Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine swap for MGF
Trev Borg

posted on 18/9/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Engine swap for MGF

Well I'm posting here because out of any forums, this one is most probably the largest user of different verities of engines I could find.

So, I have have been thinking about engine swaps for the mgf, and my first thoughts were to fit the T16 tomcat engine. I have one in the back of the garage, but the installation into the subframe is stating to look a little complicated.

I would have been nice to use as it shares the pg1 box with the k series and I have an lsd for it.

So, as the engine swap is still some time away (if it ever happens), what would be a nice donor.

I nice fwd engine and box or middy.
small
light
160 bhp or more would be nice.
I like turbos, but cooling may be an issue.

Oh and cheap, reliable and plentiful.

All the normal engine that can be easily converted to rwd are usually higher in price, so something not easily converted would be fine.

any thoughts?

V6 would be nice if I could get one to fit.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

rusty nuts

posted on 18/9/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Don't some people fit the Honda or Toyota lump to the Lotus Elise to replace the K series?
Might be worth looking at ?

iank

posted on 18/9/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
The K series it has covers all those requirements, certainly it's going to be the easiest and cheapest option.

People argue they aren't reliable but if the cooling system is working properly and they have all the latest gaskets and dowels fitted then they are as reliable as any other modern engine.

They usually fail due to people ignoring overheating which cooks all modern all alloy engines equally i.e. poor maintainance.

p.s. The car looks very good as a speedster btw.

[Edited on 18/9/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Trev Borg

posted on 18/9/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

p.s. The car looks very good as a speedster btw.

[Edited on 18/9/10 by iank]

Thanks.

I realise the k is a good engine if looked after, but just thinking of something a little different really, and a little more power.

I know the k6 has been fitted with a little bit of shoe horning in.

The Honda vtec has also been done.

Only thing is they are not cheap engines to get hold of.

I would like something no one else wants due to gearbox options or width issues.

saab high presure 2.3 turbo is awsome, but again, back to cooling issues.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

imp paul

posted on 18/9/10 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
if its down to cost it makes it a tight choice of engine but a nice engine is a honda b18 or a k20a but both engines hold a good price also dont know if it would fit but vauxhall 1990 red top xe engine is very good with a few mods like webbers and con rod bolts cams at a good price good bang for your bucks good luck in your choice keep us updated
big_wasa

posted on 18/9/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
The engine you want is the vag 1.8 20v turbo.

Reyland now do a conversion kit to mate it to a Pg1. They are putting them in zs's and zr's aswell as metro's with upto 350bhp at the min but the only limit is the depth of your wallet.

They do a drive in and drive out conversion for about £6.5K but I think this can be done for a lot less by a Locoster Infact I want one in a zs and may have a go for my next projecct.

JonBowden

posted on 18/9/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have been looking at ths recently. if you search google for "MGF v6" you'll find some usefull links.
Rover KV6 engines have been fitted - one of the above links covers doing this.
Main downside of a V6 is a higher weight and higher centre of gravity messing up the handling a bit (no personal experience, so don't know how much)
The k series 1.8 turbo as fitted to some rover 75s would also be a nice choice and might not need to much adaptation - its also lighter than a V6

Jon

ashg

posted on 18/9/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
did an engine swap on a tf last week. a honda civic type r lump and box would fit in that subframe easily although you might need to slightly modify the boot/engine bay separator panel

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.