Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: G forces
zilspeed

posted on 20/9/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
G forces

Seeing as I'm a sad git, I have spent some time today sifting through data logging figures.

I'm telling you, give me a mug of tea, some cholestorol and an excel spread sheet full of numbers and I'm in heaven.

Anyway.

We data logged a fairly typical road trip and one of the things which I established was that the G forces in an everyday road car really are pretty tame.

0.81 G giving it the full beans.
0.52G on a reasonably firm non emergency stop.
0.6G lateral, so cornering force.

How do we reckon this compares to what can be achieved with a lightweight sportscar like one of ours, or say a racing car.
As a reference, it seems an F1 car can acheive pretty much 5G in lateral and braking with 1.45G under acceleration.

Or, is it all a load of old cobblers ?

lsdweb

posted on 20/9/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Poor resolution but some data of my single seater on a hillclimb - here

Wyn

andyw7de

posted on 20/9/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
John you really do need to get out more

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

A1

posted on 20/9/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
if i remember correctly, the ultima gtr can reach 1.6g cornering
mcerd1

posted on 20/9/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
if i remember correctly, the ultima gtr can reach 1.6g cornering

isn't that on a 200 ft diamiter circle (that test the americans love to do)

-

brianthemagical

posted on 20/9/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming no aero loading, even weight distribution and no funny business then the maximum accelerative forces are equivalent to the Cf of the tyre and the gravity under which the vehicle is operating, thus its Cf G's.
So if the Cf of the tyre is 1, then the vehicle will accelerate at 1 G.

If anyone knows anything about the complex life of a tyres Cf while in use, then they'll know it's very unlikely for this to occur in the real world.

Down force would increase the above example proportionally, thus it now becomes the ratio between the normal tyre load and the mass of the vehicle, multiplied by Cf. But as we know the Cf of the tyre will alter, so it's not easy for the average driver to use this for calculations.

Ultimately, the higher the G value you log, the faster the vehicle will corner.

All you need to do is increase the aero loading and it will/should increase the cornering force, if you have the power to move the vehicle fast enough to realise the downforce to generate the normal loading. Such an amount of downforce will cause drag, which would need power to overcome, thus bringing the circle of traction into play and making the whole situation well beyond anything low cost.

[Edited on 20/9/10 by brianthemagical]

zilspeed

posted on 20/9/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyw7de
John you really do need to get out more

Is the correct answer.

craig1410

posted on 20/9/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan Skyline's are known to achieve 1.3g in race mode with R888 tyres. I don't think that there would have been any significant aero loading so it's fair to conclude that the friction co-efficient of the tyres in a dynamic situation can be greater than 1.0

The Lotus Europa used to hold the world record for lateral 'g' if I remember correctly and it was just shy of 1.0g. In fact here is the Wikipedia article. It was 0.9g and this was on 1960's tyres... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Europa

From what I've read, a modern street tyre will produce up to 1.2 and sticky racing tyres even higher. I've seen a wikipedia article suggesting that 1.7 is possible but there was no citation so take that with a pinch of salt.

The biggest benefit a Locost type car has is a low centre of gravity and relatively short suspension travel so roll angle is kept to a minimum and suspension geometry remains close to optimum, assuming it was optimal before you entered the corner of course.

rodgling

posted on 20/9/10 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
.8g under acceleration is surprisingly good for an everyday road car - I don't think I've managed anything that high in my Elise (standard 1.8 k-series). The best I've managed according to the iphone is .71 under acceleration, 1.23 under braking, and 1.18 laterally (recorded some slightly higher lateral numbers, but I think those were with a spin). All on road tyres (Kumho 31s), so much higher numbers should be possible for braking/cornering.
BobM

posted on 21/9/10 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
From my logs on my FuryBusa at Snett on Sunday:
Accel 0.6g
Braking 1.05g
Lateral 1.3g

Clearly not trying hard enough ...

Not very Locost but very BEC

britishtrident

posted on 21/9/10 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Depends what you consider a reasonably firm stop.

On a Locost foot brakes should be able to pull 1g with ease even 1950s Ford could pull 0.85g peak braking decelleration without too much problem, istr 0.5g is the minium legal requirement.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

hughpinder

posted on 21/9/10 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
The only information I have is for Avon pro 13" cart tyres:

coef of friction (dry) = 2-(0.000185*F), where F is the normal force in newtons on the tyre - say 150kg approx 1500N give Cf of 1.7.
Avon state wet = 0.87-(0.00064*f) = 0.7, hence the big difference between wet and dry grip!

ETA
So for a road car, say 400kg/wheel at the front, Cf 1.25 in the dry, .55 in the wet.

ETA2
Your standard road car does 0-60 in 3.4 sec!!!!!
Regards
Hugh

[Edited on 21/9/10 by hughpinder]

[Edited on 21/9/10 by hughpinder]

chris mason

posted on 21/9/10 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
The best i managed in the Sr2 were;

accel: 0.52 (well it's only a 1600)

decel: 0.91 (was hoping for better than that but the brakes were new and needed bedding in)

Lateral: 1.90 (which i thought wasn't bad, the car really does corner well)

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/9/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brianthemagical
Assuming no aero loading, even weight distribution and no funny business then the maximum accelerative forces are equivalent to the Cf of the tyre and the gravity under which the vehicle is operating, thus its Cf G's.

This is true for deceleration where all 4 wheels contribute, and would be true for acceleration if your had 4 wheel drive. But normally not all the cars weight will be on the rear wheels. Just something to remember.

Matt

[Edited on 21/9/10 by matt_gsxr]

brianthemagical

posted on 21/9/10 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
quote:
Originally posted by brianthemagical

This is true for deceleration where all 4 wheels contribute, and would be true for acceleration if your had 4 wheel drive. But normally not all the cars weight will be on the rear wheels. Just something to remember.

Matt

[Edited on 21/9/10 by matt_gsxr]

That's why i stated if weight dist is even, and how it's also unlikley under normal driving. Under any form of acceleration (lateral and both pos and neg transverse) there is likely to be some weight transfer, the Cf's become less than optimum and it's a factor of all four wheels and there avalible force.

boggle

posted on 21/9/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
managed 1.1g on acceleration in the scoobydoo drag car with nos....oh what a feeling

i miss those days

never went round corners or braked hard so didnt record the rest

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

phelpsa

posted on 21/9/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I managed a 64ft time of 2.4secs at shelsey on the weekend. If my maths is correct that equates to an average acceleration of 6.8m/s^2 or 0.7g across the first 64ft. Not too shabby considering its uphill on old, hard and cold tyres

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.