Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dropping an engine in a Viento
Irony

posted on 29/10/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
dropping an engine in a Viento

I am getting near the stage where I can drop the engine into the Viento. As you fellows know it's a Rover V8 LT77 with Granada 7.5in LSD Diff.

I am about to lift the engine off it's stand and attach the gearbox and clutch section. I have built a Timber engine stand to stand the engine on for the time being.

Has anyone got any tips for lifting the engine into the car? The car itself is up on tresles at the moment and make have to come off due to there not being enough headroom in the garage to lift the engine over the radiator.

Would it be best for me have the car on a angle? I.e the front higher or something, at the moment I have no idea how the engine will balance hung from the engine crane until I actually hang it.

Also people have said I will have to trim the gearbox baseplate to allow the engine and box slightly further back. Is this what everyone found?

Any tips or advice is welcome.

Cheers

JeffHs

posted on 29/10/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I don't suppose you can lift the chassis over the engine? Probably your V8 is too wide to fit through the chassis, but that's how I did my pinto.
Cue jokes about the weight of pintos but I found that the chassis without wishbones when resting on rear wheels was a lot lighter than the engine and gearbox.

balidey

posted on 29/10/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'll get Mark (paradoxia0) to drop in and offer some advice, I think he had his RV8 in and out about 72 times... or was it 73 ?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

jollygreengiant

posted on 29/10/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
With the gearbox mounting plate under the transmision tunnel, I would suggest that you put the chassis up on axle stands and level.

The axle stands would allow you easier access under-neath and the cahssis being level would mean that you would not need to tilt the gearbox upwards excessivly to get it into the tunnel.

I do not know the true answer for this as my Viento has a measly little pinto in it, but, the above is how I would have gone about it with a V8 if that had been my engine. I am sure that there will be someone along soon who has fitted the V8 for a difinitve answer.

Hope this helps.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Snuggs

posted on 29/10/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I may be easier to just fit the gearbox to start with as it is a tight fit and will need to be in and out a few times.

When you are happy with the gearbox position then the engine can be bolted to the gearbox in situ.

I would test connect the box to the engine first to test the clutch is aligned correctly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

franky

posted on 29/10/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
do you want to borrow my crane? just get it tight tothe engine.
rusty nuts

posted on 29/10/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Fit the prop before fitting the engine and box . It's a lot easier
stevegough

posted on 30/10/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Has anyone got any tips for lifting the engine into the car? The car itself is up on tresles at the moment and make have to come off due to there not being enough headroom in the garage to lift the engine over the radiator.

Any tips or advice is welcome.

Cheers

* Get as close to the weight as possible.
* Keep feet wide apart to improve stability.
* Bend from the hips and knees not from the waist, maintaining the natural curve of the lower back.
* Tighten the lower abdominal muscles drawing the navel in against the spine. This helps to support the spine.
* Don't lift and twist. Move the feet rather than twisting from the torso.
* Don't lift after sitting for extended periods, the ligaments of the back are stretched and vulnerable to injury.

HTH! Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Scotty

posted on 30/10/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
i fitted gearbox to engine
viento on its wheels
engine crane and drop to bugger in
(did take two of us to guide it in though)
simples!

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

BigFaceDave

posted on 30/10/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have got 2050mm from floor to roof joists and with my chassis on the floor my engine and gearbox (Cosworth YB and type 5 box) will both go in without having to worry about messing about with the strops just straping it up lifting and sloting in. I managed to do mine on my own by rolling the car out the garage lifting the engine and the slowly move teh car in and drop the engine a bit at a time, My engine is just over 600mm high if thats any help.
Paul (Notts)

posted on 30/10/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted mine on my own. If possible get some one to help...

pic

Description
Description

[Edited on 30/10/10 by Paul (Notts)]

Scotty

posted on 31/10/10 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
furry dice !!!! ................

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

Paul (Notts)

posted on 31/10/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
If you need an extra hand on a weekend just send a u2u

Paul

Irony

posted on 1/11/10 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Seems that the answer is just to get on with it. I need to fit the clutch yet so I am not quite ready.

Thanks for the offer paul but I think I can get some one who is a little closer.

DanP

posted on 1/11/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you get the clutch lined up right if you are going to put them in separately, i did it all in one go but mine was an absolute b*tch to line up out of the car, I ended up removing the bell housing and mating the gearbox and friction plate on the input shaft before tightening up the clutch cover, it just didn't want to line up.

The engine and gearbox should be able to go in together but you might wanna check the widest point of your gearbox extension will fit down the tunnel as I needed to modify the reverse detente to get it to fit in the tunnel.

Hth
Dan

wilkingj

posted on 1/11/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanP

The engine and gearbox should be able to go in together but you might wanna check the widest point of your gearbox extension will fit down the tunnel as I needed to modify the reverse detente to get it to fit in the tunnel.

Hth
Dan

This is why I cut a bit out the gearbox mounting plate. To be able to get the box another inch further back. Also to get the gear lever into the rear top panel of the tunnel. (Check my archive pics)

Its a real tight fit around the reverse detent and reversing switch area.
I would also do it without the tunnel side panels fitted.
Dont forget the holes in the side panels to get at the filler / level plug, and to be able to get at the speedo cable / sender fitting.
Its a lot easier before they are fitted to the tunnel!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DanP

posted on 1/11/10 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
...Dont forget the holes in the side panels to get at the filler / level plug.....

Arse!... Forgot that, that would've been a much better idea

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.