Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Urgent - how do i get CV joint grease out of a carpet?
MikeR

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Urgent - how do i get CV joint grease out of a carpet?

Ok, I got carried away having a half hour tidying the garage yesterday and started to take apart a CV joint.

I've now managed to trample CV joint grease into the carpet in the hall, stairs, landing, office and little bedroom (in theory its probably in the lounge but as i deliberately got brown carpet before the g/f moved in we can't see it).

So - how do i get it out, especially important as some of the carpets have only been down for a couple of months.

(yes i'm in the dog house)

blakep82

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
it was your house before she moved in, therefore you can do what you want with it. if you're ok, with it, thats what matters
hth
good luck lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

russbost

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thinners will shift it, but might damage some types of carpet so be very careful - it will also be highly inflammable for some time afterwards, so once anything like clean would suggest a good scrub with detergent. A safer alternative would be to use a swarfega type grease dissolving detergent. Either way much scrubbing & wetness will be involved, having a wet vac handy would be good but don't use it on carpet with thinners on as it could eplode!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
AndyW

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
its your house, your rules, if you want black sploges on the carpet then you can! Other than that I very much doubt you will get anything to remove it completely......
r1_pete

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
If you find something let me know because I've been blamed for walking grease up a new beige stair carpet.

Actually I've got the majority out with swarfega, then water and an aqua vac, then re scotch guarded it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
when amy dropped the iron on the carpet we thought best oppion would be a new corner sofa lol

JAMSTER

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
try brake cleaner i have used it on car seats with grease on . not to sure on carpet
sonic

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hello all

Use TFR (Traffic film remover) i use it to valet seats in cars etc brings out stains a treat.
Pour a bit on neat and use a small nail brush to scrub it to foam and then use a damp cloth and rub it out.

Never had a problem with colours running but it maybe worth trying in a small piece in the corner first just to be 100% sure.

I have done dining room chairs and alsorts with it.

Wadders

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerite thinners (xylene thinners) should do the trick without damaging the carpet.
Only downside is it stinks.

Al.

dave r

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
my wife dont care about the grease, she just fails to see the relevance of getting delibertly brown carpet before your gf moved in ???????????

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

sonic

posted on 7/11/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
TFR smells nice!!
philw

posted on 7/11/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote

I tried for years, i had to buy some in the end

Must try harder

rusty nuts

posted on 7/11/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Brake cleaner works for me
pgtips

posted on 7/11/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the TFR solution.
I use something called Tar and Glue remover ( I think is the same thing ) and it shifts anything to do with that type of dirt.

P.S make sure you try some somewhere in a small patch on the carpet that you cant see it just in case!!!

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

StevieB

posted on 7/11/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same thing a few years ago and the solution we found was something totally unexpected.

Problem is neither my wife nor I can remember for our lives what it was.

Brake/Carb cleaner worked also - but test it on an unseen patch first though!

You can also get a 'litle white sponge' in Halfords that is supposed to work.

clairetoo

posted on 7/11/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philw

That made me laugh

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

JoelP

posted on 7/11/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:
Originally posted by philw

That made me laugh

you shouldnt be drinking on a sunday (but it made me laugh too )

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 7/11/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Swarfega will do it, it works on hands as well. Take your boots off next time, I have slip ons for going in the shed (riggers) so I don't go past the kitchen in them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mediabloke

posted on 7/11/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Swarfega will do it, it works on hands as well. Take your boots off next time, I have slip ons for going in the shed (riggers) so I don't go past the kitchen in them.

Or take a pair of slippers into the garage and don't come out without them on. Saved me from a few near-misses with the delightful cream carpet in my last house..! [whistles innocently]

SWMBO reckons some Vanish on a damp cloth - guess she should know, having bailed me out more times than I care to count. Swarfega sounds a sensible idea - anything that gets the stuff off your hands should get it off the carpet.

Although the orange soap that garages use might be better, if it's colourless: might also be less aggressive than thinners / Swarfega.

If we don't hear anything in a couple of days, we'll assume it hasn't worked and you're now living under the name of Fido...

Francis

jossey

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
brake cleaner is the best bet.

i had some oil from a oil change i did and my cat walked through the bucket and went inside the house.

i used brake cleaner i got from a local garage and it got it out with about 2 or 3 tries.

and my carpet is cream.

good luck

dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 8/11/10 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
brake [or carb] leaner is the best bet

Yeah, i would go for the same.
- Mechcanically remove what you can if theres much.
- Spray the central confined area and dab out what you can.
- Then just spray the rest into the root of the carpet.

Works on carpet (even cream) as well cloths and the like. Do it asap.

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 8/11/10 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
brake [or carb] leaner is the best bet

Yeah, i would go for the same.
- Mechcanically remove what you can if theres much.
- Spray the central confined area and dab out what you can.
- Then just spray the rest into the root of the carpet.

Works on carpet (even cream) as well cloths and the like. Do it asap.

Daniel

MikeR

posted on 8/11/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Got the carb cleaner, cleaner spray from Sainsburys and hand cleaner, tried them all on a spare bit of cream carpet (knew there was a reason i kept the carpet sample). Left it 5 minutes then washed off. All seemed fine.

Decided to be brave and use the carb cleaner - dissolved the grease as it hit it. Washed the carpet using warm water and washing up liquid. Moving out from the centre of the grease patch and it seems fine (apart from the smell in the house).

I'll let you know if it has any adverse affect in the next few days.

(done a test on the brown carpet and waiting to see if its fine. I got brown cause a) it actually looks nice & b) means in a few years there isn't an obvious grime patch where i sit on the lounge floor in my garage clothes like the last carpet.)

MikeR

posted on 8/11/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
update - don't use carb / injection cleaner in the house. G/f has got a migraine and gone to bed. Now banned from ever using it in the house again.

(didn't have the heart to tell her i've not finished cleaning the carpet - suspect i'll have to do it now when she's out for the day)

sonic

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Told you to use TFR it smells ace and you would have been in her good books
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.