Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BT Loud External 80d Telephone Bell Ringer ,anyone know how to fit one
thunderace

posted on 3/11/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
BT Loud External 80d Telephone Bell Ringer ,anyone know how to fit one

i need to fit a BT Loud External 80d Telephone Bell Ringer in my mates new workshop so we can hear the phone ,but it came with no instructions and bt wont come out and fit it for us ,it has two orange wires in the bell and no othere wires.(i was jusr going to get an exstention and hit all the wires off it till it rang but i dont want to nacker his phone line as its only just been fitted and hes just put out 5000 flyers for his new bodyshop.
splitrivet

posted on 3/11/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
If you take off the lower portion of the BT socket and turn it over you will find connections numbered 2 to 5, the 2 wires of the bell go to connections 3 and 5.
The connections are IDC so if you run phone cable from the bell to the socket take off the outer sheath of the cable lay the inner wire over the joint from the middle to the outside and push it into the joint with the back edge of a Stanley knife the connector cuts into the insulation and makes the joint.
Is the line going to carry Broadband though.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

thunderace

posted on 3/11/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
If you take off the lower portion of the BT socket and turn it over you will find connections numbered 2 to 5, the 2 wires of the bell go to connections 3 and 5.
The connections are IDC so if you run phone cable from the bell to the socket take off the outer sheath of the cable lay the inner wire over the joint from the middle to the outside and push it into the joint with the back edge of a Stanley knife the connector cuts into the insulation and makes the joint.
Is the line going to carry Broadband though.
Cheers,
Bob

i know we have bt broadband with the phone it was only just fitted.as hes just opened up his workshop body shop but with air tools runnung we cant hear the phone.

splitrivet

posted on 3/11/10 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got BB on that line you will need to fit a filter and fit the bell after the filter, otherwise it will affect the BB.

I can crimp a BT plug onto a short length of cable for you and you can make this off to the 80d if fitting a phone to the same point you will need a doubler so that the bell and phone can be used together.
Cheers,
Bob

boggybogstar

posted on 3/11/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
try it without the filter first, the filter is a splitter that seperates the voice and BB frequencies which are found on pins 2 & 5, using 3 & 5 should be ok.

theyres hundreds of houses out there with hardwired external bells that still have BB working ok

splitrivet

posted on 3/11/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggybogstar
try it without the filter first, the filter is a splitter that seperates the voice and BB frequencies which are found on pins 2 & 5, using 3 & 5 should be ok.

theyres hundreds of houses out there with hardwired external bells that still have BB working ok

Sorry take it from me It'll affect it. The only difference between 2 & 5 and 3 & 5 is that there is a 90 degree phase shift via a capacitor.
Cheers,
Bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.