Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building an Upstairs Garage (Wooden Floor?)
JonBowden

posted on 19/9/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Building an Upstairs Garage (Wooden Floor?)

I live in a house where the garden has no road access.
The house is build on a hill such that the front ground level is one floor up relative to the back.
The only way to build a garage with road access would be at the side of the house. Trouble is that the garage floor would not be on the ground.
The garage floor would need to be either a wooden floor on joists or some sort of steel construction.
For the moment, I am ignoring planning permission and building control. This would be required but there is no point instarting that process if the project is just not practical.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea
Has anyone here got a similar garage floor.
My choices are either to build this or to move.

There should be a picture here:

Description
Description

[Edited on 19/9/10 by JonBowden]

[Edited on 19/9/10 by JonBowden]

Jon

mistergrumpy

posted on 19/9/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

JonBowden

posted on 19/9/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
thanks - I'm sure there used to be a button for this

Jon

snapper

posted on 19/9/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Pre cast concrete floor beams with support posts under
Some of these are designed to drop concrete blocks between them to make the floor

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Tommy P

posted on 19/9/10 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
It's not impossible, but you would need to consider a few things such as width (span) and load bearing. Timber would not be the best choice due to flex and you will need to consider fire barrier in particular it's relevant position and proximity to the dwelling part of the house.

Steel beams are an option as are concrete beams and block inserts with screed on top.

A structural engineer will be able to help with load bearing calculations specific to the weight of vehicle/s and other equipment you will have on the floor area.

do a search or contact you local builders merchants (most are very helpfull) and ask about concrete and block flooring systems. If you can tell them the weights and span involved and the overall area, they will be able to tell you the best method and sizes of beams you will need, along with an idea of the costs for the materials.

Hope this was helpful - anything is possible, it just boils down to how much £££ you have available.

JonBowden

posted on 19/9/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I know it can be done but is a bit unusual.
I live in a conveniant location - near the station
The process of moving would be expensive and time consuming - everyone says I should sell the house before buying another. Finding somewhere that I can afford with a big garage round here is difficult.
Thus building a garage here may make sense.
Does anyone know of similar garages?

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 19/9/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
the width would be about 4 m
the length about 12 - 13 m

Jon

adithorp

posted on 19/9/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see why it can't be done. We used to have a workshop like that with a concrete floor over a large cellar.
It'd be worth building in a "pit" in the floor. We had 2 with lift out boards down the workshop. It gives you access to the underside of the car without being as cramped as a traditional pit. Make sure the workshop below has ventillation though.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MakeEverything

posted on 19/9/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Get an architect over to have a chat. They will also have more of an idea with regards to building control etc.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Bigheppy

posted on 19/9/10 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Why not install a four post lift on the ground floor then you only need to worry about part of the floor,in the up position just drive your car onto it, it would also enable you to lower the car into the workshop and work underneath it. It would also enable you to get heavy things into your garden.

[Edited on 19/9/10 by Bigheppy]

trextr7monkey

posted on 19/9/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Our house is a bungalow built into a hill side with double garage underneath, the house is built on top of garage and the double garage width is done ina single span using the bison beams with concrete blocks in between as described above. There is a screed laid over the top and effectively the entire floor of the house is on these beams so can't see your idea being a problem as effectively you would just need a thicker, possibly reinforced, screed on top. You need someone to work out the loads and specs for beams etc
Good luck

Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

rachaeljf

posted on 19/9/10 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, your project is quite straightforward. Such structures are very common in commercial and industrial buildings - google "mezzanine floor" for ideas. I would suggest a cold-formed steel framed structure with the cladding of your choice would be the best bet for cost and ease of construction.

Cheers R

MikeR

posted on 19/9/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just about to say the same as Rachael. Be careful with the workshop heigh - 2m isn't a lot of headroom. I'd also suggest figuring out a way of getting a lot of weight in / out of the workshop in a safe way. It would be horrible to have the space and find you couldn't get a lathe / engine / something else heavy down there.
JonBowden

posted on 19/9/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it would be practical to get much more than 2m headroom in the workshop.
I had hoped it might be opssible to have some sort of removeable access panel in the garage floor. This would allow heavy items (engines, lathes, etc) to be lowered and provide access to the underside of a car parked above.

Jon

MakeEverything

posted on 19/9/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigheppy
Why not install a four post lift on the ground floor then you only need to worry about part of the floor,in the up position just drive your car onto it, it would also enable you to lower the car into the workshop and work underneath it. It would also enable you to get heavy things into your garden.

[Edited on 19/9/10 by Bigheppy]

Great idea. Have the lift with space for the car which can then be lowered into the basement. Also, when the car lowers, a new floor also lowers to cover the hole that the car is in. Voila. Space for two cars, AND a workshop.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

JonBowden

posted on 19/9/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
MakeEverything - I quite like your variation on the car lift idea. I think big brother (building control) might also have thoughts on that.
It would require quite a lot of work to create a whole floor section that wen up and down

Jon

MakeEverything

posted on 19/9/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
MakeEverything - I quite like your variation on the car lift idea. I think big brother (building control) might also have thoughts on that.
It would require quite a lot of work to create a whole floor section that wen up and down

I agree, but speak to them to see if its possible, and what they would like to see as safety measures etc. Tell them that it would get another two cars off the road and ease congestion in the street.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

scudderfish

posted on 19/9/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Whenever the car was being lifted up, it would have to play the Thunderbirds theme tune.
MakeEverything

posted on 19/9/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Whenever the car was being lifted up, it would have to play the Thunderbirds theme tune.

without the music....

dun da da daaaa, da-de du de du duddy duh da deeeer.....

You could buy a nerdy shirt and walk around pretending to be tony stark as well....

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 19/9/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
[pretending to be tony stark as well....

Just gave myself a semi thinking about having a moment in the basement with Miss Potts!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

JonBowden

posted on 19/9/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
too much detail.
I like the idea. I guess a 4-post could be altered to do the job

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 19/9/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, the vision in my head is more Wallace and Gromit than Thunderbirds

Jon

RazMan

posted on 19/9/10 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon the lift idea would be easier to get around building regs.

Cracking idea!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 19/9/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Why not take a couple of sketches and go and talk with the planning dept? Our local one used to be very helpful, not that I have had to go to them recently.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.