Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to drill / ream out a 3/4" hole?
Steve Lovelock

posted on 12/11/10 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
How to drill / ream out a 3/4" hole?

Slightly off topic this but I sense people on this site will know how to help me.

I am rebuilding a 1954 Austin Healey 100. In fact it is a lot like the last two kit cars I've built as I have a new chassis which has been made to the original dimensions and a load of panels that I am welding to it to create the inner bodywork of the car. In effect it'll be a new car, just like a kit. The biggest difference is that it is a lonely world; there is not a forum like this with hundreds of people all similar jobs, hence my problem.

The previous own of the car/kit had the chassis galvanised to prevent it rusting. However, they didn't fill the holes that shouldn't have been filled with zinc prior to the process. The pedals mount on to a bar which pivots, when the brake is pressed, in two tubes welded into the chassis. Now the metal on the inside of these tubes is steel so the contact is smoothed by grease which is pumped into the bar and out through some small holes and groves cut into the bar. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, the bar is 0.741 of an inch in diameter (or there abouts) so I figure the tubes need to be drilled / reamed to 3/4" to accept it. The question is how do I get a 'bit' that diameter to actually do it? I should say that the tubes are about 8cm long, I only have regular hand tools such as a drill with a 13mm chuck and that the job has to be done on the car as the tubes are already fixed in the chassis. Also, in true locost fashion I am not the bank of England so I could do with a low cost solution.

Thanks
Steve

LocostBuilders » Photos » Steve Lovelock » AH holes.JPG

s6otty

posted on 12/11/10 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
If I understand correctly, get a machinist to bore them/ream them on a lathe for you. Or send em to me and I'll do it for ya!

Scott.

t16turbotone

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I had a simlar problem once, what i did was to buy a flap wheel then i extended the flap wheel shaft and carefully reamed the bores till the bar fits

ABRASIVE FLAP WHEEL 20x20mm 120 GRIT BOX OF 10 GARRYSON on eBay (end time 17-Nov-10 16:33:27 GMT)3

Mal

posted on 12/11/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Buy or borrow a 3/4" or 19mm diameter reamer. A hand one with a square drive to fit onto a tap wrench is best, but a machine one with a morse taper will also do. Again turn it with a tap wrench attached to the tang on the end of the morse taper.
SPYDER

posted on 12/11/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by s6otty
If I understand correctly, get a machinist to bore them/ream them on a lathe for you. Or send em to me and I'll do it for ya!

Scott.

Crikey!! How big must your lathe be??

Steve...looking at the pic I would suggest using a Spiraband type abrasive wheel if you can't source a suitable reamer as suggested.
You will need to go in each tube from both ends unless you can find some long shank ones, so you'll need a right angle drill arrangement or maybe a flexible shaft thingumy.
I would help you out if I lived nearer.

Unless Scott's lathe is big enough to put a chassis on, of course!
Geoff.

djtom

posted on 12/11/10 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've probably got a 3/4 inch reamer going spare in my huge box of reamers - if I do you can have it for a fiver + p&p.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll have a dig through the garage tonight.

Tom

s6otty

posted on 12/11/10 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Haha, hmm, it was early when I read it, I assumed the tubes were loose lol!

I probably have a reamer, if no-one else can find one.

Scott

Steve Lovelock

posted on 12/11/10 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I'd very happily pay a £5 plus P&P for one if that is possible.

Steve

djtom

posted on 13/11/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I've found a spare one. See your U2U for payment details.

Cheers,
Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.