Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making Aluminium Air Scoops using just hand tools
2cv

posted on 25/9/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Making Aluminium Air Scoops using just hand tools

Requests for suppliers of air scoops seem to come up regularly on this Forum and it's true that such things can be purchased in fibreglass but it always seems to me to be a shame when someone has gone to a lot of trouble to form an aluminium bonnet that they have to resort to fibreglass for the air scoop.

There has been some interest in the previous threads covering the bending of square steel tube and forming a power bulge with just the tools that most people have available. At the risk of boring you we could look at making other components.

Both a forward facing air scoop to get air in and the reverse scoop or flutes can easily be made by any one of us. As with the power bulge, nothing special is needed other that a desire to succeed.

The flutes in the attached picture were made by hand forming alone apart from turning the flange which was done with nothing more than pliers with the teeth taken off.

If you haven't fallen asleep from boredom by and now and anyone is interested, I can do some stage by stage pictures showing how on both the flutes and a forward facing scoop.
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 25/9/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
of course the answer is we're interested - do stage by stage photos!!!!
jlparsons

posted on 25/9/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
yup, keen to see!

Also, can you make a suit of armor please?

2cv

posted on 25/9/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, I'll see what I can do although I'll need your inside leg Mr Parsons for the suit of armour

Actually I'm off on a pensioners holiday during next week but I'll do my best to post some pics before then.

Dale

posted on 25/9/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like that especially since I have been thinking of duing a series of something just like that between my bonnet and the full front fenders that could hide mounting brackets as well as net some engine heat out.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

2cv

posted on 26/9/10 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Here are a couple of pictures showing how these ventillation flutes look on Dellows. The ones I've made are exact copies although I've only used two rather than the three on the Dellow.

Image deleted by owner
[img]Image deleted by owner[/img]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.