Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help! Mobile phone problem.
Confused but excited.

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Help! Mobile phone problem.

Anyone on here a mobile phone guru?

I have been with O2 for some years without any problem.
Originally went with them from Vodaphone because O2 had the best coverage where I live. Their map shows standard coverage for my area.
Never had any problems until earlier this year. Now My signal goes from full strength to zero and back in three seconds.
I get cut off in the midddle of a conversation and have to re-dial.
One O2 number that I try to ring shows 'call rejected' but the owner of that phone doesn't know why.
I constantly get 'no service' or 'emergency calls only'.
Sometimes have no signal for hours.
O2 investigated and came to the conclusion the problem is geographical. the only problem with that is that hills don't move that quickly.
I can see the cell tower from the bottom of my road. it is less than a mile away from my home.
When I pointed out that I have a cardiac condition and need a working phone, as I don't want to be cut off as I am ringing for an ambulance, the cheeky maggot at O2 advised me to get a land line. Seemed quite put out when I said I already have one but it's not much use if I am half way down the road.
In desperation I went into the Vodaphone shop and asked what coverage is like for my postcode. The map showed good coverage, so I bought a cheapo PAYG phone for a tenner to try. It's just the bloody same!
O2 state that they have no issues with this area, as do Vodaphone.
I have tried three different sim cards, in three different phones, including getting a new Nokia X6. All with the same results.
Somebody please tell me WTF is going on, before I crack up all together.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

SeanStone

posted on 2/12/10 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have a similar problem when I'm at the parents house. I get over it by only allowing my phone to connect to a 2g service.

I'd reccomend trying an older phone that doesn't support 3G. If that doesn't work I don't know what to suggest apart from keeping on at the service providers. If you do then they'll put you onto a proper engineer who will talk to you about the specific problem, what can cause it and what they can do. They'll log all the conversations and you are very much in the position to ask for money off a least due to you not receiving the service you are described as being able to receive

mediabloke

posted on 2/12/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds exactly like my t-mobile smartphone. If I disable the data connection during a flaky call, the call quality improves immensely. Only happens in areas of limited coverage, but it's saved my bacon a few times. Disabling Outlook's scheduled send & receive before disabling the data connection reduces the no. of disconnections.

If it's an emergency-use phone for which you don't need data, this might work for you - presuming there's a way to do this with your phone.

HTH - Francis.

ashg

posted on 3/12/10 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
any chance your near a military base or something like a bae systems place? i only ask because they make, use, test comms scramblers designed for stopping IED's being exploded remotely on our boys and girls out in Taliban land

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Confused but excited.

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys.
The problem started in March and has got progressively worse.
Reasons from O2 so far;
1) I live near the sea. (the mast is directly across an open bay from me. Duh!).
2) Atmospheric conditions (Same thing happens rain, hail or shine).
3) I was using a 2G phone and they only supply a 3G sim card. (Bought new phone, still the same).
4) Local geography. (Except the signal varies in seconds between no signal and full signal).
I have come to the conclusion that O2 simply can't be arsed.

Would this happen if my local area was only 2G enabled and I have a 3g phone? Don't know what I'm talking about, just grasping at straws.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

SeanStone

posted on 3/12/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
it is possble to have a weak 3g service while having a stable 2g service yes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.