Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oscilloscope - how to use
thepest

posted on 22/9/10 at 04:26 AM Reply With Quote
Oscilloscope - how to use

Hello All, its been a few months since I've been on this forum & I'm back into tuning my machine again.

I bought myself a digital oscilloscope because I would like to set the dwell with my Megasquirt. I'm using the standard ford coil pack. Has anyone done this before?
To where should I be connecting the oscilloscope poles & what settings should I use (Time base etc)?

Thanks

wylliezx9r

posted on 22/9/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends what your trying to measure. The amplitude and timebase sholud be set so that you can display at least 1 cycle on the screen.
If you can tell me roughly what sort of signal you are trying to measure I could give you the rough settings.
I don't know what type of probes you are using but the normal type is sort is a probe with a crocodile clip coming off it. The clip would go to earth (reference) and the probe would go to the point where you want the signal.

Bluemoon

posted on 22/9/10 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
As above, try playing with it so you understand what it's doing, there should be a square-wave test point probably on the scope. You can use this to play with, try to measure the period of the wave to make sure you understand how it works..

Is it a dual beam scope (i.e. two channel)? If not you will need to use the trigger to measure the dwell..

Dan

[Edited on 22/9/10 by Bluemoon]

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/9/10 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.picoauto.com/tutorials/ignition-primary.html

there are some helpful pages here on using their digital oscilloscopes.

Have a play, they are great tools.

Matt

MikeRJ

posted on 22/9/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
When setting up dwell, the actual event you are interested in is the saturation of the coil primary. To see this you ideally need to monitor current rather than voltage.

You have three options - the best by far is to use a hall effect current probe. This requires no circuits to be broken or any components added, and does not affect the circuit you are measuring in any way. They aren't especially cheap however.

The other way is to insert a low value resistor into the ignition supply wire to the coil and measure the voltage drop across it. You need as low a value as possible to minimise the effect on the primary current, consistent with being able to get enough voltage to measure with a reasonable degree of accuracy. For a coil with a saturation current of, e.g. 7 amps something like a 0.05 Ohm resistor would give you 0.35 volts which is plenty (assuming even a half decent scope). You really need two channels to do this since the resistor is not ground referenced in this position.

The third option is to measure voltage on the switched side of the coil. Since the transistor switching the coil has a finite resistance, the voltage drop across it will increase with primary current. However, you don't know what this resistance is, so you can only get a relative measurement. You also need to be aware that there will be a high voltage at this point when the transistor switches off to generate the spark, this could be around 300 volts, so you need to make sure your scope can deal with this without damage.

[Edited on 22/9/10 by MikeRJ]

thepest

posted on 23/9/10 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, My oscilloscope has 2 poles the probe and the crocodile clip which would be the earth.

Is there any other way I can use this tool? I mean if the current is increasing going into the coil then drops when it discharges wouldn't the voltage do the same?

As Mike says I am trying to measure coil saturation but my probe can only measure voltage and not current.
I can set my readings as follows:
Frequency, cycle, duty, Vpp,Vram,Vavg, DC voltage.

MikeRJ

posted on 23/9/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thepest
Is there any other way I can use this tool? I mean if the current is increasing going into the coil then drops when it discharges wouldn't the voltage do the same?

Not by much, only due to the resiatnce of any wiring and the coil driver transistor. It's inductance that limits the current rise in the coil during the dwell time, until you reach saturation where it's the resistance of the coil.

I would try simply measuring the voltage on the switched side of the coil with respect to ground - the voltage during the dwell period will rise a little and you should be able to detect saturation. Check the maximum voltage rating on your scopes input though, if it's less than ~300 volts then use a 10:1 probe or you may find the voltage generated during a spark event could damage your scope.

thepest

posted on 24/9/10 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
Any other "Locost" method that I may use to detect coil saturation?

Probes of this type cost a penny or two more than I want to spare

needforspeed

posted on 26/9/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
just ask phil on extraefi.co.uk unless you really want to do it yourself :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.