Board logo

I'm looking to design a blade engined buggy, recommend me a forum!
bigbravedave - 30/11/10 at 12:47 PM

I spend 10 hours a day on a CAD station and for some time I’ve been looking to design a blade engined buggy, combining the best features of the rage buggies and drakarts, but with the simplicity of the z-cars style chain driven diff.

I currently do green laning on bikes, track days in the seven, and the odd bit off roading. And moving forward I can’t afford to run more than two vehicles (including the daily hack) so one “thing” that does all is the plan (and road legal) ahh the joy of IVA.....

I built a zx12 engined seven for an alternative to riding sports bikes, now I’m kind of looking for a 4 wheeled alternative to a supermoto bike.

Are there any other forums out there I can join for help and inspiration as this place has been a god send for building a seven.

Thanks in advance.

mangogrooveworkshop - 30/11/10 at 01:05 PM

LOCOSTBUILDERS.........
u2u me your address and i will send you the plans..
.your job mr cad man can make the files for cutting on the waterjet.
we can get some parts made up by Andywde who will cut the steel. Liam has the bender for the tubes.
malcolm has the engines.
macspeedy has the wishbone jig.
seabass wants to do one as well

[Edited on 30-11-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

[Edited on 30-11-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]buggy link

[Edited on 30-11-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Mad Dave - 30/11/10 at 01:15 PM

I go on here quite often. Its a great site with tons of build to get ideas from

Here's my buggy

Progress at 28.11.10
Progress at 28.11.10

Progress at 28.11.10
Progress at 28.11.10

mangogrooveworkshop - 30/11/10 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dave
I go on here quite often. Its a great site with tons of build to get ideas from

Here's my buggy

that looks very edgy like these two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6G6oEol2jA&feature=related

we got badlands plans

Richard Quinn - 30/11/10 at 01:33 PM

I've been toying with the idea but, being a social type of guy, I would quite like a 2 seater. I've even been looking at the Howies etc.

Mad Dave - 30/11/10 at 01:33 PM

quote:

that looks very edgy

Correct, although I have redesigned a lot of it and made tweaks to the chassis too

I've got the Bandlands plans too. They are much simpler that the Edge plans and I'm guessing much cheaper to build. The machining costs of the making an Edge Barracuda is well over £1k

quote:

I've been toying with the idea but, being a social type of guy, I would quite like a 2 seater. I've even been looking at the Howies etc.

Why not look at the two seater plans from Rorty or Badlands

[Edited on 30/11/10 by Mad Dave]

designer - 30/11/10 at 01:47 PM

Some free plans here:

http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http://www.buggywonderland.it/Paolo%2520Franceschetti/54.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/frame/572 2-free-plans-single-seater-buggy.html&h=806&w=1075&sz=363&tbnid=KuQhrZOKPlmnmM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfree% 2Bbuggy%2Bplans&zoom=1&q=free+buggy+plans&usg=__bsnceO7JztveWAubvenqpn6kT8w=&sa=X&ei=OgD1TNnGMIqAhQeQkb30BQ&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAQ

zilspeed - 30/11/10 at 02:08 PM

I knew ther had to be a reason for me buying that ZX6 engine...

mangogrooveworkshop - 30/11/10 at 02:25 PM

i have the badlands plans just looking to get the cad cut out files done

Mad Dave - 30/11/10 at 02:28 PM

quote:

I might be able to assist with that

mangogrooveworkshop - 30/11/10 at 03:10 PM

quote:
quote:

I might be able to assist with that

im all ears

carpmart - 30/11/10 at 03:11 PM

There is no alternative a Drakart

Mad Dave - 30/11/10 at 03:13 PM

quote:

im all ears

Have you already got the dxf files done? I have a pretty good cantact at a laser cutting co.

dilley - 30/11/10 at 04:50 PM

I am currently builing a 2 seater buggy with a busa fitted and a chain drive diff. Mad dave where did you get your shocks from?

carpmart - 30/11/10 at 05:06 PM

So, after my short five word post before, let me add a little detail.

I have owned CBR600 powered buggy, helped to build a ZX9 powered one and I am currently racing a blade powered Superlight (Drakart) for three seasons, so feel qualified to offer my tuppence worth!

What are you REALLY going to do with it once you have built this buggy? Difficult to really answer? the issue with one that you have fettled to make road legal is that it will be compromised in many areas. Your ZX12 engined car will perform better in every way than a buggy. If you have a field to use it in that is great. Been there and done that and there is only so much spinning around you can do before you get bored and want a little more.

That is where I got to and that is when I went for the Drakart (Superlight). You mention to replace your Supermoto bike, so I'll assume you know the NORA set-up. The Superlights run alongside this championship and have around 9 events per annum. Its a great supermoto mix of tarmac and shale, and its amazingly competitive and good fun!

You could indeed build your own buggy, which may even be better than a Rage or Drakart, but you would not be able to run in either the RX150 championship or the Superlight championship. I really think you should consider a Drakart!

HTH?

Mad Dave - 30/11/10 at 05:08 PM

quote:

where did you get your shocks from?

Milner Offroad in Matlock. They're Fox Air Shox, not cheap but look mega

bigbravedave - 30/11/10 at 06:39 PM

Wooaah! What have I started!

Mangogrooveworkshop: obviously locostbuilders is the best site for info, thanks for the badlands info, I kind of want to start with a blank sheet of paper, and model something new that’s more of an all round compromise then a balls out sandrail style animal. Maybe with the IVA book in mind.

CARPMART, I know where your coming from, unless these things are road legal, or part of a race series, or you live in the desert, I can see them not getting used much. Im familiar with the nora set up and superlites.

Basically I can’t afford to competitively race at this stage in life, I only really have the budget to run 2 cars including the daily hack so want something versatile, it doesn’t have to be brilliant at all disciplines, just brilliant fun. Something robust enough to green lane at bike speeds, Drift without knackering it, Be a bit of a rear engined holagan machine without the fear of repairing bodywork it goes goes wrong, but also able to do small circuits blyton etc.

Im just kinda thinking of what driving ive enjoyed most in life and what machine would make it the most fun, without owning 10 cars!

dilley - 30/11/10 at 07:50 PM

I have been wondering if we could have a seperate buggy forum....

ChrisW - 30/11/10 at 08:57 PM

We can if enough people want one...?

Chris

bigbravedave - 30/11/10 at 09:10 PM

Yes please! Im struggling to find a good uk one

dilley - 30/11/10 at 09:18 PM

Great! there seems to be plenty in the states.....

dilley - 30/11/10 at 09:20 PM

quote:
quote:

where did you get your shocks from?

Milner Offroad in Matlock. They're Fox Air Shox, not cheap but look mega

How much were they if you don't mind me asking? also, where did you get your steering rack? my current one is onl 3/4 turnd lock to lock! should be great at low speeds, but over 100mph???

Mad Dave - 1/12/10 at 07:53 AM

Dilley, my Air Shox were about £750 and the rack was bought from ebay (USA) and is similar to the Thin-Line Billet Rack & Pinion shown here

gixermark - 1/12/10 at 09:51 AM

if there was somewhere to test/race these over here I'd have one in a heartbeat... awesome looking fun..

T66 - 2/12/10 at 04:17 PM

www.offroadfabnet.com has a sand rail/buggy section, well worth a look , as is the rest of the site.

swiftyy - 11/12/10 at 01:12 PM

Im also looking for a buggy forum in the UK, ive currently been using minibuggy.net which is good for info but its mostly based on sand rails.
Im currently building a 2 seater badlands buggy which I would like to make road legal, I havent seen another one built so I dont really know if it will be up to iva spec.
Cortina and sierra hubs/driveshafts and diff, donor steering column etc so it might have a chance!

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/13740-badland-st4-build.html