Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kitchen worktops
woodster

posted on 31/10/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Kitchen worktops

I'm currently fitting a new kitchen for mrs woodster the question is what worktops should I fit , I've only fitted the standard 40mm chipboard tops in the past .... The granite ones are to expensive ..... as anyone fitted cheaper ones that look like granite ... Are they easy to joint and edge ..... Any help would be gratefully received
3GEComponents

posted on 31/10/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
They've just made a concrete one on Manlab on BBC2

Kind regards

John

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 31/10/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Get the ones that have a wrap around bevel on the bottom edge...It helps keep the water out .. If you dont they split with in a few years...and you will be fitting them again

PSpirine

posted on 31/10/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could get solid oak ones...

They scratch, stain, need oiling and occasional sanding.

Much like kit or classic cars - wouldn't swap them for the world!

plentywahalla

posted on 31/10/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
There's always the Corian type which are known as 'solid surfaces' that is they are one piece cast material which looks like stone but is resin based.

Its not difficult to work using wood working tecniques. It is rather expensive but you can cheat by buying only 12mm thick sheets, and building up the edges by laminating several layers together. When it is glued the joints are virtually invisible.

There is a much cheaper brand called Velstone which is made in Ireland. It's not as good as Corian however as it cannot be polished to as high a gloss.

We use it on motor yachts, so do Fairline and Sunseeker.

tegwin

posted on 31/10/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Wickes/B&Q etc sell something called "earth stone" or "Maia"("maya" [or some other trade names]

Its a chipboard substrate with about a 5mm thick resin coating, it looks very similar to granite, joins seamlessly and can be repaired and scratches removed etc... It is very clever stuff.... None of that horrible laminate chipping off!!!!

Its not the cheapest, but its about half the price of granite...

Having said that, if you go to the right place and are willing to "take whats on offer" granite can be had for reasonable money, I got quoted £2000 inc vat and fitting for black stary type granite in a 4*2 meter kitchen with breakfast bar... didnt think that was too bad... Its the local gravestone people.. not a fancy kitchen fitter...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

loggyboy

posted on 31/10/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
we've fitted earth stone to a afew of our recent show homes, the darker colours show marks and scratches easy. They look nice but unless u wanna stretch to granite or another natural stone, id stick to laminate.
interestedparty

posted on 1/11/10 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
Having experienced all of the types mentioned so far, I would second the recommendation to go for either granite or laminate, and not one of the inbetween ones.

Granite can be done quite cheapely if you can find a way of using the readymade slabs which I believe you can buy from ebay.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

brookie

posted on 1/11/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
if u do use the laminate try to stay away from the gloss one thay show all the marks up m8
woodster

posted on 1/11/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
thank you for all the replies as always very helpful ... cheers guys
Liam

posted on 1/11/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for solid oak . Looks great and square edged so none of that cutting hockey-stick joins horrible malarky.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.