New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover v8 - 260bhp
Scotty

posted on 22/11/10 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Rover v8 - 260bhp

hi
am now very close to spending money on upgrading my rv8

i seem to have two main options, either mild mods to give me around 180bhp
or more expensive mods to give me around 260bhp (but then running on premium unleaded only)

obviously the higher power sounds more fun, but not if it makes it a bit of a handful to drive (she's pretty good now to be honest!)

my question is, is it too much power for a road kitcar (luego viento). the nearest track is some 200 miles away so probably not take it there

there must be others out there with similar or higher power outputs, how do they behave on the road?

thanks for any advice/info

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

speedyxjs

posted on 22/11/10 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I think alot of locosters tune their little four pots to over 200hp and the rv8 is heavier(?). I shouldn't think 260 would be too bad and you should get used to it pretty quickly.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

bimbleuk

posted on 22/11/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm how to put this politely. The Viento isn't down there with the lightest kit cars and you have the V8 in there so I don't personally see you'd have too much issue with handling the power/torque. Obviously somewhat dictated by your driving style and control of your right foot

Get some driver coaching if you are lacking confidence. I have and it helped me hugely with car control.

FYI my Striker was 550 kg and had a supercharged 1.6 with 267BHP and 195 lbs ft. Biggest difference would be that you have significantly more low down torque but also weight over the wheels to aid traction.

RazMan

posted on 22/11/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
It is suprising how quickly you get used to the extra power and I can guarantee if you choose to go for the lower power mods you will regret it and then look at modding it again. 250bhp on a lightweight road car is good fun and you will love it.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 22/11/10 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have 321bhp in my viento from my 2L turbo nissan and its feckin mental

do it

Scotty

posted on 22/11/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
bugga!
that's the answer i wanted

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

02GF74

posted on 22/11/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
aim for 220 ish; 180 is notig

AdamR

posted on 22/11/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
So what do you have in the pipeline to get 260bhp?

That's (roughly) my eventual target also, so would be interested to hear what you have planned!

[Edited on 22/11/10 by AdamR]

franky

posted on 22/11/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
isn't it expensive to get decent power out of a RV8? How about putting in an Alfa lump?
Lightning

posted on 22/11/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
standard TVR 4litre 240Bhp actual on mine 223BHP
4.3,4.5,5.0 more than that. So not so difficult

Steve

bimbleuk

posted on 22/11/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR

That's (roughly) my eventual target also, so would be interested to hear what you have planned!

I was going to post earlier but decided not but now it's been brought up. I've seen quite a bit of money spent on the RV8 and not get the expected return. Worst case was a trike that had £9K spent on it but the tuners were idiots and made some basic errors and the power output was way below my standard LS1 (415 BHP & 400 lbs ft). To the other end where the garage in Cheltenham I use built an RV8 using modest parts and their experience but achieved over 300BHP and a very driveable engine with it. Has since been competing in the British Hill Climb champ in a Morgan quite successfully.

Scotty

posted on 22/11/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR

real steel catalogue, they seem to be a good company with decent prices (have dealt with them in past)

viper typhoon cam plus necessary bits (needed a new cam anyway) plus while stripping down thought i would rebore etc etc, this one was also recommended by some local tuners and they do know their stuff

the rover engine may not be the cheapest to tune but i'm set up for this as have all other bits in and running currently

Scotty

posted on 22/11/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
Hmm how to put this politely. The Viento isn't down there with the lightest kit cars and you have the V8 in there so I don't personally see you'd have too much issue with handling the power/torque. Obviously somewhat dictated by your driving style and control of your right foot

right foot , surely thats either on or off!!!

quote:

Get some driver coaching if you are lacking confidence. I have and it helped me hugely with car control.

its not a lack of confidence its an excess of stupidity

interestedparty

posted on 22/11/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you've got some magic then getting 260 out of an RV8 is quite expensive. I don't know how much you are thinking of spending, but I personally would be toying with the idea on american V8 if I was looking for more power. There comes a point where it's cheaper to go for a Chevy 5.7 than to upgrade an RV8, and the gearbox could be an issue which ever way you gom if you've got the LT77 at present.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

bimbleuk

posted on 23/11/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
Unless you've got some magic then getting 260 out of an RV8 is quite expensive. I don't know how much you are thinking of spending, but I personally would be toying with the idea on american V8 if I was looking for more power. There comes a point where it's cheaper to go for a Chevy 5.7 than to upgrade an RV8, and the gearbox could be an issue which ever way you gom if you've got the LT77 at present.

If weight was not an issue then the 5.3L iron block LSx based engines used in the GM pickups/trucks are a great source for a 300BHP+ standard engine. The Vortec 5300 engines in particular but they are in demand as a limited few are actually all alloy. I do hear of people buying them for $1000 in the states but one big draw back (to me anyway) is the auto box they come with, no manual option.

posted on 23/11/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
A bloke I did some work for is fitting this in an MX5. (Lexus 4L)
(pic stolen off the MX5 forum)

Paul G

Lexus 4L
Lexus 4L

interestedparty

posted on 23/11/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty

If weight was not an issue then the 5.3L iron block LSx based engines used in the GM pickups/trucks are a great source for a 300BHP+ standard engine. The Vortec 5300 engines in particular but they are in demand as a limited few are actually all alloy. I do hear of people buying them for $1000 in the states but one big draw back (to me anyway) is the auto box they come with, no manual option.

Auto boxes can be a lot of fun in a sportscar, personally I wouldn't hesitate. I know a lot of people are worried they might change gear mid corner, but if that was a worry then there are auto boxes which are rebuilt and modified to be virtually manual, Real Steel do a few of those.

bimbleuk

posted on 23/11/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
A bloke I did some work for is fitting this in an MX5. (Lexus 4L)
(pic stolen off the MX5 forum)

Paul G

Now the good news with the 1UZFE is you are starting near the 260BHP mark but as you can see in the pic it's a 4 cam engine which makes it wide for a se7en style kit car. Maybe not such a problem in the Viento? The other issue is again they all come with auto boxes and no easy bolt on manual box that I was aware of.

Yep I considered one of those as they cost are about 6 times less than my LS1 but after the box conversion cost, mounting fabrication and engine upgrades to match the LS1 it was costing just as much.

bimbleuk

posted on 23/11/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry if this thread has drifted a bit from the RV8 but I found this picture a simple way to show one of the reasons the SBC Chevy V8s are used widely. You can see how much more easily it can be made to fit in tighter spaces.

RazMan

posted on 23/11/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! When you see the size comparison the Small Block Chevy enging looks tiny - almost BEC material

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 23/11/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Wow! When you see the size comparison the Small Block Chevy enging looks tiny - almost BEC material

Gotta love those pushrods!

(Note use of appropriate American vernacular)

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 24/11/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
The 1uz is a good engine and will give you all the power you want with a few mods. It has some major disadvantages though- it's quite big (about 400mm square with no transmission) and there is no manual transmission that will bolt straight on, or flywheels.
Apparently the engine in stock form is good to about 500bhp with some careful forced inducting.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.