Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I think im being dumb (air compressor question)
tomgregory2000

posted on 12/10/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I think im being dumb (air compressor question)

Im looking at getting myself an air compressor, nothing to expensive to start off with, prob second hand with a 50L tank but not a big motor or big displacement pump.

now if i end up with a compressor unit with only a 1hp motor but with a 50L tank and want to run air tools that require more air than the pump can deliver,

i guess what i do is let the pump build up the pressure in the tank and then use the tool with the air in the tank and then when the air has gone i would have to let the air pressure build up again before i can use the tools again.

Is my thinking correct?

And i just guess that doing it that way it will just take longer to do jobs.

Many thanks
Tommy

dave r

posted on 12/10/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
you are better off with a smaller tank, and a larger compressor
it wont run as long for the same job...
i find the noise of my compressor very annoying, so the less it runs the better

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

StrikerChris

posted on 12/10/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
You'll be surprised and frustrated how quickly the air runs out!try to stretch as far as you can for the pump.
(no hijacking intended but what engine oil do you use in the Nissan motor)
chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Theshed

posted on 12/10/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not dumb at all. Some small compressors can only manage 100psi which is less air in the reservoir - the bigger the reservoir and the higher the pressure then the longer you can work without the motor kicking in.

I would buy one and buy the biggest you can afford. Direct drive compressors are really noisy compared to belt drive. After a while the noise will drive you (and your neighbors) mad.

vyperstrype

posted on 12/10/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
That's correct. I've got a 40 litre compressor, but added an additional reservoir of about 15 litres. It's alright for doing most jobs using air tools on the car. Stuff like air ratchets use loads of air, so sometimes you've just got to wait for the pressure to build up

Cheers Eric.

Where there's a will, there's a death!!

tomgregory2000

posted on 12/10/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know what oil im running in my engine yet as it still has the same oil that came in it (it came from a tricked out 200sx s13 that was used for drifting so its gots some good stuff in there)as it had only done 2000miles before the engine was removed and ive only done about 250miles.
When i do replace the oil i will go over to the sxoc forum as there is a list of which oil to use.

the compressor ive found is one of the 'silent' ones (edit: the type with the 2 motors sat on top of the tank) that is about 40db so not too noisy and not that expensive, i dont know how much i am going to be using air tools so dont want to spend to much yet

please keep the comments coming

tommy

edit again: this one goes upto 8 bar

[Edited on 12/10/10 by tomgregory2000]

[Edited on 12/10/10 by tomgregory2000]

designer

posted on 12/10/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I don't like the noise compressors make, and the space they take up.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trikerneil

posted on 13/10/10 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a 3HP V twin compressor and it only just keeps up with my die grinder.

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

caber

posted on 13/10/10 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree that a 3HP with a big tank is the best solution for car building. I have a small 2HP compressor and a 1.5 HP belt drive with a huge tank (it is an antique!) neither can keep up with an air drill or die grinder and even air shears that a re a complete boon for cutting ally sheet get the 2 HP running after less than a minute. When you get to spray painting again a consistent air delivery is vital, if you want to use an air fed mask these also require tons of air. I have my 2hp for the mask and the 1.5 hp for the gun and cannot run very long before the pressures drop below spray pressure, that is annoying if you are trying to cover a big panel or a big area.

There was a good review in one of the Practical Classics some months ago looking at 3hp 50 litre compressors. I can't remember which was top but i think it was around £270 which would be money well spent. If I had the chance I would in retrospect have bought one at the beginning!

Caber

RickRick

posted on 13/10/10 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
I also can't be doing with the noise, so i built a little shed/hut thing just outside the garage for the noisey beast to live in
MikeRJ

posted on 13/10/10 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Personally I don't like the noise compressors make, and the space they take up.

I don't suppose many people actually enjoy the noise and space issues, but the advantages of having a compressor and air tools far outweigh these snags.

dhutch

posted on 13/10/10 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
[quoteI don't suppose many people actually enjoy the noise and space issues, but the advantages of having a compressor and air tools far outweigh these snags.

Thats it isnt it really.
- Ive just bought an air needle scaler, which im not expecting to be quiet!

SXOC is deffo the place for info on the nissan motor. Coursemates big into 200SX's and is on there all the time.

Daniel

Strontium Dog

posted on 13/10/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
A compressor is one of the first things to have in a workshop. Often worth having a small one for constant air and then a bigger one for when you need the CFM to run tools and blast cabs etc. I have a blow gun on my mill and one by the lathe all the time, (just don't aim it at the slide ways!). You won't know how you got by without one!
NS Dev

posted on 15/10/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
get the biggest you can afford.

when i was hobbying at home i used a 3 hp single phase belt drive compressor, when i set up doing it for a living i bought a 500 quid 10hp hydrovane. I have now sold the 3hp and 10hp and bought a 7.5hp piston compressor brand new as its business critical and i wanted something 100% reliable

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.