tb with an extra nipple going to the fuel pressure regulator.

Is that right??

[Edited on 15/9/10 by David_17]

DaveFJ

posted on 16/9/10 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David_17
Ah, think i've got it...

i'll have 4 nipples all joined together going to the ecu's map sensor. Then the tb with an extra nipple going to the fuel pressure regulator.

Is that right??

That's how i have done mine.... seems to work although the map signal i get to megasquirt is pretty rough.. there has been some talk about using a small fuel filter along the line as a damper but i haven't tried it - yet.....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

fatbaldbloke

posted on 16/9/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry chaps, going to disagree with a few of you. None of the tappings are "internally linked" within the throttle bodies, assuming they are the early separate TB's. It's possible they are linked within the manifold but rather unlikely. What this means is that the extra one only senses the pressure in TB number 3, which fluctuates depending on the cycle of the engine. If you connect this to your powerboost fuel prv, or similar, it will cause the fuel pressure to oscillate at the same frequency. To test this, run the engine with a fuel pressure gauge fitted. Much better with bike TB's on a car to blank this one off and vent the prv to atmosphere, you can achieve much the same effect as a powerboost prv with fuel mapping.

Moving onto the other 4 ports; if you insist on using MAP to sense the load, then connect them all together and hope the signal is smooth. It probably won't be, and some users (expect them to come along shortly) will damp the signal with welding nozzles, fuel filters, and all sorts. However, the best solution for a small-ish high revving engine is to use throttle position sensing as the load sensor and don't bother with the MAP signal at all (unless the engine is turbocharged, and then you will need pressure feedback). One of the reasons with bike TB's, especially GSXR's, is that they will idle at around 50mB pressure, however as soon as you crack them open the manifold pressure will increase to around 94-95 mB, with some ripple on it, and leave you with only 3 or 4 mB over which to try to map the whole of the throttle range. As if by way of reinforcing this, look at any high performance race engine of similar genre from Dunnell, Raceline, Scholar, etc, none of them use MAP for load sensing, always TPS.
So, my advice is block the whole lot off, let the prv vent to atmosphere and use throttle position sensing for your load detector unless the engine is boosted.
There's more about it on my website, link below.

[Edited on 16/9/10 by fatbaldbloke]

MikeRJ

posted on 16/9/10 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fatbaldblokeMuch better with bike TB's on a car to blank this one off and vent the prv to atmosphere, you can achieve much the same effect as a powerboost prv with fuel mapping.

The problem with this is you get a higher pressure drop across the fuel injectors at idle than you do at WOT, which isn't helpful in keeping injector pulse widths at a reasonable level at idle.

fatbaldbloke

posted on 16/9/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The problem with this is you get a higher pressure drop across the fuel injectors at idle than you do at WOT, which isn't helpful in keeping injector pulse widths at a reasonable level at idle.

I wouldn't disagree, what you say is quite correct. My own experience of running a powerboost prv vented to atmosphere however is that I haven't had a problem, and I'd suggest a stable vent to atmosphere is better than a fluctuating pressure to a single tapping in one throttle body. However, if one accepts that throttle position is the better load indicator than manifold pressure, so you don't need a MAP signal at the ECU, there's no reason why one couldn't use the linked pipes from each throttle body to set the vacuum in the prv. That might be a decent solution, although I haven't tried it myself. So, block off the single outlet, and connect the other 4 outlets together using this to control the prv.

paulf

posted on 16/9/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I actually run mine like this, all the take offs are linked and connected to both the MAP sensor and the PRV, but after trying to run MAP for a while I now use Alpha -N and just let the manifold pressure regulate the fuel.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by fatbaldbloke
quote:

I wouldn't disagree, what you say is quite correct. My own experience of running a powerboost prv vented to atmosphere however is that I haven't had a problem, and I'd suggest a stable vent to atmosphere is better than a fluctuating pressure to a single tapping in one throttle body. However, if one accepts that throttle position is the better load indicator than manifold pressure, so you don't need a MAP signal at the ECU, there's no reason why one couldn't use the linked pipes from each throttle body to set the vacuum in the prv. That might be a decent solution, although I haven't tried it myself. So, block off the single outlet, and connect the other 4 outlets together using this to control the prv.

David_17

posted on 16/9/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like the best option to me. Will i have to do anything with the map sensor if using tps mode? Plug it off or just leave it?

Cheers

Dave

fatbaldbloke

posted on 17/9/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'm assuming you're thinking of using megasquirt, where the sensor is on the board. If so just leave it open. Depending on the ECU you can use it to adjust for atmospheric pressure if you're really fussy. Might be needed if you do Pike's Peak....

[Edited on 17/9/10 by fatbaldbloke]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.