1st license done
1st and second cart champs done
beginners clubman done
beginners f/w drive done
amature clubman done
vw camper done
NASCAR 1&2 done
and 200 k in the bank!
Started with a civic then won another. Got the cart. Won a yaris and am now using an impreza spec c! Great fun

jabbahutt

posted on 24/11/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
didn't realise it was out yet. What's your verdict, worth the wait?

rayward

posted on 24/11/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
done 1st licence, and played the arcade version loads !

yeah i think it was worth the wait !!

Jasper

posted on 24/11/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth playing racing sims on a console without a wheel? I've played a few on my PC with a Momo wheel and it's great, but now moved the PC to the bedroom and nowhere to put it. Thinking about a PS3 or Xbox to go with the new TV, but won't bother if you really need a wheel to race as I'll be sat on the sofa. I know on the PC it was essential.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

prawnabie

posted on 24/11/10 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you do get a wheel, dont get the g25 or g27 as they ain't fully supported!
kipper

posted on 24/11/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
?????

I wonder what these kids are on about??????????
Denis the technophobe

Where did that go?
<<<<

loggyboy

posted on 24/11/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Big question is - its it better than Forza 3??

Ive been playing forza 3 for the last 48 hours since buying my Xbox, and im convinced it wont be, but willing to be put to rights if anyone has played both?

balidey

posted on 24/11/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a Forza 3 fan. But I certainly hope it IS better. Whats the point of releasing a game months after a rival and not moving the game on? Could almost be tempted to get a PS3 just for this one game.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

loggyboy

posted on 24/11/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I'm a Forza 3 fan. But I certainly hope it IS better. Whats the point of releasing a game months after a rival and not moving the game on? Could almost be tempted to get a PS3 just for this one game.

Its happened 100s of times before. Even new versions in the same series arent always better!

[Edited on 24/11/10 by loggyboy]

omega0684

posted on 24/11/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
in the specials bit there is a mercedes driving school challenge, in the beginners section on the far right there is a full lap of the nurburgring, to get gold you have to do it in under 8:49:00, i have just done it in 8:46:320!

Give it a try, it really is quite difficult!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 24/11/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey

Its called timescales .......... games take 10's of man years to develop these days. The design and initial core code are done very early on. If someone releases a game a few months before you - then its far too late to make any serious changes. Tweeking the physics is still an option. You're in the final test, tweek and bolt on tiny changes section of the development.

mcerd1

posted on 24/11/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
small hijack
just assuming for a moment that I was thinking about getting GT5.... (played GT3 to death when I was at uni - that was a long time ago )

I'd need a PS3 to play it on - which version of the PS3 is best ? (and cheapest)

-

tony9876

posted on 24/11/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone got a wheel recommendation other than the G25/G27?

Dont really fancy spency nearly 300 quid on a controller (you can build a full car for 50 quid less).

omega0684

posted on 24/11/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
rob if your going to get a ps3 get the latest slim on, they are smaller and lighter than the mk1, plus they don't seem to have the cooling issues the original one had

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dlatch

posted on 24/11/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
installing now
rayward

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
i bought this wheel from maplins...........

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=476943

no pedals, but is shaped to sit on your knee, so don;t need a table to sit it on

very impressed with it

Ray

prawnabie

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Its actually quite a poor game when you compare it to LFS which costs nothing for the basic version.
mcerd1

posted on 24/11/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
rob if your going to get a ps3 get the latest slim on, they are smaller and lighter than the mk1, plus they don't seem to have the cooling issues the original one had

I see you can get the 320Gb one in a bundle with GT5 on amazon etc. for the same as a 160gb + GT5 - but its still alot of money...

anyone know any really cheap deals going ?
(otherwise I think I'm probably going to spend the money on the dax and try to steal my wee brothers PS3 )

-

pekwah1

posted on 24/11/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
a quick forza/gt comparison:

I have always loved the gran turismo series, had every one as they came out....
However, came to deciding between a ps3 or xbox360 and got the xbox (mainly for the controller which is awesome), so obviously moved to forza.

Forza 2 was by far a gazillion times better than the gt series instantly and loved it entirely. Was massively excited about forza 3, again, superb game but lost interest quite quickly as it was barely different from forza2 bar some new views and a sleeker feel.

So then the gt5 prologue came out, i was decidedly unimpressed. Just didn't feel right at all to me somehow.

And then it was approximately 6 years later the real version came out which i've now been playing with my mate and i can honestly say i'm sold back to gt again. It really is a good piece of work, the feel of the cars is excellent and the way you get a sense of body roll and weight movement is very well done, as well as the way you lose traction etc.

So i was never biased to either platform but playing the different ones easily knew i was playing the better game. Now i'm just annoyed i don't have ps3 as i'd love to have gt5... can't afford it though so guess i'll see how long till forza 4!

daniel mason

posted on 24/11/10 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
i think the way to start is to win a few of the crappy level one events,with something like civic sir, then a couple of the specials to get some cash. once you have a car with around 200bhp enter the amateur clubman championship and you win a mugen motul civiv race car. once youre in that youre destroying everything!

contaminated

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
i think the way to start is to win a few of the crappy level one events,with something like civic sir, then a couple of the specials to get some cash. once you have a car with around 200bhp enter the amateur clubman championship and you win a mugen motul civiv race car. once youre in that youre destroying everything!

I won the civic race car early yesterday morning, but I've not found a race series (that I hadn't already won) I can use it in yet!

I'm up to Proffessional level and I need to buy an american muscle car to proceed now.

My thoughts so far are that the game play is superb. The physics are great - particularly lift off oversteer! Anyone used the Clio V6 yet - what a handful that is!

There are some bugs in it though. Some screens take an eternity to load and it has frozen on me a couple of times. One time I booted it up and it played the NASCAR video (with no voice over) for no reason on god's earth!

The online thing isn't working yet right? I think there is an update in December that should fix a few things.

Over all - worth the wait in my view. I am a die hard GT fan though.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

donut

posted on 25/11/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
OK peeps

I have reached LV 8 and there is still no Top Gear track in Arcade Mode. Anyone know which level it's available?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Liam

posted on 25/11/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Get mine hopefully today!!

I just read there are big problems with online congestion, which because the game constantly connects to the net, even during single player/menus/etc, all that is effected too. Sony's current solution is to disable your PS3's internet connection. Screwed if you want to play online.

Anyone fancy running some LCB races when it's all up and running?

Or we could do a LCB member in a reasonably priced car leaderboard

Liam

posted on 25/11/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
OK peeps

I have reached LV 8 and there is still no Top Gear track in Arcade Mode. Anyone know which level it's available?

I read you have to beat one of the test track challenges (VW vans or lotus elise) to unlock the track in practice mode. Dunno if that would unlock it in arcade mode too?

contaminated

posted on 25/11/10 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think the top gear track will appear in arcade mode - but here's hoping. It's used for part of your B Licence and there is a 3 part special event so far. First part is VW vans (I challenge anyone to do better than bloody second!), second part Lotus Elise (I challenge anyone to make it to the end of the first lap without being disqualified!).

On the PS3 I am containated (contaminated without the "m" - I was pi$$ed!) if anyone want's to be my friend!

[Edited on 25/11/10 by contaminated]

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.