Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike calipers
Zoophoria

posted on 9/6/04 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bike calipers

Is it possible to split bike calipers into two halfs? I was thinking about using calipers from a bike and split them and make a an aluminum distance to make them wider to accept discs from a car.
timcrasher

posted on 9/6/04 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Most modern bike calipers slip in half to enable them to be resealed/rebuilt etc. They need this often as the seal design allows for dirt ingress if they are not rigorously maintained.
I wouldn't bother using them if I were you. Use some aftermarket billet calipers such as hi-spec or willwood if you want top brakes on your car as a set of seals alone can cost nearly £ 100

Zoophoria

posted on 9/6/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Whooho.. thats kind of expensive.. Well I got to think about it cause my dad is a bike mechanic so he might be able to get me a used couple quite cheap.
James

posted on 10/6/04 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Bike callipers was something I was considering as a lightweight alternative- Rorty has talked about using them- he has custom discs laser cut for him.

If Tim's right about the cost of maintenance maybe I won't look any further though!

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.