Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Car winter storage tips...
jono2020

posted on 25/10/10 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Car winter storage tips...

I am just about to SORN my car for the winter this weekend and just wanted some tips for making sure the car is fine again when I come to getting it back on the road in the Spring... I know about flat spots on tires so I may either let the pressure down in my tires (or increase pressure... cant remember...) or put them on axle stands. Shall I leave the petrol tank empty or fill it to stop internal corrosion... Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.
RichieHall

posted on 26/10/10 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
I would put her up on axle stands to take any loads off the tyres, as for fluids I'm sure they put some kind of corrosion inhibitors in fuel and the like + being brimmed there's less likelihood of condensation forming in the tank?

Avtur suffers from a mould spore growing if its left for too long if its not had the inhibitor added but I'm not sure if petrol suffers too?

Rust is lighter than Carbon Fibre!

Canada EH!

posted on 26/10/10 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
Just finished winterizing my boat engine, Chev 6.
Warm the engine, change oil and filter, check condition of antifreeze, it contains anti-corrosion chemical, so keep it fresh.
Fill the gas tank to the top, and add fuel stabilizer, then let the engine run till warm, spray engine storage spray into the carbs till it stalls at idle.
Put oily rags in the exhaust pipe and block the carbs (this keeps air from entering and exiting the combustion chambers).
Here in Canada were cars and boats are laid up for 6 months of the year this is the normal procedure.

designer

posted on 26/10/10 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
BASIC RULES:
- A 50/50 solution of antifreeze/water will prevent the coolant from freezing.
- A full tank of petrol reduces the amount of water that can be absorbed by the petrol.
- An oil change reduces bearing etching caused by dirty, acidic, contaminated oil.
- Topped off master cylinders reduce water contamination in the hydraulic lines.
- Convertables should be stored with the top up and windows and vents closed as a folded hood can develop creases
- Discharge an entire can of WD-40, or similar, over all the engine components and the wheels.
- A large piece of plastic on the floor protects the underside from moisture rising up through concrete
- Finally, take the car on the last run to evaporate all the moisture in the exhaust and engine.
- Buy a solar charger from Maplins (£10) to keep the battery topped up.
- Always keep a theft/damage/vandalism/fire insurance policy.
- Start the engine at regular intervals and allow it to warm up and drive it fore and aft even a couple of feet every so often!
- If you jack the car up place the stands under the outer of the suspension, reduce tire pressure to 10-15 lbs. and spin wheels now and again
- Store with the handbrake off, and work the handle up and down regularly to keep the cable and linkages free
- A breathable car cover will keep dust off

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 26/10/10 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends where its being stored.

If its in a sealed draught free garage adjoined to the warm house, then i wouldnt bother. Maybe put it on axle stands but thats about it.

If its outside or in a draighty garage, then all of what CanadaEH said, plus draining the tank and leaving it open to air, but protected from water ingress. I think i might even spray WD40 or PTFE spray over the brakes and bare metal parts to prevent them rusting. You will need to remember to clean this off obviously!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

jossey

posted on 26/10/10 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Storage

get one of them drive in bag things. you just drive into them and suck out most of the air. do it when its dry outside though so you dont get damp in it.

anyway good luck with your storage.

ive got mine in a garage which has vents in which i have blocked up and im covering it with a large large blanket.

and i will wd40 all my metals.

dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pekwah1

posted on 26/10/10 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
agree with taking the wheels off, what tyres are they? if they're anything similar to 888s then they will be more susceptible of cracking in the cold so let the pressure down about halfway, probably similarly a good idea for regular tyres as well
matt_gsxr

posted on 26/10/10 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
I think i might even spray WD40 or PTFE spray over the brakes ...

Sounds like spring will be interesting for you when you forget to clean this off. A bit of surface rust on the disks is probably the safest and will come off in seconds of the first brake application.

I don't understand the chemistry of pad contamination, but if I wanted to do it I would probably try WD40 or PTFE first.

Matt

nick205

posted on 26/10/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Check antifreeze and leave on axle stands to protect the tyres then just get it out once a month and fire it up for a bit to keep everything working. Battery on a trickle charger if you have one, but unless it's already iffy it should be fine.

Come spring a general service to replace fluids and filters then back on the road.

Dusty

posted on 26/10/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Buy tax disc.
Run the engine up to temperature on sunny dry days by driving it for at least two hours. This may be longer if you get a good weekend. As I discovered my car still works when it's dark I sometimes run the engine up to temperature of an evening during the week. You should wrap up warm when doing this.
This procedure keeps things like wheel bearings, handbrake linkages and clutch from seizing. The regular refilling and burning off old petrol keeps the tank fresh. The battery seems to stay charged by itself. I know this is unconventional but it seems to work for me.

chrisxr2

posted on 26/10/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Im with dusty

Im with dusty, rahter risk getting a bit nippy in the winter then getting a crisp dry winters day and not being able to take the beast out.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

macc man

posted on 26/10/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you are going away for a while I would just run the engine once a week and if possible take out for a drive. The saving in tax is not that much why not get some use out of it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.