Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I think I've finished
martyn_16v

posted on 26/9/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think I've finished

...which is a very odd feeling

Actually that's a complete lie. I don't think builds are ever finished, I'm just at the stage where I think i'm ready for IVA, after which I imagine I'll be taking half of the car apart again just for a laugh.

Anyway, can you kind people have a look at the pictures here and point out all of the things I've missed please?

Paul (Notts)

posted on 26/9/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good...

check the height of the rear fog light ,

some people have had problems with the side repeaters and visibility.

good luck with the IVA

Paul

jack_t

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
looks good agreed make sure fog light is totally vertical and heatshrink is not deemed a perminant fix for top ball joint and track rod ends u need morris minor covers for the top ball joint and electrical glands for the track rod ends

Stott

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jack_t
u need morris minor covers for the top ball joint

Where do you get them from?

gavin174

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
again angle of visibility on side repeaters..

seat belt top mounts-if the seat belt contacts the seat when pulled in a straight line then the seat becomes structual.. not a very clear explanation i am someone can to do it better

the other thing is the fuel filler... does it need to be covered as remember something about not being allowed to be able to spill fuel into passenger compartment

[Edited on 26/9/10 by gavin174]

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

iank

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Does the digidash have the mods that make sure speed is shown in all modes, and the light shines through the brake warning light symbol?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

franky

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the area inside the wheel to the chassis is now not being tested?
RichN

posted on 26/9/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good. I am in a similar position with my Riot. I am taking it out on a track tomorrow to give it a test run and bed in the brakes. It's a weird feeling when there's nothing else to do (well before IVA anyway).
martyn_16v

posted on 26/9/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Fog/reverse lights are high enough, I gave myself a good 20mm to spare there. The side repeaters should be fine, I have already moved them once to take into account the troubles other people have had recently.

Digidash has been 'done' (firmware updated and sticker over the brake warning light).

The belts don't rest on the seats when they are level, the bottom of the hole is below the level of the mounts. With me sitting in it, the belts angle upwards slightly, and are still clear of the top of the hole. Unless the tester is a midget I think I should be OK, in fact I'd be unhappy if it wasn't as they're MK seats with MK supplied runners in an MK car...

I think the fuel cap should be fine, manual says the tank shouldn't be able to leak into the passenger compartment, but doesn't seem to say anything about accounting for messy people other than not being able to spill onto the exhaust.

Is the heatshrink thing one of those that's different depending on the opinion of the tester? CBS are still selling heatshrink as IVA track rod covers, and self-adhesive heatshrink IS permanent, I've got to destroy it to get it off.

There is now an exclusion zone for anything in the area bounded by the front wishbones, but you still need to make sure the outside face of the suspension is passable.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming, it'll give me something to do while I'm waiting for a date

[Edited on 26/9/10 by martyn_16v]

40inches

posted on 26/9/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
Is the heatshrink thing one of those that's different depending on the opinion of the tester? CBS are still selling heatshrink as IVA track rod covers, and self-adhesive heatshrink IS permanent, I've got to destroy it to get it off.
[Edited on 26/9/10 by martyn_16v]

That is the problem people have had,all coverings are supposed to be as OEM ie: if a part is serviceable any cover must be re-usable and not have to be destroyed to service the item

bob

posted on 26/9/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Martyn

The only part i can see where they were really picky on my SVA is the rear view mirrors,they wanted more vision area over the rear arch. It does look a bit tight on the scuttle on yours but it may well just be the picture, i ended up flipping my mirrors to get another 1/2 inch view over the arch.

That said the build looks neat and smooth which they like,good luck with the IVA.

When and where is your test ?

martyn_16v

posted on 26/9/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I am slightly worried about the mirrors, if only because I'm used to mahoosive mirrors on my van and these are teeny. I can see the floor reasonably close behind the car, hopefully it will be OK. They're already upside down, if I mount them the 'right' way up they stick up vertically like rabbit ears

I've asked for Yeading on 11th Oct. VOSA Swansea have called to take my money, just waiting for the station to confirm a date now.

bob

posted on 26/9/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yup my mirrors did stick up like rabbit ears, i swapped them back over once i had the MAC in my hand

If you get the 11th Oct and want a bit of moral support i will be off shift that day,Yeading is not far for me and i've seen a few SVA's there so would be nice to see the difference with IVA.

interestedparty

posted on 26/9/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
If those black dots on the side of the scuttle are the repeaters, then that's a fail.
He's going to want to be able to see them from the height that the repeaters themselves are, from 5 degrees off the centreline of the car, which means the rear wheel arches will block the view. You need to move them to the front wwings to be sure.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

David_17

posted on 26/9/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
What year's the engine? Noticed the lambda, so you must be running injection, but what are the emissions like with no cat fitted?
martyn_16v

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
The black dots are blanking plugs where the repeaters used to be, repeaters are on the cycle wings.

It's a 93 engine so non cat emissions. I should be able to tweak it through emissions fairly easily if it isn't already there, all I can aim for without a tester is lambda=1. It's the noise that's more likely to give a problem, it isn't quiet.

stevegough

posted on 27/9/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
If those black dots on the side of the scuttle are the repeaters, then that's a fail.
He's going to want to be able to see them from the height that the repeaters themselves are, from 5 degrees off the centreline of the car, which means the rear wheel arches will block the view. You need to move them to the front wwings to be sure.

The front wings can be a bad idea, too as they turn. I have put mine (as have a few others) on the front of the rear wing - as long as they are within 2.6metres of the front of the car and above 350mm from the ground they are compliant.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.