Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Exoskeleton Cars ?
Sonic7

posted on 20/11/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Exoskeleton Cars ?

With more and more of these cars coming on to the market, granted many in kit form and inspired by the Aerial Atom, I was wondering just what if any racing series/category they could be used in / would qualify for ?

Discuss/Advise please.

nigel

marcjagman

posted on 20/11/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
BEC maybe?
minitici

posted on 20/11/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
From the 2010 MSA “Blue Book”
(J) Competitors: Vehicles
All vehicles must:
Chassis/Body (including aerodynamics)
5.2.1. Be fitted with bodywork including a driver (and passenger) compartment isolated from the engine, wet batteries, gearbox, hydraulic reservoirs, transmission shafts, chains, belts and gears, brakes, road wheels, their operating linkages and attachments, petrol/fuel tanks, oil tanks, water header tanks and catch tanks fuel system components.

(B) Nomenclature and Definitions
Bodywork.
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream,
except the rollover structures and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes and radiators are considered to
be part of the bodywork. Exterior rear view mirrors are not considered to be part of the bodywork. Bodywork is differentiated as follows:
(a) Completely closed bodywork.
(b) Completely open bodywork
(c) Convertible bodywork with the hood in either supple or rigid (hardtop) material.

I know a Hillclimb single seater race car which ran as just a spaceframe being pulled up for not having bodywork as defined above.

An exo car may have to infill the spaces with panels, I'm sure I have seen Atoms with polycarbonate sides.

SPYDER

posted on 20/11/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that it should be possible to build one to RGB regs.
Probably won't be competitive though. IMHO.
Then there's the Kit Car Championship run by the 750 Motor Club IIRC. These are car engined.
Then there's Bikesports.
There are loads of opportunities. It depends on whether you want to be competitive or not.
Many championships are dominated either by one make or one "type" of car, the one that gets the most out of the regs.
I don't recall seeing an exo car at any race meet I've been to.
Doesn't mean it couldn't be done though.
But it's doubly difficult to be a pioneer. The usual approach would be to choose a proven design, tried and trusted, ready developed.
Why not visit all the protagonists websites and see if anyone is racing their design.

Geoff.

D Beddows

posted on 1/12/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
dunno..... all the 'exo' cars are looking a bit 'last year' already aren't they........ probably just me..... lol

indykid

posted on 1/12/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
probably just me..... lol

nope, me too

there looks to be some questionable spaceframe design practice in a lot of them, certainly not racer material

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.