Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: harness tightening?
blakep82

posted on 8/11/10 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
harness tightening?

made a thread about where to get harnesses, and going to go with Titon harnesses from prima motorsport, they'll make them to just about any configuration you want

how its it best to have them tighten up etc? pull up or pull down on the shoulder straps for example? and the same for the lap belts? does it really matter or a personal prefernce thing?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Stott

posted on 8/11/10 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
On mine I had to buy caterham specific harnesses as the lap belts pull from the buckle out rather than from the mounting in, as the tunnel sides are to tight to get access to adjust the normal type, so for that reason I'd reccomend lap belts that pull from the centre out. Depends on your installation though as always.

HTH
Stott

snapper

posted on 8/11/10 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Down for the shoulders, up for the lap.
Make sure the lap belt when fully pulled in is short enough not to be slack, a common problem with narrow cockpit and small seats.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nick205

posted on 8/11/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Pull down on the shoulders and up on the lap.

Seriously consider getting 5 point harnesses over 4 point ones. With 4 point harnesses, once you get the shoulder straps tight enough you'll find the lap section starts to pull up and not sit properly. Irratating, uncomfortable and opens the possibility of sub-marining uner the lap section in the event of a crash.

Also consider a method of holding down the excess shoulder straps as they have a tendency to whip you round th face even at moderate speeds. Maybe not an issue in the pick-up if you have a screen though.

blakep82

posted on 8/11/10 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
i'd asked them about starting with 4 points, and upgrading to 5 or 6 point later. they said thats not a problem, they can make a 4 point with a 5 or 6 point buckle, and i can order the extra straps later if needed. but you're right, i think its a good idea. the chassis needs a bit of modding to get 5 points in the passenger side, so i'd wait til its built first i think.
how would i fix them down? some sort of velcro strap round them perhaps? what have you done?

so pull down for shoulders, and up for laps? good stuff

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/11/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
My Willans harnesses have velcro to hold the strap ends down. Work ok.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

nick205

posted on 8/11/10 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
how would i fix them down? some sort of velcro strap round them perhaps? what have you done?

I used to tuck them back through the adjuster so they were trapped between my chest and the harness, but longer term some velcro fixings would be best bet

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Didnt you see that post a while back about the badly adjusted 5th strap and the photo of what it did to that guys nut sack?

I'll stick to the 4 point thanks

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Pull down on the shoulders and up on the lap.

Seriously consider getting 5 point harnesses over 4 point ones. With 4 point harnesses, once you get the shoulder straps tight enough you'll find the lap section starts to pull up and not sit properly. Irratating, uncomfortable and opens the possibility of sub-marining uner the lap section in the event of a crash.

Also consider a method of holding down the excess shoulder straps as they have a tendency to whip you round th face even at moderate speeds. Maybe not an issue in the pick-up if you have a screen though.

martyn_16v

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
velcro cable ties
blakep82

posted on 8/11/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Didnt you see that post a while back about the badly adjusted 5th strap and the photo of what it did to that guys nut sack?

I'll stick to the 4 point thanks

lol, yeah, i had some thoughts about what it might do to the old meat and 2 veg... erm, a photo?! lol not what i'd really want to see, but what did it actually do?!

radom

posted on 9/11/10 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I bought schroth 'westielf specific' 4point restraints only to discover they have pull down lap belts
learn from others mistakes
if I knew that before I'd bought 5point with pull up lap belts

beaver34

posted on 10/11/10 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
the titon ones are great, i have them in mine just having 6 point bottom section added to my 4 points i will be using pull up lap and down shoulder

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.