Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: garage heaters
blakep82

posted on 28/11/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
garage heaters

yes, back on this again, not going to do any log burning or oil burning business, or plumbing, JUST electric, ok?

every year, i spend months thinking about what type of heater to get in the garage, and by the time i do all that thinking its warm again. well, i want to get some use out the garage this winter!

i'd usually always thought about IR heaters as they don't heat the air, but say it heats up me, thats good, will it heat up things like metals (chassis, tools etc) and let them start to give off some heat? or will it just heat me?

how about something like this? eBay Item is the spec of this reasonable for heating a garage, or will the heat disappear quicker than this puts it in? i can put it up in the beams of the roof you see, it would fit nicely, but worry thats its a bit under powered, and any higher power may cost too much to run

had thought about insulating the roof a bit, as in putting some thin ply or simial over the beams, and some insulation, but i'd rather spend the money on the car. and the car's right up to the main door, so can't really try insulating the door

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Bluemoon

posted on 28/11/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Horse for courses, I would go for a cheap IR heater, it will in principle heat most things in the garage, but takes time (metals are quite reflective in the IR so may not warm well). The advantage is you will be warmed as soon as it's switched on so quite efficient. Also will work even if a little drafty (just put the heater close to where your working. I used to use a 500w halogen lamp, I was warm/chill off and loads of light, same you can't get them anymore. I have use a fan heater before o.k but kicks up dust and takes longer to heat, find IR heater better in the garage.
Dangle_kt

posted on 28/11/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
After having air and ir heaters I'd ALWAYS use ir from now on.

I end up turning mine down after 30 minutes to an hour.

Tools etc don't get warm, or not that I notice. I have mine up at head height and works spot on.

[Edited on 28/11/10 by Dangle_kt]

Confused but excited.

posted on 28/11/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
IR heater and gloves every time. Oh , and a woolly hat.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

blakep82

posted on 28/11/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
so something like this then? eBay Item

my main thing i've not got brilliant circulation in my fingers, so its not so much me being cold, its my fingers (and toes) so thats why i was hoping for the IR heaters to heat up metals (ie tools) and stuff

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tegwin

posted on 28/11/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had one of those halogeon spotlight type things in my garage last year... did not do much...

You need a proper IR heater, not just a lamp that gives off red light... I was not impressed with it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

hobbsy

posted on 28/11/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I've got one of those - I think I paid a little bit more but it came with a spare bulb, its worth checking what you can buy a spare bulb for as they aren't cheap from what I remember (£15?). They probably last for ages though!

I mounted mine on a bit of wood so I can stick it on the floor a bit like a site light, it also comes out for BBQ's when it get cooler in the evening.

I'm still going to cook up an oil burner soon but that's a different thread (once I make some progress)

plentywahalla

posted on 28/11/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
A cubic metre of air per second blasting downwards on your head might be a bit uncomfortable for any length of time!

I would spend at least half the money on cheap insulation, and the rest on IR.

designer

posted on 28/11/10 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Halogen heater, half price now at Argos.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 28/11/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
ooh, this has confused me even more now. in the past, no one recommended IR heaters lol, now everyone is!

is a cubic metre of air a lot then? as a 3kw heater, it should take the chill out the air very quick shouldn't it? as well as warm up tools and stuff? i'd have it mounted up in the middle of the garage, so it would blow down on the car, not necessarily on me. i understand IR would be better for paint drying/curing though.

grazzledazzle

posted on 28/11/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I want some recommendations too. I rent my garage and don't intend being here once my car is built, and therefore don't really want to insulate it. I have found carpet on the floor makes a big difference, but i need a source of heat as my electric fan heater is useless. I have an old injury which makes my fingers useless in cold and i have yet to find a pair of gloves i can work in comfortably. Any recommendations?

Any view on those electric oil filled radiators to heat the space? The other bonus i have is the electricity is free so not overly concerned about running costs. I would build a log burner but landlord lives on site and would have a fit.

Has anyone got a link to anything they have bought which really works? Having sat under an IR lamp in a pub the other week i can confirm they are good, so if this is the way forward has anyone got a link to one they have had good experiences with?

blakep82

posted on 28/11/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer

noo, i tried one like that last year, it was cack! lol thanks anyways

plentywahalla

posted on 28/11/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
If the specs given for the air curtain heater are correct the cross section of the outlet is 1/20 of a sq metre so the air is doing 20 metres per sec, or approx 45mph.

Stick your head out of the window at 45mph and see!

Bluemoon

posted on 28/11/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

Humm if you have tried this kinda thing

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4150200.htm

And don't like it IR heaters are not for you (even the patio ones work on the same principles)..

They are best at close range as the heat falls of as 1/(distance^2) i.e. i'ts 4 times as hot at 0.5m than 1m...

Dan

blakep82

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
ah, i see! yeah, thats quite a lot... but for putting on to blast some hot air in to take the chill off for a few minutes, then turn it down for working?
i do tend to work with the doors open too, so i don't know.
i've got a tiny 3kw heater out there, which is hopeless, you can't feel it blowing unless you're right in front of it

blakep82

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

Humm if you have tried this kinda thing

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4150200.htm

And don't like it IR heaters are not for you (even the patio ones work on the same principles)..

They are best at close range as the heat falls of as 1/(distance^2) i.e. i'ts 4 times as hot at 0.5m than 1m...

Dan

it was one just like that, was flimsy, and badly made, didn't give much of a try on how well it worked, but maybe you're right, maybe i will go with that air curtain. we shall see

ashg

posted on 28/11/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
my workshop is insulated with a gas heater. i usually fire the heater up on all three bars for 20-30mins then drop it to one bar on the lowest setting which keeps it at around 16-17 deg with the window cracked open. a 20kg gas bottle usually lasts me a whole year so its pretty cheep to run. in the other workshop i have got a small petrol space heater but it costs a fortune to run all day and stinks the place out if you overfill it.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

thunderace

posted on 28/11/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
the only one that works is a ir heater ,it heats objects not air it needs to be a rel ir heater not a halegen with a red bulb
this sort of thing will work very well

RED RAD INFRA RED ELECTRIC HEATER ECONOMIC on eBay (end time 29-Nov-10 10:22:03 GMT)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.