Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4x4 viento
bj928

posted on 31/10/10 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
4x4 viento

Has anyone built a 4x4 viento, may have sold viper engine, and while its gone from the bay i want to change a few things, decided as the chassis is only worth crap money i may as well do something with it, and the viper engine wasn't tunnable enough, i won't post what my idea is as far as engine goes, but lets just say the viper engine would have been a gutless wonder compared to the idea i have, but i will need 4 wheel drive to have any chance of a launch, i guess the tunnel will need changing a little to take the transfer box, front diff will be from an american mini van and front hubs will be from a 93> lincoln continental FWD v8. by using the continental front hubs i can use my discs and calipers, but these hubs take a drive shaft, just got to look how it will all go together, the gearbox will be a 4x4 converted t56 so i can use the prop i have already got.

[Edited on 31/10/10 by bj928]

NeilP

posted on 31/10/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea John but you are trully bonkers my friend

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

jollygreengiant

posted on 31/10/10 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
4X4 locosts have been built before, but not a Viento. Their could always be a first, the locosts have been built using Sierra 4X4 running gear I belive using the Sierra 4X4 box.
If you do a search on here I am sure you will find the relavant postings.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

ReMan

posted on 1/11/10 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Some people are just never satisfied!
Mr G

posted on 1/11/10 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
4x4 locosts

ewanspence
liam
purdy

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

bj928

posted on 1/11/10 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
done a search and it looks quite easy, will have to move the front shocks, i believe the info i know of puts the transfer box on the passenger side which will help, i'll use a viper t56 for the strength and ratios then use the relevent bellhousing to mount to my engine, the transfer box comes from a gmc cyclone
speedyxjs

posted on 1/11/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I thought i was mad! Im actually struggling to think of what you could put in there that would make the viper engine seem gutless!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

bi22le

posted on 1/11/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
A jet turbine?

Surely you cant get much more CC or cylinders in there. There carnt be enough space for an increase in either.

Good luck with the build. I wonder what BHP \ ton your thinking. 800??

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

coozer

posted on 1/11/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Theres plenty Dax 4x4 out there for reference...

I'm a bit puzzled to hear you think the Viper engine is gutless... have you bought a space shuttle engine by any chance?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jacko

posted on 1/11/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
This is a nice example of a 4x4 dax
Dax 4 wheel drive
Dax 4 wheel drive

Jacko
ps its not mine
Description
Description

You can see the gearbox drive in this photo

[Edited on 1/11/10 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bj928

posted on 2/11/10 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
i've been reseaching the ford modular engine for a few years now and i love the engine, HP wise i don't know yet, but the planned engine will be rated to 2500hp, but i will be looking at way less than that, and yes that is correct 2500hp, the engine will be bassicly the ford gt40 5.4 supercharged, but will be a built engine based on the gt engine, will rev to 8k+ and will have a kenne bell 4.2 supercharger, this is why i need 4x4, i'm looking for a power to weight of over 1000hp per tonne, the viper engine was going to give me around 650 hp per tonne, the engine is also lighter than a viper engine, and small, i was looking at fitting the engine in a sierra or something, but sod it, i will use the kit car,

here is a link to the engine builder and the short block i'm looking at is 2nd one up from the bottom.
http://www.modularmustangracing.com/prod_shortblocks.htm

[Edited on 2/11/10 by bj928]

bj928

posted on 4/11/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
been doing more research and it looks like i can get a matching front diff to go with the rear i'm running, giving me an 8.8 ford in both ends, the transfer case to be used will put the front prop on the passenger side which is very useful, the front diff goes off to one side but uses a arm to the the drivers side so it can run drive shafts of the same length, the front diff comes complete with drive shafts, diff, crown wheel and pinion for £300, a real bargin, would just need to fit an LSD to help with grip, may go the same LSD as the rear, but not sure if a full on lock up would work on the front other than straight line drag race launches
rickys2000

posted on 6/11/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I just wonder WHY?
bj928

posted on 7/11/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rickys2000
I just wonder WHY?

so its very fast, different and because its the challenge of doing it, and most of all, because i can!!!!

i don't want a bike engined or stock 4/6/8 cylinder power, i want something that will get noticed.

bj928

posted on 23/12/10 at 02:51 AM Reply With Quote
well i've started buying bits for the v8 build up, inlet and heads from a Ford GT supercar.

inlet to mount supercharger, will be modified to take the air out and through an intercooler rather than use the in plenum charge cooler thats crap, it also takes 2 injectors per cylinder.

and the heads

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.