Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road Bike Headset Bearings - 'gritty'
donny

posted on 29/9/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Road Bike Headset Bearings - 'gritty'

Hi all,
can't find an answer to this in the forum hence the new post. I've been on cycling forums and got mixed information. I know that there are a few cyclists here.

Basically I have an Orbea roadbike (new in May). I took a spacer out last week and after a day noticed that the steering was perfectly smooth. After reading on how I should have re-installed the handlebars I reckon that the headset was not properly sealed and I have either got stuff into the bearings or the grease has come out.

Here is my question - I think that the bearings are the cartridge type. Is is possible / sensible to clean and repack these with grease or should they just be replaced? Bike forum answers range from 'its fine' to Nooooooooooo it's incredibly dangerous. Halfords chap said it was no problem and talked me through it.

Answers gratefully received!

Thanks,
Donny.

3GEComponents

posted on 29/9/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
When you say "reinstalled" have you checked that you've not overloaded the aheadset bearings, this would give a notchy feel to the steering, check this first.

Cartridge bearing are designed to be "disposable", however, you might be able to flush most of the dirt out with a can of GT85.

Kind regards

John

MikeRJ

posted on 29/9/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Which spacer did you remove? If it's the one that sits between the upper and lower bearings and you have tightened everything up without this spacer than you have probably destroyed the bearings.

It's not "incredibly dangerous" to clean a bearing at all, but it is difficult to make a good job of it if they are sealed or shielded. Sometimes it's possible to remove the seal/shield and refit it after washing and re-greasing the bearing, but it's fiddly and there is a good chance of damaging the seal.

donny

posted on 29/9/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
It was the top spacer - I had two fitted because it was my first road bike for a long time. I'll just be stripping the headset and checking the bearings for now before I attempt anything else. Thanks for the replies and advice.

Donny

adithorp

posted on 29/9/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Chances are you've over tightened the bearings. I wouldn't bother trying to clean then out. It's rarelly succesfull for long. I'd fit a new set. Be carefull not to loose any spacer washers (plastic usually) between the race and steerer tube. It's a common misstake.
Don't try any of the torque setting or tighten up then slack off X degrees type instructions. They usually end up too tight.
Slacken off the stem clamp so the bars (just) rotate on the steerer, tighten the top bolt slowly checking for headset play by putting the front brake on and rocking the bike, then lock up the stem bolts when it just disapears, then nip up the top bolt.
The headset bearings have a hard life. Not a lot of movement so always resting on the same bit of bearing, contant vibration and shock, lots of leverage applied due to the length of the fork and short distance between top and bottom race, lots of grit and water thrown at them. As a result they can wear quick if not perfectly set up.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

adithorp

posted on 29/9/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
If it is just a gritty feeling then it could just be grit between the frame and fork faces. There's not a big gap. Try stripping it and just wipe everything down.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.