Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dusty garage floor! Seal it?
leemarkadams

posted on 25/9/10 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
Dusty garage floor! Seal it?

Hello all, now I hve been reading about it a fair bit but my garage floor is very dusty, and when brushing it it brings up more dust from the concrete itself. So, is sealing it the way ahead, and what selant do people recommend (locost solution if possible please), as tiles would be too expensive for the size of the garage, although are an option at a later stage.

Thanks

Lee

sorens2

posted on 25/9/10 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Paint it with Epoxy.
I tried waterbased and it sucks now 4 years after.

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FASTdan

posted on 25/9/10 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
PVA bonding? Seals well but i dont know about durability. I did ours with water based and its a mess now too lol.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jossey

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
how about this.

i have used that red paint for the garage floor but i didnt clean it as well as i shoudl have.

i would firstly clean up soooooooo much and make sure there is no dust........

dave j

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LBMEFM

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
PVA will seal in the dust 1 part 10 parts water. Locost and effective
myke pocock

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Dont think the giant chess board tiles would be very Locost though! Try ebay for some concrete and tile paint.
adithorp

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Concrete floor paint? Thin the first coat down and it'll soak in. Second coat once it's dried. Thin the second coat as well but only a bit will give best result.
It's not as durable as epoxy coatings but it's closer to locost. We renew about every 2 years on average (top coat only) and thats with a commercial workshop. Should last you longer than that.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Guinness

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I bought these, Foam Tiles from this lot. Did about 5m x 3m of the yard. It's soft and cheap enough to chuck if it gets ruined.

balidey

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Garage floor paint is what I used, and I was given a 3/4 full tin for free, so that was locost
But I would say proper floor or concrete paint is the best way.
Also white wash the walls, that keeps dust down too and really brightens up the garage. I mean brightens up in a useful adding light way, not gives it a happier feel

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

BenB

posted on 25/9/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I used a tub of screwfix concrete floor paint. Cheap and works well. Stinks to high heaven until all the vapours have gone and probably kills quite a few polar bears due to ice caps melting but works....
steve m

posted on 25/9/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I bought this from ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Light-Grey-HEAVY-DUTY-Garage-Floor-Paint-10-litres-/260638793077?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item3caf485d75 />
10ltrs for £ 20 delivered is a very good price

I only used about 3ltrs and that was with two heavy coats, but it did take about a week to go off, and that was in July

Steve

monkeyarms

posted on 25/9/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
linky - Epoxy garage floor paint

i used this and its very good

interestedparty

posted on 25/9/10 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Best garage floor covering I ever had was made up of 8x2 t&g sheets of moisture resistant mdf laid over a sheep of dpm. Made a huge difference to the warmth and dryness of the garage, and it was easy to slide engines and stuff around on it. I bought it from Wickes, something like £5.50 a sheet. Using that you get a lot of insulation value as well as no dust.

Only trouble was the 18mm high edge at the door of the garage, though as I wasn't wheeling stuff in and out all the time didn't really matter.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Fred W B

posted on 25/9/10 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Only trouble was the 18mm high edge at the door of the garage

I did the same as above in a previous single garage, to solve that problem to an extent I had a long piece of wood machined to a tapered (18 x 50) ramp and bolted it to the floor.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

nemesis v12

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
i used a old carpet froma freinds hows it was in good condition and there is no more dust. its cumfy to lie on and any messy jobs get done outside any way.

so ask every body if they are getting new carpets fitted or ask a carpet fitter if you can have the old stuiff he takes up. that will save him a trip to the tip as well.

to old to die young

leemarkadams

posted on 26/9/10 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, can anyone confirm if I should seal the floor then paint it, or just paint it (after it has been swept etc)?

Thanks

Lee

Peteff

posted on 26/9/10 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I did mine with PVA diluted before I painted it and it is lasting well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Andybarbet

posted on 26/9/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I jetwashed my integral garage when we moved in, gave it a couple of days to dry out fully & then painted the floor with screwfix non slip floor paint, its still like new 3 years down the line. It only cost £20 for two tins.

If i did it again though, i wouldnt go for the non slip stuff because its like sandpaper ! Still, ive never slipped over on it

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Krismc

posted on 26/9/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
First new build garage i used - Machine mart £6.99 epoxy floor paint in grey, then covered it with grey squiggy floor tiles and it was brill, although if oil got below the floor tiles near exit they slipped so.

This time i used JTF £2.99 epoxy in blue it covered the whole floor and i blew some silver sand into it to stop the grey tiles slipping when oil gets between the two. its totally none slip and very water proof.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

leemarkadams

posted on 15/10/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Can anyone confirm of you have to seal the floor first before using 2 part epoxy paint? Only getting conflicting advice through google!

Lee

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.