Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet recommendations
flak monkey

posted on 23/9/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Helmet recommendations

I currently have a Nitro N800V-X which seems ok, but its noisy and likes trying to rip my head off at anything over 70mph. I mainly bought it for use in my car, and its a good 5 years old now.

So what helmets would people recommend? I know nothing beats going and trying them for fit, but I would like to narrow it down to a few if possible.

I quite like the look of the AGV Stealth SV helmets. Anyone know what they are like with regards wind noise/aerodynamics?

My only stipulations - need to have a built in sun visor as my run to work and back is always into the sun.

Budget is up to £300.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

dhutch

posted on 23/9/10 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Also intersted in this.
jamiepearson69

posted on 23/9/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a V2 Sport, seems really good and comfortable. Good value and has duck bill, so helps with the wind.

Have a look at http://www.v2sport.com/

They are acredited for track days too.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 23/9/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Well, i've got two lids, one for racing, and one for my bike.

The bike lid is a X-Lite 801RR. Thoroughly reccomended, very light, very quiet. Used by a lot of bike racers so i trust it. Very comfy. linky

The racing lid is awesome, but probably overkill for the road. l inky awesome in everyway though.

Best advice i can give - whatever it is make sure it fits well. nice and snug, allowing no movement of your head inside it.

You only get one head. look after it

phelpsa

posted on 23/9/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Is it for use on a motorbike or motorsports?

For motorsports both my dad and I these:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p5660/SPARCO-FORMULA-HELMET/product_info.html

excellent value for money, we tried other £3-400 helmets and nothing could come close for quality, fit or comfort.

EDIT: Posted at the same time recommending the same helmet, it must be good

[Edited on 23-9-10 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 23/9/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, yes its for bike use.

Sera

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 23/9/10 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Flak - come and buy my VFR and you can try on my helmet....

[Edited on 23/9/10 by Norfolkluegojnr]

r1_pete

posted on 23/9/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've worn Arai helmets for as long as I can remember, had a couple of unplanned get offs and never had any head problems, even after breaking a windscreen and hitting the ashphalt head first - resulted in a GSXR1000 BEC donor.

Don't forget the rest of the kit too, you need knee, hip, back, shoulder, elbow armour, CE approved. Flesh wears away very quicly sliding down the road.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 23/9/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
AGV are very well made helmets for the price, and score highly on the SHARP tests; higher than the more expensive Arais in many cases. However, they are not generally quiet helmets; I have an AGV S4, and really need ear plugs for any higher speed/long distance biking. I find it an exceptionally comfortable helmet apart from that though.

As always the fit the of the helmet is more important than anything else, including brand - the most expensive helmet in the world won't provide much protection if you head is rattling around inside it. Since different manufacturers tend to have different shaped internals on the their helmets, you'll find some brands fit much better than others, and the only real way to find out which suits you is to try them on.

Also note that the padding tends to give a bit after a bit of use, so "slightly tight" is better than "just right" with a new helmet.

As well as AGV make sure you try some Shark helmets for fit; this is another brand that produces quality helmets at reasonable prices and get good reviews (and good SHARP scores). Arai certainly make some very good lids, but you are paying a lot of money for the badge IMO.

If you not yet discovered it Web Bike World is a great collection of user reviews for bike kit, and include a lot of detail on Helmets including head shape.

[Edited on 23/9/10 by MikeRJ]

flak monkey

posted on 23/9/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the recommendations so far

I'll go and try on some different helmets over the weekend, or maybe even tonight...

I have textile gear as its properly waterproof. Its all CE armoured, though I still need to get a back protector for my jacket.

I'll also be investing in a leather jacket and trousers at some point.

Sera

robocog

posted on 23/9/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Best helmet is one that fits properly

No point in getting an expensive one that is Uber lightweight / blingy / scores highly on the sharp tests if it doesn't fit your uniquely shaped head or is uncomfortable

Everyones heads are different so you'll get different answers to what fits them the best

Only one way to do it "properly" and that is to try them out and try not to be swayed by design, cost , weight or bling
Fit and comfort first, which means wearing it for more than 30 seconds to be sure

Luckily my head fitted quite nicely in the Nitro cheapies and will be replacing it with another shortly :-)
(Helmet ...not head!)

(Noticed a lot of the locals round here wearing flourescent helmets and I'm hoping they are made by Nitro!)

I got one of the Lidl flip faced jobbies with the flip down sunvisor...
Helmet fits OK (I panic bought so didn't spend long enough with it on in the shop)
It's a little bit noisier than the full faced Nitro, but then I think most flippers would be

Regards
Rob

[Edited on 23/9/10 by robocog]

[Edited on 23/9/10 by robocog]

speed8

posted on 23/9/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
You need to go and try them.

I use Shoei. For me they are comfortable and fairly quiet. Changing the visor for clear/dark takes a few seconds and the pinlock anti mist is great.

A smaller reason is that there's no point me trying on AGV or Arai as I just don't fit in them properly and they hurt after 5 mins.

MikeRJ

posted on 23/9/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Pinlock is a good point, make sure that whatever you buy has the fittings for a pinlock anti-fog insert as they work brilliantly.
flak monkey

posted on 23/9/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just got a Caberg V2X carbon.

Tried on a whole load of different lids, including virtually the whole range of Shark helmets, all of which were a bit too padded around the cheeks for me but very comfortable.

And a load of Shoeis, which were not as comfy as the Sharks and the fit wasnt as good on me.

The Caber fits perfectly and nice and comfy. Nicely padded. Will see what its like tomorrow.

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.