Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heads up on snow on your car whilst driving
sonic

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Heads up on snow on your car whilst driving

Just been on the radio that as of tomorrow if plod catch people driving there cars with uncleared snow on there roof they are going to pull people over and fine them £60 and 3 points.

Worth clearing me thinks!

LBMEFM

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Boost the income for the police I suppose. I can see the point, ie brake hard and the snow slides forward blocking your view. But why not stop and advise drivers or maybe a media ad warning of the dangers, a few years ago the police were there to advise, assist and help protect people these days it seems it's lets exploit the public as a good source of income.
mookaloid

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
having been in a car once when all the snow slid forward off the roof and completely blocked the screen whilst slowing on a motorway, I can understand that

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MikeFellows

posted on 1/12/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
it happend to me today

driving along snow fell forward covering the windscreen

there was no panic and nothing scary. After a very brief moment of thought I used the windscreen wipers and everything returned to normal - scary times

omega 24 v6

posted on 1/12/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Heard about this and although it makes sense you'd not have thought it to be that high a criminal catching priority. OOOOPS I forgot it's not about catching criminals its abou making money/ hitting targets.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

balidey

posted on 1/12/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'm the only one round here that actually clears their car.
Do people see it is a status thing? ie look how much snow I have got.
Can they really drive with a letterbox size clear view out the front?
Sadly no one will get penalised over this in the real world

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

marcjagman

posted on 1/12/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Government will make a fortune in this weather then, think about it, stood in traffic in a snow blizzard and the snow will quickly build up on your roof.
l0rd

posted on 1/12/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
As i mentioned on a previous post, i nearly had an accident last year where the person drove off with their car full of snow and stopped in the middle of the main road to clean it up just after they left their house which was 50ft away.

Fine them all.

Isn't that careless driving after all?

I go out, defrost my car, clean up all the windows before i move it an inch every day.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/12/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'd heard that too. I know I added to the thread 'how much snow is on your car?' with the jape about the tailgater, but I always clear all the snow from my car before I drive off. Apart from the obvious risk of it covering your own windscreen on braking (which you won't be doing a lot of in the snow will you? ), it's all extra weight=less MPG, and being such a scrooge I want as many M's to the G as poss

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Gordy

posted on 1/12/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Police in Scotland held a press conference today and deny claims of 3 points and fines for driving with snow on your car, but advise you to clear snow off your car before driving it
JoelP

posted on 1/12/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
fully agree myself, at a minimum you neeed all windows competely clear and all lights too. If travelling anywhere at speed, the roof and bonnet need doing too. Its common sense and manners too since it might all blow onto the car behind.

UncleFista

posted on 1/12/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Seems its one of those viral text, email type things thats doing the rounds.

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/news/Humberside-Police-Snow-car-messages-bogus/article-2959809-detail/article.html

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

indykid

posted on 1/12/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
I go out, defrost my car, clean up all the windows before i move it an inch every day.

by the end of the week, it's 7 inches away

i saw a polo in huddersfield today that must have had about 8 or 9" of snow on its roof. i was quite impressed! i also saw a guy in a volvo shit himself as he slowed to traffic lights and the snow slid over the screen.

trucks seem to be worst on the motorway for snow blowing off them, though i do find it entertaining to watch the airflow as the snow plots the streamlines

morcus

posted on 2/12/10 at 03:51 AM Reply With Quote
It would be wrong to issue fines and points as the police couldn't prove the snow had been there when you set off.

It should be common courtesy to clear the worst of it, which would explain why the idiots who pull out infront of you and drive around at less than 10mph are usually the ones with huge amounts of snow on top of there cars which all flies into your windscreen, and adds to the snow that would just blow over the top if you were moving at a decent speed.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

kj

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Well it was going to be road safety week and as they can't make money off speeding they may as well get the christmas party paid for by other means.

Noticed a copper last night pulling into the middle of the road for what looked like nothing untill the bloke on the bike dressed in black and no lights went past, why did they not stop him or was it too cold for him to get out of his warm police car?

[Edited on 2/12/10 by kj]

[Edited on 2/12/10 by kj]

scootz

posted on 2/12/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see the problem. Many accidents are caused by snow sliding from the roof and obstructing the drivers view. At this time of the year EVERY precaution should be taken to make travel as safe as possible.

There is NO EXCUSE for not clearing snow off your car. None whatsoever! It's just laziness, ignorance and damn disregard for safety!

It's Evolution Baby!

Benzine

posted on 2/12/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
There is NO EXCUSE for not clearing snow off your car. None whatsoever!

Not driving it on the road is a good one

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 3/12/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Problem is I cant quite reach the to of my truck!

I carry a brush and remove as much as I can before I set off though.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

morcus

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
But what happens when a few inches of snow falls on your car whilst your stuck on the motorway?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.